E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > New guy- USAF- GA

06-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Wink New guy- USAF- GA

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just thought I'd start by saying hello in the Souteast regional forum since I'm in the Air Force and currently stationed in Warner Robins, GA (anybody else in the area?). Anyhow, I'm currently deployed at the moment and plan on buying a used 335i coupe when I get back home (03' G35 now) so I decided to join this forum to learn about the car ahead of time and decide on mods, etc. I've read through the forums quite a bit before registering and there seems to be a ton of great info and a lot of support from vendors which is cool. Hope to discuss more in detail with you guys once I get the new car but feel free to offer an suggestions that may be helpful in deciding where to buy and what options to look, etc. Take care!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
deltasam
Keep Tunning
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92TT/S2K/MDX

Garage List
Welcome ^_^
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Sojourn76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Where are you deployed and when are you getting back?
I'll guess Doha by your home base.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Welcome to the forums! I got out of the Marine Corps a little while back. I'm sure you'll have a nice chunk of change when you get back from deployment. I did 3 pumps in 4 years as a grunt. Personally, I didn't have much $$ to show from them because I was always in the mindset that "the next one might kill me", so I might as well enjoy it while I can. Well needless to say, I'm still alive (and well), and out of the Corps wishing that had saved it. I could have bought an 08+ M3 with cash, had I have done that. Combat pay + tax free is like winning the lottery when you get back...well, except for the fact that you had to risk your life to play this game.

Anyhow, take a look around and do as much research as you can prior to purchasing anything. There's quite a bit of knowledge in these forums and a vast majority of the aftermarket parts have been discussed and debated. Just remember to ask questions prior to purchasing a 335, as a good bit of them have been requiring new fuel pumps due to mechanical failure. Some have been in multiple times to fix this issue. They are also notorious for going into "limp mode" (reduced power) when the engine gets hot. Apparently the engines hit the set temp. quite easily, as some cant make more than a few passes on a track without the CEL light turning on. Personally, I'd only buy a used 335 if it had less than 20,000 miles on it and was a CPO. I almost bought one initially, but got turned off by those two factors and ended up getting the 3 sedan (e90) instead. Havent had one problem with it since I purchased it.

Stay safe out there, and if your in the 'stan, keep your head low and eyes open. Especially watch out for the IEDs and EFPs, as they've recently been testing the waters with smaller sized explosives (50-100lb) to see how much they need to blow up MRAPs. Heard its getting worse every day, as poppy harvesting is over and now they're manufacturing and distributing. I've had 8 friends from my last unit get blown up in the past few months. 2 KIA...may they rest in peace.
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn76 View Post
Where are you deployed and when are you getting back?
I'll guess Doha by your home base.
I don't want to violate any OPSEC rules or anything like that... but you seem to know a thing or two about deployments. I should be back in the states within a few months, but nothing is ever for certain. I just go where 'the man' tells me to. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital01 View Post
Welcome to the forums! I got out of the Marine Corps a little while back. I'm sure you'll have a nice chunk of change when you get back from deployment. I did 3 pumps in 4 years as a grunt. Personally, I didn't have much $$ to show from them because I was always in the mindset that "the next one might kill me", so I might as well enjoy it while I can. Well needless to say, I'm still alive (and well), and out of the Corps wishing that had saved it. I could have bought an 08+ M3 with cash, had I have done that. Combat pay + tax free is like winning the lottery when you get back...well, except for the fact that you had to risk your life to play this game.

Anyhow, take a look around and do as much research as you can prior to purchasing anything. There's quite a bit of knowledge in these forums and a vast majority of the aftermarket parts have been discussed and debated. Just remember to ask questions prior to purchasing a 335, as a good bit of them have been requiring new fuel pumps due to mechanical failure. Some have been in multiple times to fix this issue. They are also notorious for going into "limp mode" (reduced power) when the engine gets hot. Apparently the engines hit the set temp. quite easily, as some cant make more than a few passes on a track without the CEL light turning on. Personally, I'd only buy a used 335 if it had less than 20,000 miles on it and was a CPO. I almost bought one initially, but got turned off by those two factors and ended up getting the 3 sedan (e90) instead. Havent had one problem with it since I purchased it.

Stay safe out there, and if your in the 'stan, keep your head low and eyes open. Especially watch out for the IEDs and EFPs, as they've recently been testing the waters with smaller sized explosives (50-100lb) to see how much they need to blow up MRAPs. Heard its getting worse every day, as poppy harvesting is over and now they're manufacturing and distributing. I've had 8 friends from my last unit get blown up in the past few months. 2 KIA...may they rest in peace.

digital01 thanks for the heads up, I appreciate your insight! And yea, since we don't really spend much money out here+ tax free+ hostile fire etc etc I've been able to save up enough to have some fun with when I get back (new car won't be stock for long lol) Sorry for loss btw, I've had a few friends pass away while deployed as well About the HPFP, I was reading about that recently and the lack of an aftermarket fix does concern me quite a bit but I also read that BMW had covered that part up to 120k miles regardless of warranty so I would have to say that if I decide against the E92 it won't be for that reason alone. As for the cooling issues, I would upgrade the FMIC and Oil cooler right off the bat anyways so that shouldn't be much of a problem as long as I don't beat the car to death at the track and I'm not one for taking my daily driver to the track so that shouldn't really be an issue I don't think (I could be wrong, not aware of any cooling issues with FMIC+Oil cooler upgrade). Again thanks for the advice and I'll def be keeping those things in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Sojourn76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

good for you, be careful, keep safe, stay away from the aussie bar and we'll see you when you get back.
But yeah been there done that... 8 years Army and 5 years civ. contractor, 2 of those spent at the Died.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn76 View Post
good for you, be careful, keep safe, stay away from the aussie bar and we'll see you when you get back.
But yeah been there done that... 8 years Army and 5 years civ. contractor, 2 of those spent at the Died.
hooah!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
TopSpeed Motorsports
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 135i

Welcome!!

-Tyler
TopSpeed Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Welcome and wish you luck on your future BMW.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeed Motorsports View Post
Welcome!!

-Tyler
TopSpeed Motorsports
Thanks! I'll probably be visiting you guys within the next few months for help with installations
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
TopSpeed Motorsports
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFsince2008 View Post
Thanks! I'll probably be visiting you guys within the next few months for help with installations
That's what I like to hear Feel free to call the shop and ask for Tyler if you have any questions!

-Tyler
TopSpeed Motorsports
678-297-7770
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Crimson Red E92

I'm in Warner Robins, work on base, and pretty much grew up here since 95'. Welcome to the board!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawjaDawg View Post
I'm in Warner Robins, work on base, and pretty much grew up here since 95'. Welcome to the board!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
noobster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

in wartown too. know any good indy shops around the area for maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobster View Post
in wartown too. know any good indy shops around the area for maintenance?
There's Imports Only but they're really overpriced and I've heard some bad stories. What do you need done? oil changes are fairly simple when you do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
noobster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

actually i don't need maintenance, but I want to get an end of warranty inspection to get any issues that I have fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #18
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobster View Post
actually i don't need maintenance, but I want to get an end of warranty inspection to get any issues that I have fixed.
Search around Macon, they should have something up there.
Appreciate 0