E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Anyone here using BMW Twin Power Turbo 5W30?

02-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Anyone here using BMW Twin Power Turbo 5W30?

My N52 which has fairly low mileage and isn't using oil has always been running BMW LL01 spec Castrol Magnetec Professional 5W30 (serviced more frequently that normal BMW schedule), but I am aware of the possibility of long term sludge build-up and the typical varnishing is somewhat noticeable. I don't want to chop and change oil brands and types, so if I change to a different oil, it needs to be the oil to use going forward.

Is BMW Twin Power Turbo 5W30 a good oil choice for these engines, or am I going to make a mistake putting her on this? I also have an E46 330i M Sport with the M54 motor which I am then also considering changing over to this oil.

Please bear in mind I am in a generally warm climate, so it never gets that close to freezing here.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The BMW 5w30 is pretty good oil. What is the availability of Castrol Edge 0w40 in your area?

In my area it is cheaper than the BMW oil, easier to find, and carries the BMW LL-01 certification.

I run it in the E90 325xi with the N52 and a 2004 330xi E46 with the M54. Both run very smooth and the engines are very clean inside.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've been on extended drain intervals for 12 years using BMW's oil and OE/OEM (MANN) filters. I've been in both the top end and bottom end of the engine and found no sludge whatsoever. There is nothing wrong with BMW's oil and you can use it with confidence.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've been on extended drain intervals for 12 years using BMW's oil and OE/OEM (MANN) filters. I've been in both the top end and bottom end of the engine and found no sludge whatsoever. There is nothing wrong with BMW's oil and you can use it with confidence.
BMW if I am correct now use Shell Oil and have them put the oil in a Plastic container with the BMW logo.

Previously Castrol had the contact.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The BMW 5w30 is pretty good oil. What is the availability of Castrol Edge 0w40 in your area?

In my area it is cheaper than the BMW oil, easier to find, and carries the BMW LL-01 certification.

I run it in the E90 325xi with the N52 and a 2004 330xi E46 with the M54. Both run very smooth and the engines are very clean inside.
Well, I am still trying to decide whether to stick with what the cars have always been running, and specifically the current BMW oil, and I would prefer to stay with the current viscosity even though on the M54, which is using oil (typical oil control ring issues), 5W40 is usually preferred.

I think Castrol Edge 0W40 is most likely available here, or maybe a slightly different viscosity.

Quote:
Yep, I know about your thoughts on BMW oil and the service intervals, and I still think that the fact that your cars do high annual mileage from mostly long distance driving does help - it's the cars that do much shorter daily driving with the extended service intervals that seem to be affected. At least that's how I see it.

At the end of the day, I have no real problem continuing with the Castrol 5W30 oil that both cars have been running, but it comes down to the cleaning properties of the different oils. So I gather either way, I am fine to continue using the existing oil or the current BMW oil?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger007 View Post
BMW if I am correct now use Shell Oil and have them put the oil in a Plastic container with the BMW logo.

Basically yes, and I don't doubt for a second that it has less to do with oil quality than it does with who got the best partnership deal. Also, something that does possibly play a part in making an informed decision, I suspect that most of these new BMW oils are better tailored to their newer all turbo-charged engines, and not as much for our older NA engines, but I could be wrong...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Basically yes, and I don't doubt for a second that it has less to do with oil quality than it does with who got the best partnership deal. Also, something that does possibly play a part in making an informed decision, I suspect that most of these new BMW oils are better tailored to their newer all turbo-charged engines, and not as much for our older NA engines, but I could be wrong...
For myself all this shall I use this oil or that oil is a lot of hype, if you are using a good quality oil that meets the spec so be it.

The critical part is changing the oil and filter frequently, forget about the BMW given service plan.

The cost of good quality oil and a filter is peanuts compared to the cost of having engine and turbo issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For myself all this shall I use this oil or that oil is a lot of hype, if you are using a good quality oil that meets the spec so be it.

The critical part is changing the oil and filter frequently, forget about the BMW given service plan.

The cost of good quality oil and a filter is peanuts compared to the cost of having engine and turbo issues.
I agree with that. I cannot bring myself to allow an engine to run on the same oil no matter how good it is for such a lengthy interval - these engines are pretty fussy when it comes to oil quality and condition, so as you say, why cut costs on this when potentially later on you have a sore engine.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
wkh023002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n54 335i E93

this is good enough for street use. Even for sometimes WOT running!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkh023002 View Post
this is good enough for street use. Even for sometimes WOT running!
You referring to both the new BMW oil and the older Castrol BMW oil I gather?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What is your point? The OP asked who has experience with BMW Twin Turbo 5W-30. I've used BMW oil since day one. BMW doesn't make it's own oil, so it's no different if they switch suppliers for other parts. If it meets BMW spec then it meets the requirements for my engine.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I am still trying to decide whether to stick with what the cars have always been running, and specifically the current BMW oil, and I would prefer to stay with the current viscosity even though on the M54, which is using oil (typical oil control ring issues), 5W40 is usually preferred.

I think Castrol Edge 0W40 is most likely available here, or maybe a slightly different viscosity.

Yep, I know about your thoughts on BMW oil and the service intervals, and I still think that the fact that your cars do high annual mileage from mostly long distance driving does help - it's the cars that do much shorter daily driving with the extended service intervals that seem to be affected. At least that's how I see it.

At the end of the day, I have no real problem continuing with the Castrol 5W30 oil that both cars have been running, but it comes down to the cleaning properties of the different oils. So I gather either way, I am fine to continue using the existing oil or the current BMW oil?

You guys worry way to much about oil. I hope you worry way more about what you kids are being taught in school than the oil used in your car because the kids are far more important. My 2 cents. If you have a concern on the oil protection of your engine, just have Blackstone eval the oil for you.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-20-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #13
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You guys worry way to much about oil. I hope you worry way more about what you kids are being taught in school than the oil used in your car because the kids are far more important. My 2 cents. If you have a concern on the oil protection of your engine, just have Blackstone eval the oil for you.
I definitely agree with you there!

To be honest, I haven't even used Blackstone to check my car's oil, but I know a few people where I am that have. I should maybe see how they get the samples sent over and what the process all entails. My biggest concern is the slightly noticeable varnish effect that is typical of the Castrol oils, but that doesn't mean to say that by changing to a different oil brand it is going to work miracles and clean it off, and I am reluctant to use engine flush treatments, especially in the N52 at this point. So, it's a toss up between just sticking with what I know and have been using for now, or just changing over to the new BMW oil. Might be a case of roll the dice.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I definitely agree with you there!

To be honest, I haven't even used Blackstone to check my car's oil, but I know a few people where I am that have. I should maybe see how they get the samples sent over and what the process all entails. My biggest concern is the slightly noticeable varnish effect that is typical of the Castrol oils, but that doesn't mean to say that by changing to a different oil brand it is going to work miracles and clean it off, and I am reluctant to use engine flush treatments, especially in the N52 at this point. So, it's a toss up between just sticking with what I know and have been using for now, or just changing over to the new BMW oil. Might be a case of roll the dice.
I've been on the BMW Shell oil 5W-30 for 44,000 miles now at 10,000 mile OCI. I've noticed a possible slight increase in oil consumption; I don't keep perfect records of oil adds, but she runs as good as always. From what I can see of the valvetrain, no sludge buildup whatsoever. If you change at 7,500 then you are worrying too much. BMW 5W-30 is good oil.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've been on the BMW Shell oil 5W-30 for 44,000 miles now at 10,000 mile OCI. I've noticed a possible slight increase in oil consumption; I don't keep perfect records of oil adds, but she runs as good as always. From what I can see of the valvetrain, no sludge buildup whatsoever. If you change at 7,500 then you are worrying too much. BMW 5W-30 is good oil.

My 2 cents.
Thanks. Well, the car is booked in for its dealer service, and I have decided to just keep her on what she's been on all this time, and I reckon the same goes for the E46. You mentioned a possible and slight increase in oil consumption since changing to the new BMW (Shell) oil - I've heard some others mention similar, and some mentioning an increase in valvetrain noise on the M54 in their case. So I reckon probably just safer to stick to what I know and what these cars have been running through the years. And yes, oil changes are done even more frequently than that since they are not high annual mileage driven.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #16
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Oil discussions are commonplace and everyone has their own magic witchcraft formula. I would listen to manufacturer recommendations and oil test results such as Blackstone labs.

To answer you question, the 5W-30 BMW oil will work excellent, it is full synthetic and used across most BMWs other than the M cars' 10W-60.
I'd stick to that, or if you want get a LL-01 full synthetic from Castrol, which is BMW's supplier.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #17
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphss View Post
Oil discussions are commonplace and everyone has their own magic witchcraft formula. I would listen to manufacturer recommendations and oil test results such as Blackstone labs.

To answer you question, the 5W-30 BMW oil will work excellent, it is full synthetic and used across most BMWs other than the M cars' 10W-60.
I'd stick to that, or if you want get a LL-01 full synthetic from Castrol, which is BMW's supplier.
LOL, yes, oil questions are always tricky - as you say, everyone has their opinions and beliefs and wisdom to share. So it is sometimes tricky to read through the bias and nonsense to get to the actual good advice. And existing oil threads are usually pages upon pages long.

Thanks, for now, I have opted to stick with what my cars have been running from the start which is the proper BMW spec to begin with, so maybe next time I will revisit this and give the new BMW oil a try.

Appreciate 0