E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > BMW Outdoor Car Cover question?

12-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
its.showtime
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
BMW Outdoor Car Cover question?

I recently purchased a e93 oem outdoor bmw cover. The person at the dealership said that it's weatherproof and ideal for outdoor climate conditions. My car has been sitting in my driveway covered with the cover for about 3 days now. Weather has been kinda wet with flurry's and light snow fall.
Tonight i decided to look under the cover just to see some observation and i noticed that the underside of the cover is pretty damp(condensation), some areas under the cover even have frozen droplets, Since the temp. dropped below freezing that water\condensation caused it to freeze.

I thought the whole purpose for the cover is to keep my car nice and dry. Is this normal or should i contact bmw and complain?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

No, it's not normal. I take it, it is a genuine BMW cover specifically for the E93 (other models use different covers): BMW roundel on the hood, adjustable elastic cord around the lower edge, a short (12") zip down the driver-side rear corner, and very tight fit length-wise.

You'll notice there are two breather flaps, one either side of the roof. I'm guessing they allow any air that enters from the bottom to escape, otherwise the cover could be torn off. I always park with the rear of the car facing the prevailing winds, so as to minimise the chance of rain being driven in through these flaps.

Where I live we get torrential rain, high winds (80mph + ), high temperatures (40+ Celcius) and fairly cold nights (- minus 17 Celsius recently); the car is parked in an open area with no protection other than the cover.

I always wash and THOROUGHLY DRY the car before fitting the cover.

The car is always dry when I remove the cover, and the only reservation I have is that movement in high winds may damage the paint, hence the wash and dry procedure before fitting. So far the is no sign of any damage. Oddly enough, I'm more concerned with damage from the sun or frost, than from rain.

I need to get a big garage ASAP.

So yes, if it's allowing water in, I'd be knocking on the dealer's door. After all, it's not a cheap cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The OEM cover is breathable. Nothing wrong with a little water getting under there. It's normal, OP.
      12-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I've had my cover for 5 years, and yes, sometimes there is condensation when I remove the cover. No harm done. I would say it's normal because it's breathable. The cover has gone through some really heavy rain, major snow storms and has held up really well. BMW recommends washing it with Fantastic heavy duty cleaner. I take it to a commercial laundromat, then let it air dry. 5 years, and still going strong. Really great cover, even my neighbor can't believe my car looks like I just washed it when I remove the cover. You will satisfied with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Yea, it's normal dude. All breathable covers will let some water in.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
its.showtime
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Well that's reassuring then! It's just that the sales rep told me the car would stay 100% dry so it through me off a little.

Thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0