E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > McLaren Confirms Sub-7 minute P1 Nurburgring Lap With Awesome Video!

12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
McLaren Confirms Sub-7 minute P1 Nurburgring Lap With Awesome Video!

Quote:
This has to rate as one of the finest videos of a lap around the Nurburgring Nordschleife that we’ve seen. Big Commitment, some rather large balls, and a very fast car. - See more at: http://www.carmagblog.co.za/video/mc....MvTXJisT.dpuf
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Full video or it didn't happen, McLaren

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

cool video. So whats the final time 6:59.999?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
TOX1C
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Rumor is they lapped around Nordschleife in 6:47. Apparently they're holding the time back so Ferrari doesn't have a benchmark to lap.

The Nissan Nismo channel even took shots at McLaren's time on the youtube comments. So much controversy around the sub 7-minute lap they claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX1C View Post
Rumor is they lapped around Nordschleife in 6:47. Apparently they're holding the time back so Ferrari doesn't have a benchmark to lap.

The Nissan Nismo channel even took shots at McLaren's time on the youtube comments. So much controversy around the sub 7-minute lap they claim.
I'm not sure why there's controversy over the lap time. I'm sure it will make it without a problem, just by how much we'll have to see.

I mean this car is around 3100lbs, 903hp and has active aero. Why is this so hard to believe vs. the NISMO GT-R, which weighs at least 400lbs more and has 300 less hp and no active aero. If the NISMO did a 7:08 why would it be so hard to comprehend that this thing could cut 10 or 20 seconds off? On longer straights alone the acceleration delta between the two will be mind blowing. Then you have added downforce on the McLaren for slower turns that will lessen in straights so it doesn't affect straight line speed due to the active aero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_P1
http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/12/06/m...der-7-minutes/

Yes, I'm sure this is just a teaser and they will publish the entire lap with the official time.

I don't think Ferrari will take the LaFerrari to the 'Ring themselves. I don't ever remember them taking a car there in recent memory. Someone else with DEEP pockets will have to loan someone a car and try to best the McLaren time without messing up the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Great video. I can understand why they wouldn't want to release the time at this point. Let Ferrari see what they can do (with their typical juiced ringer car) then release it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Great vid, that car sounds awesome
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
TOX1C
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I'm not sure why there's controversy over the lap time. I'm sure it will make it without a problem, just by how much we'll have to see.

I mean this car is around 3100lbs, 903hp and has active aero. Why is this so hard to believe vs. the NISMO GT-R, which weighs at least 400lbs more and has 300 less hp and no active aero. If the NISMO did a 7:08 why would it be so hard to comprehend that this thing could cut 10 or 20 seconds off? On longer straights alone the acceleration delta between the two will be mind blowing. Then you have added downforce on the McLaren for slower turns that will lessen in straights so it doesn't affect straight line speed due to the active aero.

Yes, I'm sure this is just a teaser and they will publish the entire lap with the official time.

I don't think Ferrari will take the LaFerrari to the 'Ring themselves. I don't ever remember them taking a car there in recent memory. Someone else with DEEP pockets will have to loan someone a car and try to best the McLaren time without messing up the car.
I'm pretty sure they've been extensively testing the LaFerrari on the Nordschleife. With where these new hypercars are going, everything is centered around lap times on the Nordschleife.

Also, the NISMO GT-R is not a fair example to look at when looking at their lap time. Rumor has it they completely remapped their ECU to push at least 200+ hp, if not more. (Truthfully wouldn't doubt it because as soon as they blow a motor, they drop a new one in). They also redid the suspension and shed even more weight from their production vehicle. I take their time with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
There is a McLaren showroom right next to my office and i usually go there trying to spot MP4's flaws to please my ego and as a result i'm very close to the sellers. One of them told me that potential customers are very curious about ring lap times and in response McLaren said a mid 6 minutes on hand cut slick tires!!

Quote:
Also, the NISMO GT-R is not a fair example to look at when looking at their lap time. Rumor has it they completely remapped their ECU to push at least 200+ hp, if not more. (Truthfully wouldn't doubt it because as soon as they blow a motor, they drop a new one in). They also redid the suspension and shed even more weight from their production vehicle. I take their time with a grain of salt.
Everyone does that to be honest. It's a go big or go home, in this case big includes "ring tweaks". Different tires, brakes, suspension setups, aerodynamics, engine tunes etc... Ring lap times nowadays are just a part of marketing.

Last edited by Soorena; 12-07-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
TOX1C
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
There is a McLaren showroom right next to my office and i usually go there trying to spot MP4's flaws to please my ego and as a result i'm very close to the sellers. One of them told me that potential customers are very curious about ring lap times and in response McLaren said a mid 6 minutes on slicks!!

Everyone does that to be honest. It's a go big or go home, in this case big includes "ring tweaks". Different tires, brakes, suspension setups, aerodynamics, engine tunes etc... Ring lap times nowadays are just a part of marketing.
ehhhh. I see where you're coming from and I agree to an extent. Depends on what class we're talking about, etc.. I believe Porsche and McLaren tested their cars as if they came off the production line. At the end of the day, 100% of these owners will never lap their hypercars around the Nurburgring and if they do, they'll never get close to that lap time.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
JButtonMCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Does anyone know who drove the lap or who drives the laps for McLaren or Ferrari?

Would it be the top drivers they can get their hands on, which I'm assuming would be the F1 drivers. For McLaren it'd be Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen? Or do they use someone else to put in the best lap times possible?

Would Ferrari put Alonso in the LaFerrari to try to do the best lap time at the Nurburgring?

If not, why don't they grab one of the drivers in their F1 stable to drive it? Since F1 drivers are the pinnacle of motorsports and are probably the best drivers in the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButtonMCL View Post
Does anyone know who drove the lap or who drives the laps for McLaren or Ferrari?

Would it be the top drivers they can get their hands on, which I'm assuming would be the F1 drivers. For McLaren it'd be Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen? Or do they use someone else to put in the best lap times possible?

Would Ferrari put Alonso in the LaFerrari to try to do the best lap time at the Nurburgring?

If not, why don't they grab one of the drivers in their F1 stable to drive it? Since F1 drivers are the pinnacle of motorsports and are probably the best drivers in the world.
Knowing the car you are driving and also the track you driving in is a key part. They probably let someone who's familiar with both do the driving part.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy94gt View Post
cool video. So whats the final time 6:59.999?
I have a feeling it will be something like this..

Quote:

Exactly! It's really not that hard to believe. It's performance is blistering..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Great video. I can understand why they wouldn't want to release the time at this point. Let Ferrari see what they can do (with their typical juiced ringer car) then release it.
Yeah I think that's a major factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK335iMSport View Post
Great vid, that car sounds awesome
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButtonMCL View Post

Because none of them knows the Nordschleife. You need hundreds of laps to be able to drive at the limit there. That's why all car manufacturers have specific test driver on the Ring in the industry pool testing. And why Walter Röhrl can still drive sub 7 minutes lap times.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
JButtonMCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Knowing the car you are driving and also the track you driving in is a key part. They probably let someone who's familiar with both do the driving part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Because none of them knows the Nordschleife. You need hundreds of laps to be able to drive at the limit there. That's why all car manufacturers have specific test driver on the Ring in the industry pool testing. And why Walter Röhrl can still drive sub 7 minutes lap times.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Oh I see!

Understood. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they've been extensively testing the LaFerrari on the Nordschleife. With where these new hypercars are going, everything is centered around lap times on the Nordschleife.

Got it. I was just using the comparison of the NISMO since you had posted that the NISMO team were taking pot shots at the lap time.

TBH: There has always been some sort of skepticism with the GT-Rs lap times, especially around the 'Ring. When pushed on other circuits in head-to-head comparisons with stock vehicles, the GT-R never seemed to be that quick (and even slower) when compared to other cars that would be deemed competitors. We all know, as many have stated, it's really easy to put a tune on a turbo car and got at an all out lap time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
TOX1C
Rep

Quote:
Got it. I was just using the comparison of the NISMO since you had posted that the NISMO team were taking pot shots at the lap time.

TBH: There has always been some sort of skepticism with the GT-Rs lap times, especially around the 'Ring. When pushed on other circuits in head-to-head comparisons with stock vehicles, the GT-R never seemed to be that quick (and even slower) when compared to other cars that would be deemed competitors. We all know, as many have stated, it's really easy to put a tune on a turbo car and got at an all out lap time.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0