E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Copied Dvd nav discs question (ccc)

11-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Snoopy Singh
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E92 335D

Copied Dvd nav discs question (ccc)

Will copied dvd navigation discs shorten the life span of my dvd drive. Although the copied dvd is working fine, it sounds like the drive is working a lot harder to read the copied disc than the original disc.

anyone have any thoughts

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

How so ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
temelj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M '08

Garage List
2008 E92 335 M  [0.00]
Theoretically it shouldn't. Its a drive like any other

Also, I have noticed with the latest maps on my Professional CCC system that inputting an address is rather slow.

Burn the DVD onto a CD (800MB CD) with overburn using Nero or ImgBurn should do the trick and speed up the navigation a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Snoopy Singh
Private
Rep

Thank you for your advise, will try it soon as

cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

For what it's worth...

When I updated my '07 with OEM '11 discs (U.S. uses two, one for east & one for west), I burned copies to keep the originals in reserve. Everything was fine for a couple of years until the Navi system began periodically shutting down with no map available. And when the disc was ejected, it was almost to hot to handle. Allowing it to cool and re-inserting it brought the system back, but only for about 5 minutes. Also, the audio would occasionally disappear, being replaced by loud static coming from the door speakers - even with the ignition shut off. After pricing a repair, I switched back to the original BMW disc and have had no problems ever since.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
For what it's worth...

When I updated my '07 with OEM '11 discs (U.S. uses two, one for east & one for west), I burned copies to keep the originals in reserve. Everything was fine for a couple of years until the Navi system began periodically shutting down with no map available. And when the disc was ejected, it was almost to hot to handle. Allowing it to cool and re-inserting it brought the system back, but only for about 5 minutes. Also, the audio would occasionally disappear, being replaced by loud static coming from the door speakers - even with the ignition shut off. After pricing a repair, I switched back to the original BMW disc and have had no problems ever since.

Tom
The main thing is to use a good high-quality media when making copies. Cheap media (even a lot of the brand names use very cheap media and dyes) will cause the DVD-ROM to work much harder and cause heat issues.

I originally used RiTek discs and had similar issues with the discs being very hot, etc.

I switched to using Verbatim AZO media (DVD-R) for all the copies I make and I've never had a problem since. It's some of the highest quality media you can buy (you have to make sure it's the AZO discs, Verbatim does have a cheaper line of media that's not AZO).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

I've also been using Verbatim AZO media for my nav discs, and no problems in the past 3-4 yrs. *fingers crossed*
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
The main thing is to use a good high-quality media when making copies. Cheap media (even a lot of the brand names use very cheap media and dyes) will cause the DVD-ROM to work much harder and cause heat issues.

I originally used RiTek discs and had similar issues with the discs being very hot, etc.

I switched to using Verbatim AZO media (DVD-R) for all the copies I make and I've never had a problem since. It's some of the highest quality media you can buy (you have to make sure it's the AZO discs, Verbatim does have a cheaper line of media that's not AZO).
Agreed, I forget if it's DVD-R or DVD+R that the car likes better. My HP branded disk would overheat all the time too and I used to get errors that the disc can't be read, I swapped it to a Verbatim and it works wonders, it's been through hotter temperatures and longer uses without problems, doesn't get as hot either. The HP would be too hot to touch sometimes.

The drive still makes a clicking sound although I think that just might because it's getting old.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 35i

All media is not created equal, all burners don't burn equal, software settings and burn speed makes a difference too.

A lot of research can go into this so I'll just sum up some info.

Better media, the right settings in ImgBurn or Nero Burning Rom, & burning at the slowest speed, will create a more readable disc.

Disc's are made by a small number of producers & re-branded to any number of companies. It's often hard to find the best Disc's, companies like Wal-mart, best buy, fry's, etc stock the cheap stuff & some brands make both good disc's and crap ones. Ordering online is a good choice if you're picky about your media & want to get the real deal.

Here's some top brands to try.

Mitsubishi Verbatim DL (not 'life' or 'value' series), JVC Taiyo Yuden, Sony (made in Taiwan/Daxon/Ritek rebranded only). You might have a hard time finding these in stores.
      12-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Snoopy Singh
Private
Rep

Thanks for your reply's guys. I only use Taiyo Yuden discs and always burn at low speeds 4x or lower using imgburn or nero. I'm just after replacing my dvd internal drive. Thing is, when the laser is reading the disc, you can clearly hear a difference between the copied Taiyo Yuden disc vs the original bmw disc. The copied disc sounds louder as if the drive is working harder to read it.
Appreciate 0