E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Winter Driving - To Cover the Grill or Not to Cover the Grill

01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
You are a very lucky guy with the nice weather.
Don't patronize him...keep up the bragging PR! A least WE got a white Christmas!! I'm not jealous!!!

...so when can we come visit?

Quote:
Thanks TDI, Love the time you have spent getting all this together.

You data at -5F is exactly the type of stuff I have been curious about. I should try and take some time and put together some logs for temperatures below this but lately we have been getting some pretty normal temps only down to -5F and the motivation level is low in winter.
Seriously. Thanks for the data, TDI!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Quote:
Mike, you would be surprised how many 2wd gas or diesel vehicles are where I live and we see -30 and it's nothing special. When it's -40 then we complain about it.
The mean temperature last month was -18 with lows down to -32.

The 335d does start easily without problems with overnight temps of -31 and this was sitting for 4 days. currently the only issue I plan on addressing is the battery blanket and maybe an oil pan heater.

The covers seems to be a non issue.
That it starts that well is very impressive. I grew on a ranch and wintered in those temps but I have since moved out west and become soft. We ran pan heaters on everything back in the day and blankets on the equipment that had to start each morning. Its seems to me that any kind of a heater would be a very good idea if you plan on keeping that car around for a while. Not much room in there for anything though. And the underbody shield doesn't exactly make room for a pan heater. Lower radiator hose in-line? Frost plug? Either of those would bring up engine and trans oil temp as well.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

yessir!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Cold Weather Starts

In my old '86 Jetta diesel I had a block heater that I used when it got real cold. And it worked great for its intended purpose. There was even a pre-drilled plug for that. Guess our D doesn't have such a feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
That it starts that well is very impressive. I grew on a ranch and wintered in those temps but I have since moved out west and become soft. We ran pan heaters on everything back in the day and blankets on the equipment that had to start each morning. Its seems to me that any kind of a heater would be a very good idea if you plan on keeping that car around for a while. Not much room in there for anything though. And the underbody shield doesn't exactly make room for a pan heater. Lower radiator hose in-line? Frost plug? Either of those would bring up engine and trans oil temp as well.

-Mike
I would love to move west and become soft. I have noticed very little room in the engine bay for stuff but I was crossing my fingers I could find a way to get some heat to the oil pan which is safe enough to not start a fire.
      01-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #28
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

So it has been a little on the colder side this winter getting down to -35C overnight and daytime highs of around -26C.

I have the top grill portion fully covered as best as I can. What I have been logging for highway/city driving is that even with the top grill covered, once below -27C, the coolant will not get to its normal setpoint temperature.

Still amazed how easy the car starts and warms up.
      02-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
So it has been a little on the colder side this winter getting down to -35C overnight and daytime highs of around -26C.

I have the top grill portion fully covered as best as I can. What I have been logging for highway/city driving is that even with the top grill covered, once below -27C, the coolant will not get to its normal setpoint temperature.

Still amazed how easy the car starts and warms up.
-10 F (-23 C) on the drive to work this am. With top/bottom covered it didn't get up to temp either. I'm glad it has the electric heater.

One interesting thing I've noted on multiple trips this winter is if the outside temp is below 7-8F, the EGR utilization goes to 0. Did this for 4 hours of driving on Christmas day (temps ranged from -4 to +2 F), even though the coolant was up to temp most of the time. Also, when in this mode the car reads a few psi of boost under light loads which is different than when warmer. Just found that interesting . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

TDI,

It could be that with cool enough intake temperatures under light to moderate loading, that NOx is very low so the EGR is not required.