E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help! Addicted to Detailing Products

10-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
yiyiyi204
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Help! Addicted to Detailing Products

Ever since I got my new E92, and reading this wash, wax and detailing forum, I've seriously become addicted to detailing and detailing products. I wake up and I look at new products, I read all the pages here and learning new information. I ask my friends if I could wash their cars for them. I think I am obsessed.

I am about to purchase a porter cable and I can't wait to use it. My biggest problem however, is that I am addicted to paste wax. The first expensive wax I bought even though it was the cheapest, was the Natty's Red and I loved it so much, from the way it looks to the smell. I sit there in front of my computer and look at the CG website waxes like 5050, Pete's 53 and the Dodo Juice waxes and I just drool. I want them all and I want to wax and i want to admire the wetness and gloss. Call me crazy but someone please help me and stop me from buying all these since I have just 1 car and I only need to wax like once and month and I'll never use all of these. I was never like this before until I got the E92, never took care of the old Toyota ever.

Someone please tell me they have gone through this same syndrome and eventually you get over it and just settle with like 1 or 2 cans of wax. Help! Is it really necessary to have all these waxes and do they really differ from each other that much?

Last edited by yiyiyi204; 10-19-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Try these steps:
  1. Stop reading this section of the forum completely for 1-2 months. Don't even click on it. This will most likely break the addiction.
  2. Do not buy any detailing products right now, unless it's a regular car cleaning product like car wax, microfiber towels, QD, tire shine, etc.
  3. Read the Forced Induction forum and learn about tunes, air intakes, intercoolers, etc. (Caution: that will get addicting too!)
  4. Read the Tracking forum and learn how to become a better driver by participating in autocross, driving schools, etc. (Caution: that will get addicting too!)
  5. Set a budget for car cleaning supplies.

Good luck. I'm speaking from experience
      10-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Most of us go through the same thing! Here's what I do to try keep my spending down. Ask for samples, people are always willing to trade. I trade products all the time after I use them and get bored with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

sample kit is your friend
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

6. Get a girlfriend
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
6. Get a girlfriend
sometimes that doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

check out my screen name... what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
choopy
Juicy Booty NomNoMnom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3 Vert/2005 M3 Competition

dude, theres no cure. I tried to not go on, but you have to peak on Detailedimage.com to see what the daily special is. Or detailersdomain to check out some new stuff that you just heard about and want more information on. its ridiculous, but i love it. It's this kind of addiction that's positive, and well may cost a little money, keeps us detailers motivated and focused. It's really a positive influence, overall, IMO.
      10-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

You'll soon grow out of that stage. You'll begin seeing too many similarities with products and eventually begin to pick out your favorites. Once you have your favorites, new stuff won't appeal as much anymore, unless its something totally break through, which you might be like me, and let all the "fish" take a bite first to see if its any good or if its just another "flavor of the month" type deals.

I stopped impulse buying (of detail products) two years ago and lets just say, I still have not finished up my stash. I've resorted to throwing away half my inventory, and simply refilling and buying what I have and am running low on.
sure Vintage is rad, but if they screw up the prep it won't matter if they coat it in pure white carnauba picked from trees that bloom every ten years during a full moon; it will still look like ass. ---PICUS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
You'll soon grow out of that stage. You'll begin seeing too many similarities with products and eventually begin to pick out your favorites. Once you have your favorites, new stuff won't appeal as much anymore, unless its something totally break through, which you might be like me, and let all the "fish" take a bite first to see if its any good or if its just another "flavor of the month" type deals.

I stopped impulse buying (of detail products) two years ago and lets just say, I still have not finished up my stash. I've resorted to throwing away half my inventory, and simply refilling and buying what I have and am running low on.
This is what I think separates the good detailers from the bad ones though. The good ones have opinions. The bad ones just go with what everyone else thinks is good.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

It helps when you do this for money, or for a living; you have to monitor spending and as joyride mentioned tend to find out what works, then use it. I have very little time to test new stuff, so I use what works for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Besides what has been said by the others which I agree with, as the only things I buy now are things I run out of, I'd recommend savin money you plan on spending on different waxes and invest it towards a flex rather than a pc. Polishing with that will give you much better results than any wax could do, and once you learn to polish the end result will be amazing before you even put an lsp on the car. The lsp is just icing on the cake.
      10-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
6. Get a girlfriend
If that doesn't work, go to a strip club, and feel really bad about spending way too much money.

Then go outside and have a bbq with some friends, maybe go to a concert, spend some time with your family.

After you've come back to reality... Buy one really nice paste wax and use it a bunch of times till you learn the best way to apply it. Then admire how awesome your car looks.

Also, buy all your microfiber towels and mits from Costco. Blow your mind how cheap the stuff really can be.

... then with all the money you saved, go back to the strip club and start over again.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
If that doesn't work, go to a strip club, and feel really bad about spending way too much money.
That always works, trading one addiction with more dangerous one
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

don't fight it channel it.. set a strict budget or you will spend 4-5k on products in 4 months like me!!

at least i am happy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i dont find myself spending much on products, but rather MF towels. nothing is more annoying to me than a MF towel that lints... i have yet to find the "perfect towel"...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #17
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i really like CG's waffle weave(light blue) or detailersdomain waffle weave for drying.. i am a huge fan of the fluffers from Cg and i just got some new green MF with red edges..not a fan of the combo but they feel sooo soft.. i thought i found the perfect towel with the red fluffers with white edges but my package of 6 all had issues with dye so CG sent me the green ones till they sort out what happened with the red ones.. too bad too b/c i Loved how the red ones looked and felt.. i thought i had the perfect towel.. then i washed them and the dye was nuts.. it stained my sink.. i got it all out but damn they must have forgotten a step when they made them.. i can't wait till they resolve the issue b/c honestly as much as i LOVE green i am not a fan of the christmas colors. dammit i hate winter. if not cg towels, detailersdomain regular ubar blue or red towels are great all purpose MF's.. they are EXCELLENT!! between them and CG i don't hunt anymore.. not really a fan of cobra MF as i felt they lint too much and don't absorb like CG and Detalersdomain's towels
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Channel that addiction. There must be some people/family at work/home who don't have the addiction yet. You can do their cars to see what you really like. It's all a part of becoming "normal"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
328i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
i dont find myself spending much on products, but rather MF towels. nothing is more annoying to me than a MF towel that lints... i have yet to find the "perfect towel"...
Have you tried MF towels from Detailed Image? I don't experience any linting with mine.
      10-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Have you tried MF towels from Detailed Image? I don't experience any linting with mine.
yes, i had purchased some of the Rethickulous towels to try them out. those still are my favorite towels. then i ordered 5 more and they all linted like crazy... DI told me it was a bad batch and they discontinued the towel thereafter. i do like their blue towels (i have 3). only thing about those is where the microfiber edging meets, there is a peice that sticks out, which leaves micro marring on my Jet Black paint...a few towels i have from the UK are becoming my go-to towels... they just seem more high-quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:21 AM   #21
328i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
yes, i had purchased some of the Rethickulous towels to try them out. those still are my favorite towels. then i ordered 5 more and they all linted like crazy... DI told me it was a bad batch and they discontinued the towel thereafter. i do like their blue towels (i have 3). only thing about those is where the microfiber edging meets, there is a peice that sticks out, which leaves micro marring on my Jet Black paint...a few towels i have from the UK are becoming my go-to towels... they just seem more high-quality.
Anything leaves micromarring on our jet black paint. I must have gotten a good batch of the rethickulous towels, but I find that I only use them for cleaning instrument clusters and on our LCD tv in the house, I don't see any benefit to using them on the paint versus the other towels. I have about 20 of the blue towels and I love them, but I know what you're talking about with the edging in some corners. My favorite is actually their old gray towel, it has a side that's like the blue and a plusher side as well. The corners are rounded with no sharp edges so it doesn't mar.
      10-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #22
SDYANKEE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335

The addiction doesn't end, good luck trying. I've basically been buying up so much CG stuff that I've been selling off excess to the detail shops around San Diego, haha (I'm serious). If you guys need anything from CG, talk to me and I can get it for you at a lower price than anyone (except the OP, he doesn't need to feed his addiction anymore).

Honestly, though, you'll have to just try everything, and see which you like the best. It's not worth it to take someone else's word on anything, plus its infinitely more fun to try everything (almost infinitely more $$$ too).