E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Lets go ravens, lets go redskins!

01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
What I don't get is this: how the f does a team that has a ton of players with million dollar contracts be such a sorry as team!?

It's not like Superbowl is played every year...oh wait it is! And you haven't been to the playoffs for years!? Why can't they just fire Shanahan or whatever his name is bc whatever his motivation speech is he is giving them players, ain't working.

I think of this the same way I think of US men's soccer, they go to a world cup and advance to a stage which they've never been to before, they get people excited about it then they lose!
Honestly, stick to soccer. I find it funny that you call the Skins a "sorry a$$ team." They made the playoffs (only 12 out of 32 teams make it every year). They surpassed all expectations this season with a rookie QB, rookie RB, and arguably one of the worse defenses in the league. The future is bright for this team.

Your logic stating that a team should win a superbowl because players have million dollar contracts is invalid. Only ONE team can win the Superbowl each year. EVERY team in the NFL has a few players on their roster with multi-million dollar contracts.

Fire Shanahan? lol. He was hired to REBUILD the franchise. So far he is doing a good job at that. you don't magically win a championship after having a 5-11 record last year. The Skins weren't supposed to do better than an 8-8 record. The fact that they did better than 8-8 and made the playoffs does not result in a disappointing season. And please, don't think about American Football like Soccer. They are not the same, thanks. And FYI, Morris is a Runningback, not a reciever.

Last edited by Laid Black 335i; 01-08-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Finally someone that talks sense here. Shanahan is an awful decision maker. Are you going to risk completely messing up a kid's knee because the kid wants to stay in and keep playing?
Right after RG3 fell and hurt his knee he made another run play where he ran to the side line and was limping! isn't that enough to pull the trigger and make the decision?
Not that I drink the Shanahan kool-aid, but no coach is going to pull his star player in that scenario. If that's the case, you can eliminate more than half of sports history of players playing hurt. Last year when Jay Cutler had a similar injury, he took himself out of the game, as was CRUCIFIED by everyone (and he will never live it down, especially among teammates/players).

Professional sports is totally different than what rational thinking says should be the right thing to do. Players coming back from torn ACLs is normal news nowadays (Adrian Peterson is a prime example) and there are very few career-ending injuries (in the mind of athletes/coaches/GMs). It's only normal, rational people like us mere mortals who know how the world of sports should work if we were made King for the Day

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Not that I drink the Shanahan kool-aid, but no coach is going to pull his star player in that scenario. If that's the case, you can eliminate more than half of sports history of players playing hurt. Last year when Jay Cutler had a similar injury, he took himself out of the game, as was CRUCIFIED by everyone (and he will never live it down, especially among teammates/players).

Professional sports is totally different than what rational thinking says should be the right thing to do. Players coming back from torn ACLs is normal news nowadays (Adrian Peterson is a prime example) and there are very few career-ending injuries (in the mind of athletes/coaches/GMs). It's only normal, rational people like us mere mortals who know how the world of sports should work if we were made King for the Day
I disagree that NO coach is going to pull his player in that situation. Shanahan made the call to play an injured RG3 rather than put a healthy Cousins in. I do agree that most coaches would probably have let him go back into the game, but after 1 or 2 series of ineffective drives, it's time to take a step back, get him out to preserve the future, and get Cousins in. It's not like Cousins is some scrub - the kid led the Skins to victory on more than one occasion this season. There was still the opportunity to win with him in.

You can't even use Adrian Peterson as an example, because he's a robot. ACL injuries are serious and this would be RG3's second ACL injury. Would you rather have a star player who can barely run and complete passes, or a healthy backup who has some game as well?
      01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
I disagree that NO coach is going to pull his player in that situation. Shanahan made the call to play an injured RG3 rather than put a healthy Cousins in. I do agree that most coaches would probably have let him go back into the game, but after 1 or 2 series of ineffective drives, it's time to take a step back, get him out to preserve the future, and get Cousins in. It's not like Cousins is some scrub - the kid led the Skins to victory on more than one occasion this season. There was still the opportunity to win with him in.

Everyone in that stadium except Shanahan could see Griffin was done in the 3rd quarter. I would've switched to Cousins after halftime, but Griffin was barely able to run to the sidelines in the 3rd. They were still up 14-13 by then and Cousins could've milked the clock. He won 2 games for them this season.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Shanahan is a complete liar. He's been lying to the press for 3 seasons now, why would this be any different. He probably did it while coaching the Broncos....he can't help it....

And just to be clear, I am not a Skins hater or die-hard Skins fan....I root for them (when they're not playing my team) because I live in the area and love football.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can't even use Adrian Peterson as an example, because he's a robot. ACL injuries are serious and this would be RG3's second ACL injury. Would you rather have a star player who can barely run and complete passes, or a healthy backup who has some game as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post

Everyone in that stadium except Shanahan could see Griffin was done in the 3rd quarter. I would've switched to Cousins after halftime, but Griffin was barely able to run to the sidelines in the 3rd. They were still up 14-13 by then and Cousins could've milked the clock. He won 2 games for them this season.
We can agree to disagree, this is probably the most active thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum for a few years now

I spend all day listening to sports talk everyday and it's pretty clear that all former athletes and coaches support Shanahan and the media wanted Cousins in the game. Definitely no coincidence there.

While I like Cousins and think he's fairly capable, he took 0 reps to prepare against the best defense in the NFC and has little mobility. I doubt he would have played well and probably would have thrown a few picks like he did against Atlanta b/c the Skins receivers could NOT get open against the Seattle corners. Their secondary shut down the Skins offense b/c once they knew in the 2Q that RG3 couldn't run, they could dedicate their SS to the run or blitz.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, this is probably the most active thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum for a few years now

I spend all day listening to sports talk everyday and it's pretty clear that all former athletes and coaches support Shanahan and the media wanted Cousins in the game. Definitely no coincidence there.

While I like Cousins and think he's fairly capable, he took 0 reps to prepare against the best defense in the NFC and has little mobility. I doubt he would have played well and probably would have thrown a few picks like he did against Atlanta b/c the Skins receivers could NOT get open against the Seattle corners. Their secondary shut down the Skins offense b/c once they knew in the 2Q that RG3 couldn't run, they could dedicate their SS to the run or blitz.
Good points Paul - I will agree that the skins offense is predicated on the read option run, which wouldn't be there with Cousins anyway since his playbook is tailored for the pocket pass. Seattle secondary is scary good. Hope RG3 comes back ready to go next season though.
      01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Good points Paul - I will agree that the skins offense is predicated on the read option run, which wouldn't be there with Cousins anyway since his playbook is tailored for the pocket pass. Seattle secondary is scary good. Hope RG3 comes back ready to go next season though.
Good luck with that with that torn LCL.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #31
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good luck with that with that torn LCL.
Same ACL he tore as a sophmore at Baylor. Not good. The ACL is typically replaced with a section of patella tendon (of his), but now that new ACL (patella tendon) is torn AGAIN, he might have to go the cadaver route for either a new ACL or patella tendon which isn't going to help rehab recovery.

from ESPN
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.

uh oh....that's PT on BOTH knees, not good. The patella harvest is far more painful (post op) than the install of the newly made ACL. Ive had it done....it sucks.

Last edited by bigdaddycane; 01-09-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah, if I were the Skins, I wouldn't be rushing Griff back this time. Let him heal 100%. Roll with Cousins and Grossman next year while trying to get more pieces to the puzzle in place for 2014-and Griffin's return. Sure everyone wants to point to AP, but 1) that wasn't the same injury, and 2) that was an exceptionally quick recovery even for *just* an ACL.
      01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

8 months is plenty of time with todays technolog.... when you have the money to pay for it. Ive seen this on motocross rides. Seems like they are always back to riding much sooned than other athletes/people due to the fact that they spend hundreds of thousands on special procedeures.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzibit a View Post
8 months is plenty of time with todays technolog.... when you have the money to pay for it. Ive seen this on motocross rides. Seems like they are always back to riding much sooned than other athletes/people due to the fact that they spend hundreds of thousands on special procedeures.
repeat ACL on the SAME knee?

yes, technology and rehab has gotten better, but sometimes these athletes come back too fast and are never the same. See Greg Llyod (Amazing Steeler LB from the 90's)

I hope he can get back, but they should really let him heal and get 100% before bringing him back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
sashmanparker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335, 97 m3, 92 patrol

Which nickname do you guys like better, RG3rd knee or RGneednewknee???
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
... this is probably the most active thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum for a few years now ...
Yeah, not exactly what I had in mind when I started it, but its good to see a live thread for sure. We can thank Brazilian for lighting the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
I hope he can get back, but they should really let him heal and get 100% before bringing him back.
I think we can all agree to that.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Willis Maghee had a similar, albeit worse injury and sat out a complete season. He's was playing at a pretty good level in the NFL this season before another injury took him down.

To say RG3 should do the same seems drastic, but not completely out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #38
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

His injury is said to have a 6-8 month recovery time. If all goes well, he will be ready for next season. Also, with Fred Davis, Adam Carriker, and Orakpo back in the lineup, with Snyder's deep pockets for free agency, the future is bright!

HTTR!
      01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Yeah, not exactly what I had in mind when I started it, but its good to see a live thread for sure. We can thank Brazilian for lighting the fire

That's right! Light the fire up these mofo's asses! LOL
People are just so damn quiet in this forum when it they are clearly passionate about the said topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's right! Light the fire up these mofo's asses! LOL
People are just so damn quiet in this forum when it they are clearly passionate about the said topic.
we can always start bashing the cowgirls!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashmanparker
Which nickname do you guys like better, RG3rd knee or RGneednewknee???
I'd have to go with the first one. The second is way too long.
      01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Quote:
... this is probably the most active thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum for a few years now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
Can't wait for spring time and car meets to start back up! Only about ten weeks to go or so...
      01-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #43
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I thought that this article from the Post may was rather pertinent to the thread.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #44
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
THREAD REVIVAL! Do the Ravens have it in them to seal the victory? What's your call on the game?

Appreciate 0