E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hollograms and Hollograms.. Help!

05-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6 M

Hollograms and Hollograms.. Help!

I had my car get serviced for a machine glaze and wax because of a lot of water spots it had. I also wanted a little more shine. After around a week and a half I started noticing that there has been a lot of hollograms from the machine where it rotated on, which is basically all of the car.The wax covered it for a few days maybe a week or two, but now when the car is in the sun, my car looks awful it's really deppressing. It's a black car. What should I do to take the holograms out?? Any of the polish guru's that cou;d help me?

Please let me know the steps to take to make my car back to normal!! Please, and if so the list of products I need to buy!!

Where can I buy a kit which would include everything for a full polish, for every kind of scratches, swirls, holograms, contamination, to revive the paint everything. I just want to buy a kit that would include everything, so I don't have to buy anything else. Also another kit, which would include the machine and all the pads for all the applications?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by CrimsonIvy35i; 05-19-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Cosmin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: german v6

depends how bad it is , meguiar`s 205 and a polish pad on pc shouold help min or even remove it. like i said depends what they use , how deep the swirl they put in, if are from wool that 205 and polish pad will not remove the defects.
you need a PC , g110 , DA, anything similar.
or just find a good detailer in your area and see his opinion after seeing the car.
Cosmin
      05-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
depends how bad it is , meguiar`s 205 and a polish pad on pc shouold help min or even remove it. like i said depends what they use , how deep the swirl they put in, if are from wool that 205 and polish pad will not remove the defects.
you need a PC , g110 , DA, anything similar.
or just find a good detailer in your area and see his opinion after seeing the car.
Cosmin
They used a sonax black bottle, that had a german name. They said it was glaze. I think they used a pas that had a lot of knot hairs, felt like wool but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Guys I really need your help. Any kind of input or advice given is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Sounds like you took it to someone who had no clue what they were doing...glaze with a wool pad???? That explains the holograms.

It sounds like what you wanted was a polish aka paint correction. I would recommend taking it to a real detailer. You can start off by asking around here or in the North Eastern forums. Or try Google to find recommended detailers in your area.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
Sounds like you took it to someone who had no clue what they were doing...glaze with a wool pad???? That explains the holograms.

It sounds like what you wanted was a polish aka paint correction. I would recommend taking it to a real detailer. You can start off by asking around here or in the North Eastern forums. Or try Google to find recommended detailers in your area.
Yes, but this car is my e90 335i, which is in another country. Its black sapphire. Any help or advice, wether how to address this, or how to start detailing my car. What do I need to use. What are the detailing steps. I know that first I need to clay the car and that's it. What are the next steps.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post

+1 to everything above.

Please, if you're taking it to a pro, do yourself a favor and take it to Unique Car Care in Wakefield. I can give you Rick and Ryan's contact information. They're absolutely top notch, and you most certainly won't be disappointed.

You need a buffer, either a PCXP or a Flex. Hologram and buffer trail removal by hand really isn't worth it, and the machine will give you consistent results on all panels. Start by washing the car with a higher concentration of shampoo to remove any remaining glaze and/or wax on the paint. The surface needs to be as close to pristine as possible - I like CG Wash & Gloss for this step. Then you'll need to clay to remove embedded contaminants.

For polish, you'll probably want something like Menzerna SIP with an orange pad. You might be able to get away with something lighter like PO203S, but for BSM you will probably need the SIP. Follow that up with some PO106FA on a white pad and you should be good. The 5.5" pads are a good choice for the PCXP, don't forget a backing plate too.

Try some Blackfire Wet Diamond for a sealant after the polish for excellent protection and a very nice shine.

DI also has several packages/combo deals to make product selection less tedious, so check those out too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo

Last edited by jopa489; 05-19-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
+1 to everything above.

Please, if you're taking it to a pro, do yourself a favor and take it to Unique Car Care in Wakefield. I can give you Rick and Ryan's contact information. They're absolutely top notch, and you most certainly won't be disappointed.

You need a buffer, either a PCXP or a Flex. Hologram and buffer trail removal by hand really isn't worth it, and the machine will give you consistent results on all panels. Start by washing the car with a higher concentration of shampoo to remove any remaining glaze and/or wax on the paint. The surface needs to be as close to pristine as possible - I like CG Wash & Gloss for this step. Then you'll need to clay to remove embedded contaminants.

For polish, you'll probably want something like Menzerna SIP with an orange pad. You might be able to get away with something lighter like PO203S, but for BSM you will probably need the SIP. Follow that up with some PO106FA on a white pad and you should be good. The 5.5" pads are a good choice for the PCXP, don't forget a backing plate too.

Try some Blackfire Wet Diamond for a sealant after the polish for excellent protection and a very nice shine.

DI also has several packages/combo deals to make product selection less tedious, so check those out too.
Thanks for your info. i will take high note on this post! I found this kit: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...-Package-P158/
but it doesnt include any polishes or waxes or anything! Where can I find a kit where I can get all the required products for a full detailing process?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Just add a bottle of Menzerna SIP, Menzerna 106FF and BlackFire Wet Diamond to that kit and you have everything you need.
      05-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Yep, that'll do it. You can add a wax if you want, but BWD leaves such a nice finish behind that you really don't need to top it with anything else.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
On the imperfection gauge, holograms are super fine organized swirls vs. deeper scratches or swirls. You might want to try the least aggressive method and that might be 106FF and a white or even black pad to refine down just below the hologram level. Holograms IME are not deep and the fine cut of 106ff and light cut or no cut pad just might remove them and restore some brilliance and shine at the same time.

If that doesn't meet your standard of improvement you can always move up to SIP and a white pad and hit em again. If still not what you're hoping for go to SIP + orange. The trick here is to step up to what's necessary but not more. If you've found you need SIP and orange you might want to consider finishing with 106ff and black to refine the look.

Good luck and enjoy doing it yourself!
      05-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I think you should try the polish with the least amount of abrasiveness which can get you rid of the hollograms. I would first try Zaino All-In-One applied with a Porter Cable 7424XP dual-action polisher and a Lake Country green pad. If this doesn't work, another option is Zaino Z-PC (followed by AIO).

If this doesn't work a good polish with excellent finish is Menzerna PO203S. It is a very well-regarded one-step polish.

A kit for everything would include:

- Porter Cable 7424XP polisher.
- Lake Country pads: 1xOrange, 2xGreen, 2xWhite, 1-2xBlack
- Clay Bar (I use Clay Magic)
- Zaino Z-PC (polish for swirl marks, light scratches, etc.)
- Menzerna PO203S (one-step polish more abrasive than the Z-PC for more serious problems)
- Zaino Z-AIO (excellent paint cleaner/finisher with just a tiny bit of abbrasiveness)
- Zaino Z2-Pro + Zaino ZFX (sealant)
- Zaino Z6 (Quick Detailer, 2 bottles, it's so good you will be using it all the time)
- Zaino Z8 (optional, better than z6 but alot more expensive).
- OEM BMW Touch-up paint for your paint code
- Quixx for removing more serious scratches. Includes some useful extremely fine sandpaper.
- Zaino Z7 shampoo for washing the car
- Optimum No Rinse - for washing the car without a pressure washer and without the need to rinse it.
- A citrus degreaser for the wheels and the lower body panels (spray on before washing the car).
- A wheel cleaner
- A rubber gloss enhancer (I use Zaino Z16 but it's not very good)
- Pads, applicators, microfibre towels...

I think you can find these at www.autogeek.net or a similar detailing online store.

PS: I'm not an expert.

Last edited by cstavaru; 05-20-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

OR, you could just get something like Zaino Z-5 and cover it back up again
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
OR, you could just get something like Zaino Z-5 and cover it back up again
Hahaha NO WAY. I know they're there, and it's killing me..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I think you should try the polish with the least amount of abrasiveness which can get you rid of the hollograms. I would first try Zaino All-In-One applied with a Porter Cable 7424XP dual-action polisher and a Lake Country green pad. If this doesn't work, another option is Zaino Z-PC (followed by AIO).

If this doesn't work a good polish with excellent finish is Menzerna PO203S. It is a very well-regarded one-step polish.

A kit for everything would include:

- Porter Cable 7424XP polisher.
- Lake Country pads: 1xOrange, 2xGreen, 2xWhite, 1-2xBlack
- Clay Bar (I use Clay Magic)
- Zaino Z-PC (polish for swirl marks, light scratches, etc.)
- Menzerna PO203S (one-step polish more abrasive than the Z-PC for more serious problems)
- Zaino Z-AIO (excellent paint cleaner/finisher with just a tiny bit of abbrasiveness)
- Zaino Z2-Pro + Zaino ZFX (sealant)
- Zaino Z6 (Quick Detailer, 2 bottles, it's so good you will be using it all the time)
- Zaino Z8 (optional, better than z6 but alot more expensive).
- OEM BMW Touch-up paint for your paint code
- Quixx for removing more serious scratches. Includes some useful extremely fine sandpaper.
- Zaino Z7 shampoo for washing the car
- Optimum No Rinse - for washing the car without a pressure washer and without the need to rinse it.
- A citrus degreaser for the wheels and the lower body panels (spray on before washing the car).
- A wheel cleaner
- A rubber gloss enhancer (I use Zaino Z16 but it's not very good)
- Pads, applicators, microfibre towels...

I think you can find these at www.autogeek.net or a similar detailing online store.

PS: I'm not an expert.
Thanks so much for your advice. I will take high note on buying this. I'm already buying the kit I need for the orbitary buffer. I'm getting the flex buffer with all the pads. Next is the polishes I need, and this is a good list! Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5 View Post
On the imperfection gauge, holograms are super fine organized swirls vs. deeper scratches or swirls. You might want to try the least aggressive method and that might be 106FF and a white or even black pad to refine down just below the hologram level. Holograms IME are not deep and the fine cut of 106ff and light cut or no cut pad just might remove them and restore some brilliance and shine at the same time.

If that doesn't meet your standard of improvement you can always move up to SIP and a white pad and hit em again. If still not what you're hoping for go to SIP + orange. The trick here is to step up to what's necessary but not more. If you've found you need SIP and orange you might want to consider finishing with 106ff and black to refine the look.

Good luck and enjoy doing it yourself!
Thanks for letting me know this, now I know that they're not that bad!
Appreciate 0