E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Automatic Climate Programs

07-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Automatic Climate Programs

Anybody any idea how to adjust the volume of air flow between body and feet on a 59 reg 320D?
The overall volume (low - med - high) is adjusted by continuously pressing the 'Auto' button on the dashboard.
On the photo download you will note the horizontal bars representing presumably volume of air flow. I would like this, say, to be reversed.
On my previous 55 reg 320i this could be done using the idrive. My current handbook makes no mention and I can't find a way using the idrive.
I would like some variation between feet and body as I go jogging and it would be nice to have a good air flow on my trainers, as they do get quite hot in this weather!
Perhaps I am just a bit thick and there's an easy way, but I just can't see it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Try the buttons to the left of the max dial
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
Try the buttons to the left of the max dial
Thanks doc_ab. The manual buttons are OK for short term use, but auto temp control appears lost. The auto independent control of air flow via the idrive is a feature which LCI models seems to have lost, like the drinks chiller in the arm rest, which I do miss in this weather.
But having said all this, its chicken feed really, it's a great motor to drive. I take real pleasure in driving it every day Any length of journey is no problem!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

This feature appears to have disappeared from 2010 MY cars, my dec 09 330d doesn't have it whereas my previous (written off) sept 08 LCI had this very useful feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

My 06 330i had climate and you couldn't 'adjust' the auto airflow.

TBH I've not seen a car that you can.

The point is if it's in 'auto' mode then the car decides what's best in the conditions, not you.

In sunshine for example it blows more cold air up the screen, for fast cooling it blows more air out of the dash middle vents.

In winter for heating it blows more warm air on your feet which then rises to warm the cabin etc.

If you 'mess' with this how can the car be in 'auto' mode?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
TBH I've not seen a car that you can.
On my 06MY 535d you can adjust the volume of airflow in the auto program between min, med and max. It still controls the volume, distribution and temperature of the airflow but is biased by this setting. There is another control for the hot/cold mix from the centre vents, but it's only the equivalent of the old manual thumb wheel (and would have been much better left as a manual thumb wheel). It works well as I can keep my cabin temperature low without being blasted with air.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesr3 View Post
It works well as I can keep my cabin temperature low without being blasted with air.
Just point the vents away from your body?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesr3 View Post
On my 06MY 535d you can adjust the volume of airflow in the auto program between min, med and max. It still controls the volume, distribution and temperature of the airflow but is biased by this setting. There is another control for the hot/cold mix from the centre vents, but it's only the equivalent of the old manual thumb wheel (and would have been much better left as a manual thumb wheel). It works well as I can keep my cabin temperature low without being blasted with air.
Correct, as the OP said you can adjust the overall airflow preference, low- med, high, but not the auto-distribution of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Penyfan, I can fully relate to you on this one.
I normally set my car at 22 both sides and Auto and then vary the centre dial to warmer or cooler depending on the day, however I noticed that after being in the car for a long period of time on a warm day It starts to get uncomfortabe and I've noticed that when I take my trainers off they're hot...so I investigated a bit more... I've found that when set to Auto for a long period of time the footwell vents supply ambient/luke warm air to your feet as part of the Auto mode, on very hot days they dont. So, for most of the time in warm weather during the day its fine, but in the evenings when its around 18 degrees the climate control is just ticking over supplying cool air to your face and warm air to your feet, which after a while will make you feel warm. I dont think its a fault I just think its how the system works and the human body is designed for warm feet, cool head. Anyways to cut a long story short you can stop the airflow to your feet by pressing the face directional air flow ( middle button LHS)...or you can adjust the ammount of air coming to your head, body and feet in the idrive climate programme...the moment you do this you cancel the Auto programme...but at least you wont have smelly feet!
      07-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
Penyfan, I can fully relate to you on this one.
I normally set my car at 22 both sides and Auto and then vary the centre dial to warmer or cooler depending on the day,
I think you are confused to how the system works.

Firstly 22 is pretty hot IMO. I would use this in the depths of winter, but 19 or 20 at most in summer.

Secondly the little warm/cold dial under the centre vent only adds warm or cool air to those 2 centre vents - nothing else, no other effect.

So with 'auto' on at 22 (warm) and the centre vent on cold the car is trying to compensate for the cooling effect of the cold air you are blowing in from the centre vent by blowing warmer air out of the other vents.

Just turn the temp down to 20 and set your centre vent dial to the middle and see what happens then.

BTW The air round you feet is often a little bit warmer than the dash vents because as humans we like cooler heads / bodies and slightly warmer feet.
Appreciate 0