E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Whats the normal water/coolant temp for the N54?

12-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
samsamwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Whats the normal water/coolant temp for the N54?

this is more for guys with aftermarket gauges or other mods and actually monitor their water temps
mine seems to be 190-220F according to the JB4
and also at what temp or conditions does the fan turn on?

I had my water pump go out, only after that have i been watching my water temp
before I actually got a new pump, my water temps were between 180 and 200F, one time it did blow and i got the yellow and red then red warnings and a little boil over from the reservoir the temp for sure was above 212 and going up but i stopped engine almost immediately, it seemed the fan was running the whole time and my boost was limited

after i got a new water pump and thermostat, the fan never seems to come on and no boost reduction, but my water temps are now between 190 and 220F!! not sure what coolant/water mix boils at but i know water is 212F
I now have not only no fan noise or vibrations but no temp warnings and no boil overs so i am sure things are fine now
but is my JB4 water temp accuracy now bad or is this normal?

Last edited by samsamwu; 12-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0