E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Matte Grill Quality?

09-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
BMWDriver2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Matte Grill Quality?

I wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems with their matte grills during installation. I just purchased a set of the matte grills for my 2007 E90 from JLevi SW and the grills themselves installed fine, but the hood pieces I had a little more trouble with. 3 of the 6 female ends just began to spin with the screw while I tried to tighten them down. I couldn't get them to tighten at all, I called support at JLevi and the guy told me to use some heavy glue or epoxy to keep the female end from spinning, but that did not work at all. If I left it as loose as it was it would have looked terrible. I contacted Nick at JLevi, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Hi Michael,

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, I am out of town until Tuesday but just sent you an email. You have to be careful with the E90 pre-LCI mustache as those bolts can be overtorqued pretty easily which splits the screw holder from the plastic piece. Not a bit deal, we can swap it out for you and I will have Ali work on an exchange.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Psychorugby
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue/Saddle X5

I had this happen to the very last bolt I installed on mine. Fortunatley, I got it tight enough to work before the female end stripped out. It is not quite as tight as I would want, but it will work. I thought I had broken it at first.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
BMWDriver2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the quick reply Nick. The thing is, I didn't even get a chance to tighten the bolts down, they were half way on and then 2 of the 3 female ends broke loose and spun with the screw. Only the center screw was able to tighten until in broke loose. It only happened on the passenger side hood piece though. I can send the piece back to you, but it's partially cracked because I had to break some of it to get it off to put the OEM grill back on.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Michael,

It's not a problem, Ali will be in contact with you to setup an RMA exchange.
Appreciate 0