E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best waxes for Alpine White?

05-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
BMW1986
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 ZCP JB/PS & BLK

Best waxes for Alpine White?

I would like to know what are the best waxes for Alpine White. I know there are plenty of different waxes for black/darker cars, but I would like some opinions for White!

Thank you!!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
autoaesthetica
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A tin can on boost

Its worth noting, that you aren't familar with paint prep making the difference this is a prime example of a color where it counts(though it definitely counts on dark colors ).

Lighter colors are notorious for lacking depth, so typically as a detailer I try to focus on proper prep to really refine the surface so it is clear, crisp, sharp and glassy. Other than that sealants tend to be a little bit more appropriate in many eyes for lighter colors just because they have a sharper, tighter look to them whereas carnaubas' nuance tend to be deeper.

I think in your case, depending on your paint prep, something like Meguiars #21, removed with something like Optimum Spray Wax would give a fantastic result that importantly will last and that you can readily boost. M21 is a long forgotten product in the sea of new sealants(that some surprisingly won't last among some other veteran items).

Another option is Collinite 845 which is a synthetic blend. Eitherway I would focus on paint prep, and really try to lay down something more durable. Hopefully that helps as a starting off point - definitely look into durable sealant protection.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
dziqsek
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 320d

Or cheap and fast - Turtle Wax ICE...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

^^ the polar opposite to a properly prepared surface and a quality LSP

autoaesthetica - good advise (OP well worth acting upon to get the results you want
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
07_335i_AW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

From what I have seen there is not very much difference with the choice of wax. I did a full wash, clay, polish, glaze and wax with Autoglym (polish and wax) then Meguiars (Deep crystal polish and yellow wax) and they both looked great. The biggest difference I have noticed was when I tried the FK 452 (Finish Kare 452) quick detailer. That has added some nice gloss to the surface and also made it super slick.

I will be experimenting with sealants next go around but for right now the FK 452 is keeping me happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I have a similar question.
I plan on putting a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger on my space gray E92.

I should note the car has clearbra on the front end and fenders.

the car was delivered in august and lives in my garage, I see no major issues with the finish that need correcting.

i was planning on washing, then just applying the Blackfire Wet Diamond. Is there a step i should do before applying the blackfire? considering i have no current finish issues and the clearbra.
      05-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1986 View Post
I would like to know what are the best waxes for Alpine White. I know there are plenty of different waxes for black/darker cars, but I would like some opinions for White!

Thank you!!

As others stated doing the proper prep work (i.e. clay and polish if needed) is critical to the shine. Polishing really makes the paint "pop" and the sealant or wax will only enhance the way the paint already looks. Assuming you have done the necessary prep work here are my favorite waxes for white:

Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax - It was specifically designed for lighter colors, it looks amazing and provides a deep gloss, even on white paint. Dodo Juice waxes tend to offer some of the strongest protection as well.

Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax - Looks awesome on all colors including lighter colors

Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax - Great value on a high quality wax

Let me know if you have any questions about some of the prep work, waxes, etc.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
I have a similar question.
I plan on putting a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger on my space gray E92.

I should note the car has clearbra on the front end and fenders.

the car was delivered in august and lives in my garage, I see no major issues with the finish that need correcting.

i was planning on washing, then just applying the Blackfire Wet Diamond. Is there a step i should do before applying the blackfire? considering i have no current finish issues and the clearbra.
Even on many new vehicles a clay bar and polish can be warranted, but it really comes down to your preference and goals. The Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Swirl Finder Spotlight is a great tool to use to see how many swirls and surface imperfections are really in the paint. Without the proper lighting it's really hard to tell. If you wipe down the surface with a little bit of rubbing alcohol you can also remove the sealant or wax for even greater clarity.

If you want to deep clean the paint and remove stubborn build ups a traditional wash will miss check out the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. After that a gentle polish would be great to help remove light imperfections and really shine the paint. SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner is a great choice for this step as it deep cleans the paint and maximizes the shine before sealing with the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. Again the clay and polish are not a must on brand new cars but it generally can help out quite a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
thanks again Greg!
      05-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Zaino leaves a nice "mirror" look in AW. I really like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
turtle wax
      05-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Today i used the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger on my space gray E92.
I hand applied it, and i have to say going into it i was freaking out about putting swirl marks on my paint because it currently has none.

I applied it with the yellow 4.5" foam pads i got at Detail Image, trying to not use any downward pressure, just gliding it along.. about a nickle size at a time. It hazes over and I buffed it gently with a good quality Microfiber.

The results are outstanding. I was shocked how 'slick' the finish now feels. Same for going over the clearbra on my entire front end.

the finish looks deep and full, highly reflective and 'bright'. its so slick i feel like its gonna make my 328 faster

I have a ton of florescent lights in my garage and i could not find any swirlies, whew...

thumbs up for blackfire. the car shampoo seemed to work really well too.
      05-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Richaaard
Rep
Drives: E90

I like the durability of Meguiars Tech wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Zaino leaves a nice "mirror" look in AW. I really like it.
I just Zaino'd my AW car this weekend and it looks FANTASTIC! The Zaino might have been overkill with AW, looks best on black cars, but this is the best detail I have ever done. Clay'd, Menzerna IP, Zaino ZPC, Z2 x3 times and Z8. The paint has a showroom finish.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
ericlol
BMW Amature
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richaaard View Post
I like the durability of Meguiars Tech wax.
Liquid version? or solid version...?

I have an AW e90 as well, I am a beginner in detailing, still trying to decide between the 3 meguiar wax:

1. Tech Wax Liquid
2. Ultimate Liquid Wax
3. Ultimate Quick Wax (Spray)

any inputs will be appreciated. =)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
Cuffss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335xi 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlol View Post
Liquid version? or solid version...?

I have an AW e90 as well, I am a beginner in detailing, still trying to decide between the 3 meguiar wax:

1. Tech Wax Liquid
2. Ultimate Liquid Wax
3. Ultimate Quick Wax (Spray)

any inputs will be appreciated. =)

none of those are actually waxes, they are synthetic polymers that are close to if not paint sealants. Although putting a few coats of tech or ultimate before a good wax certainly help to make the paint really pop.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

I used Collinite 845 on my AW 328 and it always looked absolutely outstanding and was very durable as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
ericlol
BMW Amature
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffss View Post
none of those are actually waxes, they are synthetic polymers that are close to if not paint sealants. Although putting a few coats of tech or ultimate before a good wax certainly help to make the paint really pop.
thx again for your input

so what should i start off with detailing? polymer? or real wax?

I just had my car for 1 month, what should I do first? paint prep? clay?

my car is alpine white as well..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
Cuffss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm not a professional detailer so i cant say exactly what you need to do.

but when got my hands on my car i gave it a good thorough wash with some dish washing detergent, clayed it, put 2 coats of meguires ultimate wax and then finished it off with 2 coats of Dodo Supernatural wax. After every wash i throw on some of that meguires ultimate quick wax stuff. The sealants really do last quite a while 4-6 months but you would want to reapply some good wax every month and a half or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffss View Post
I'm not a professional detailer so i cant say exactly what you need to do.

but when got my hands on my car i gave it a good thorough wash with some dish washing detergent, clayed it, put 2 coats of meguires ultimate wax and then finished it off with 2 coats of Dodo Supernatural wax. After every wash i throw on some of that meguires ultimate quick wax stuff. The sealants really do last quite a while 4-6 months but you would want to reapply some good wax every month and a half or so.
Someone told me that dish washing detergent harms the paint. Not sure if there is any truth to that but I went with it.
      05-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Cuffss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a08335k View Post
Someone told me that dish washing detergent harms the paint. Not sure if there is any truth to that but I went with it.
A friend suggested i use some Dawn before i started the sealing/waxing process so thats what i've been doing. For regular washes i just use the basic meguires car wash.

Good thing to look it up if Dawn hurts your paint though.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
ericlol
BMW Amature
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a08335k View Post
I think hes trying to get rid of the dealer wax/sealant type of stuff...

What's the point of doing clay on a brand new car?

Well, I guess the dealer wax/sealant are off from my car now, but I'd still wash it with meguiars gold class wash..
Appreciate 0