E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Springs vs Coilovers

01-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Slikpak
Learning Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' E93 M3

Springs vs Coilovers

whats the biggest diffrence between the two cause i have no clue
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

springs are exactly what they sound like - just the coilsprings themselves. A shorter spring will lower the car. You either need to re-use your factory struts and shocks, or buy an aftermarket set to be paired with the springs.

coilovers are the complete spring + strut/shock assembly together as a unit. Most are height adjustable, and some have adjustable damping too.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Springs just replace the factory springs and reuse the stock shocks. They are a more affordable upgrade but will not completely replace your suspension as you retain the factory shocks.

Coilovers is an adjustable suspension replacement that swaps out the factory springs and shocks for a setup that is ride and in some cases dampening adjustable. The advantage to coilovers is that you can dial in the suspension settings depending on what you prefer and are not stuck with one setup. With that said, they are more expensive than springs or a simple non adjustable spring/shock replacement.

For most people, I recommend going with the H&R Cup Kit which is a reasonably priced spring and shock replacement. This setup is not adjustable but does offer a significant improvement in performance and lowered ride height.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Well the basic explanation/definition is there for you. Consider this if you are on a lease and you are rocking springs it makes sense as you are likely to wear down your OEM shocks in about a 10 months (depends on driver obviously). Coilover will be properly valved shocks with springs that are adjustable to the ride height you need - and will be properly setup. Take into consideration after a year having to spend about $350 for the install again to now replace it with shocks(which will cost roughly 800) and the differences in price start to become negligible.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Well the basic explanation/definition is there for you. Consider this if you are on a lease and you are rocking springs it makes sense as you are likely to wear down your OEM shocks in about a 10 months (depends on driver obviously). Coilover will be properly valved shocks with springs that are adjustable to the ride height you need - and will be properly setup. Take into consideration after a year having to spend about $350 for the install again to now replace it with shocks(which will cost roughly 800) and the differences in price start to become negligible.
I have to agree with this that going with just springs without replacing the OEM shocks especially if they are non-sport package shocks, you will be doing a injustice to yourself...If you really want a suspension, do it right and change the springs and shocks at the same time because it will save you in the long run...The OEM shocks will fail really quickly and once they fail it will feel like when you hit a tiny bump, the car will fall apart...loud BANG! I know I just installed coilovers, but speaking from experience with my E30 just changing the springs and not the shocks, I paid twice because my stock shock which already had 18,000 miles on them failed 3 months later which I had to pay for the shocks and pay again for shock install! On my E36 i changed both the shocks and springs together....My E93 setup of coilovers, is my first experience with coilovers so I am kind of new with all the adjustments, understeer etc....I have my setup with 50/50 between firm and soft...Anyone with experience, what effect does this do to the handling as suppose to setting the shock more towards the firm side
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Coilovers are the way to go, do it right the first time.

If you guys don't want to spend too much money but want a quality product, get the ST coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
e90-4aj
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: E46-M3, F80-M3, 970 GTS

need to go with the coilovers
Appreciate 0