E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DSC unit failure @ 60k miles...

12-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #67
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockishen View Post
hey guys

another car a e90 320d 56000 on the odometer and the flipping lights came on
took it to chandlers and i think that this is so common that the man took 15 min to tell me the problem
have an exended bmw warranty but i will hammmer at BMW till i get an answer
and its three months out of warranty and a full service history

will see what it brings

dockishen
So, gonna tell us how you got on?
      12-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #68
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Yeah how did you guys get on with your failures?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #69
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Mine's booked in for 16th December so will post back. I'll try to get as much info along the way...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #70
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKnowHow View Post
Mine's booked in for 16th December so will post back. I'll try to get as much info along the way...
So are you effectively car-less for the time being or does the motor continue to work ok in the meantime?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #71
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I asked this very question of the dealer - I asked if (a) I could drive it, and (b) if it was safe to drive. There was a pause at the other end, and I then reminded them I only bought the car 4 days ago. The response was "don't drive long distances". That's impossible for me, as I bought the car in order to drive it... They explained that I'm effectively driving it without DSC or DTC.

I'm trying not to get in a twist over it, provided I get the right service when it actually goes in. I could let it really rile me and take the sheen off my ownership!

There's nothing I can do about it as I want to keep the car (rather than going down Sale of Goods Act etc) and just want BMW to fix it, and fix it properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #72
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

So basically the car works you just have to take it easy (especially as it's getting cold/wet now).

At least it's not a 330/335, probably much easier to get out of shape in one of those!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #73
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKnowHow View Post
I asked this very question of the dealer - I asked if (a) I could drive it, and (b) if it was safe to drive. There was a pause at the other end, and I then reminded them I only bought the car 4 days ago. The response was "don't drive long distances". That's impossible for me, as I bought the car in order to drive it... They explained that I'm effectively driving it without DSC or DTC.

I'm trying not to get in a twist over it, provided I get the right service when it actually goes in. I could let it really rile me and take the sheen off my ownership!

There's nothing I can do about it as I want to keep the car (rather than going down Sale of Goods Act etc) and just want BMW to fix it, and fix it properly.
You can drive the car as hard and as fast as you want and any distance, it makes no difference, you simply will not have DSC or DTC.

The fix is straight forward too, just replace the pump (in the engine bay passenger side) and code the car for the new pump and done, replacing the part is 45mins work and coding could take upto 2-2.5 hours if it doesnt code first time, otherwise it takes about 40mins too.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #74
monkeynuts
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Hi all...

Mine is a 320d on 62K on a 56. The warning lights (large yellow DTC circle in the main display and yellow brake light in the wanrning cluster) came on for me the other day. This was after quite a bit of DTC activity as roads were v slippy at the time. When I got to the next T-junction, I killed the ignition and re-started (I work in IT, so I always give that a try!) and the lights then went away and haven't come back since.

Initially, I thought the DTC was not working as suspected a bit of wheel spin without flashing light but this morning I was definitely able to trigger the DTC as expected and still no more warning lights.

My AUC waranty is due to expire at the end of next week!

Has anyone else had this problem intermittently like this and what do you think I should do?!

UPDATE: Just getting warranty renewal quotes and asked them about the DTC cover and they said it is covered but as long as it's not due to 'wear and tear'!! They weren't able to clarify what that meant and said that it's down to the descretion of the dealearship when they look at the parts! SOunds like a right stitch-up to me...

Last edited by monkeynuts; 12-09-2009 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #75
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Fixed quickly, FOC

I was feeling under the weather when I accepted the timespan from my dealer (16th Dec), so went down on Monday (7th) to complain and they fixed it all yesterday (8th), completely FOC. Apparently they replaced the hydraulics units. Returned washed, waxed, valeted...

Warning lights have disappeared, appears to be working as best as I can test it...

As soon as I get the worksheet I'll post any further info, but I'm having both headlight casings replaced under the AUC warranty as they're fogging up and refusing to clear even after 20 minutes of continuous use - parts goodwill from BMW, labour goodwill from Used Car sales, free courtesy car. Upshot is that the worksheet hasn't been completed until they replace the headlights.

I think they've also done a software update as I've got an extra service check available - I can't remember the icon off hand. I may also be imagining it, but it seems to be easier to get away in first than it was, but it's probably all in my head.

My advice would be to get it checked, though if there are no warning lights then presumably you'll be charged for "diagnosis" or somesuch. Wear and tear on a DSC unit - I'd have thought this was a "part for life" unless you're driving like a lunatic on tracks every weekend.

The service I've received from my dealer has been ace from Used Car Sales, mixed bag from Service Manager, ace from the actual technical work completed. Thought I'd give it a bit more time before naming them and really seeing what their service is like.

Last edited by ComputerKnowHow; 12-09-2009 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #76
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
Hi all...

Mine is a 320d on 62K on a 56. The warning lights (large yellow DTC circle in the main display and yellow brake light in the wanrning cluster) came on for me the other day. This was after quite a bit of DTC activity as roads were v slippy at the time. When I got to the next T-junction, I killed the ignition and re-started (I work in IT, so I always give that a try!) and the lights then went away and haven't come back since.

Initially, I thought the DTC was not working as suspected a bit of wheel spin without flashing light but this morning I was definitely able to trigger the DTC as expected and still no more warning lights.

My AUC waranty is due to expire at the end of next week!

Has anyone else had this problem intermittently like this and what do you think I should do?!

UPDATE: Just getting warranty renewal quotes and asked them about the DTC cover and they said it is covered but as long as it's not due to 'wear and tear'!! They weren't able to clarify what that meant and said that it's down to the descretion of the dealearship when they look at the parts! SOunds like a right stitch-up to me...
Hrm, not sure. Extending the warranty might not be a bad idea though, assuming it covers the parts in question?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #77
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post

The DSC pump or hydo pump is not a wear and tear part mate so not to worry about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #78
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
The DSC pump or hydo pump is not a wear and tear part mate so not to worry about that.
Are you 100% sure about that?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #79
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Are you 100% sure about that?
Yep 100% sure, its abit like a computer it sends signals to the brakes etc....nothing to do with wear and tear, its a non moving part which is covered up in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #80
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

OK - thanks for the replies chaps, I'll bear that in mind. Still can't replicate the problem mind you....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #81
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
Yep 100% sure, its abit like a computer it sends signals to the brakes etc....nothing to do with wear and tear, its a non moving part which is covered up in the engine bay.
Erm, by definition the hydro-pump must have some moving parts surely? Unless it's a purely electronic device in which case calling it a "pump" is a bit misleading...

Is the device in question more of a control unit rather than an actual pump?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #82
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

OMG!!!!

I finally read though all of u posts with this DSC failure issue. Shit, there is so many of u out there with this problem. I though i was the only one B4.

To make matters worse, my car is less than 6 month old. 2009 330d made from SA plant. So looks like im breaking the trend that this is only a problem for older cars. To make matter even worse, my is a complete DSC system failure. Even no bloody ABS.

Here is my post in Australia forum. There are pictures of the warning message shown on the idrive for those interested to see what it says on the new idrive.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326327

I need to wait 2-3 weeks atleast for the parts to arrive from Germany coz BMW Australia does not stock the parts.

So many problem with this new car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #83
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Just a question to those with DSC failure, Do u drive ur car hard often? Could it be our driving habbits that is causing it to stuff up.

Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #84
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
Just a question to those with DSC failure, Do u drive ur car hard often? Could it be our driving habbits that is causing it to stuff up.

Just a thought...
Just an update on mine - I haven't had the warning come up at all since the other week - and what with the snow, there's been plenty of DSC activity!

It was weird how the warning came on when I was pushing hard on wet roads though - it is possible that on that occasion it was being used more frequently than ever before or since.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #85
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just had the paperwork for the fix on my car and as promised here's some extra information.

It was all repaired/replaced free of charge to me, with the full bill going straight from my local dealer to BMW UK. This is under the Approved Used Car Warranty.

It took a full day, and was repaired on my E90 320d M Sport 56 plate at just over 40k miles.

The parts come to £1133.20 and the labour comes to £204.48. The invoice is very strange as the parts costs don't add up and the final invoice doesn't equal parts + labour, and doesn't include VAT either.

However, this is obviously an expensive repair bill.

For those interested, the lines in the invoice are:

Calling fault memory in diagnosing system
Brake system open time
Work through test Module B3540_L2_HE
Replace hydraulic unit for DSC
Program/encode control unit(s) (with CAS)
Initialise tyre failure indicator
DSC Calibration
B34.51.6.794.646 Hydro unit, 1 @ 1255.32
Z83130139897 Brake Fluid, 1 @ 3.41

Lots of mystery numbers on the right which don't add up, but the final bill to BMW UK is for £1337.68.

So if yours fails out of warranty, it looks like you will need lots of shiny pennies.

Hope this helps any of you with the same problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #86
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Thanks for the info!
      01-23-2010, 04:17 AM   #87
Taylor
Private
England
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d

hi new to the forums, i had this with my 05 reg 320d 104,000miles but i got the garage to get it fixed where i bought it from at a cost of £1780 at wheatley hall along with another £360 for the i drive as it didnt select anymore.glad i wasnt paying
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #88
gaznav
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Had the amber DSC and ABS "amber" lights on my 2006 320d Tourer before Christmas and have been saving up the nerve to go to BMW, which I did today. The result?

Yes, my pump has "packed up"

No, they won't do "good will"

But, "due to the number of DSC failures on the 3 series, BMW have come up with a part to repair the sensor that has failed in the pump at a cost of around £140"

Total cost of repair quoted at "around £420-£450 all in".

My issue is, there is obviuosly a serious design fault with the pump for the sensors to keep failing - so much so that BMW have come up with a fix. This is safety critical, in my opinion, should they not be "recalling" like Toyota have been doing worldwide (for an example of DSC malfunction going badly wrong see http://www.bmw-syndikat.de/bmwsyndik...E92___E93.html ).??

Still, better than the £1500approx to fix it that I was expecting.

Gaz
Appreciate 0