E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Sirius Retrofit in AB or GTA

10-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Sirius Retrofit in AB or GTA

I have just joined this very helpful forum and want to ask if anybody has done a Sirius retrofit with the BMW retailers in Calgary, Edmonton, or the GTA?

I purchased a CPO 2008 335i from Bavaria BMW (in Edmonton - I live in Calgary) and have a quote for $1460 (!!) from both Calgary dealers for the retrofit to my pre-wired car.

They charge 4 hours labour because of "software upgrading" before the sirius is coded. I understand that in the US, pre-retrofit software upgrades are covered by the factory warranty (I still have factory warranty left).

At Edmonton BMW, a service advisor was vague about the labour charge (1-6 hours, no guarantees, at $140/hr). I left a message with Bavaria's service dept., who never phoned back - nobody answers the phone there (? their usual level of service?). Dilawri BMW (Regina) said 4 hours labor, but only $1200 incl parts.

Any tips? What do you pay in the GTA? Anybody done the parts install (fairly simple) and then had a dealer agree to do the coding/registration? Anybody had this done cross-border?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Update,

Bavaria BMW SA called me back from Edmonton. They will do Sirius factory retrofit for '08-'09 E90 with 2 hours labour. They say that the 4+ hrs of labour for software updates that are needed before the install of sirius or any other retrofit (Bluetooth, etc.) are paid by BMW Canada, if the car is still under the 4/80 warranty.

So, if you are planning a retrofit, and your car is still under 4/80, and the dealer tells you that you have to pay labour for whole-car software update - they are wrong.

3 dealers that I phoned told me that labour for s/w update it is not covered by warranty (wrong) - the Bavaria SA was absolutely sure that it is.

My Sirius will now cost $900-1000, instead of $1460, but I have to drive from Calgary to Edmonton, because both Calgary dealers insit that BMW will not pay labour for software update (wrong).

HTH
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Gummi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I say it's a ripoff. I wanted Sirius because I'm a huge Stern fan. I ended up just getting a Stilleto 2 and mounting it by myself in the car, hiding the wiring and placing the antena on my dash where you can't see it then plugged into my auxillery. Didn't cost me a penny and it works fine. It isn't fully integrated but it's no problem. Depending on whether you have iDrive or Logic7, it can be a bitch to find somewhere to mount, though.
      11-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
RichardC
Sleepy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

I have sirius in my car. I find it annoying because if I drive under a large tree, overpass, bridge, or anything that obstructs a line-of-sight signal the radio cuts off. If you already have a Sirius account and a phone with a good data plan, just stream radio over bluetooth. I plan on streaming internet radio off a service like Slacker once my Sirius subscription expires.
Appreciate 0