E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > INPA

08-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
Ruster82
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d Efficient Dynamics

INPA

Is it safe to read and delete error codes while the engine is running or should it always be ignition on with engine off?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruster82 View Post
Is it safe to read and delete error codes while the engine is running or should it always be ignition on with engine off?
INPA has NO available Manual or Help file of which I am aware. Other Software or Scan Tools I have used state to Clear/Delete Fault Codes with Engine OFF/ Ignition ON. Some OTHER Software/ Scan Tools will NOT execute a "Clear Fault Code" operation with engine running, and give a warning onscreen to turn Engine OFF. I have adopted that practice and have NEVER tried to Clear Fault Codes using INPA with Engine on.

READING Fault Codes with Engine Running is NOT a problem. You are NOT doing anything but querying the Non-Volatile Memory (Fehlerspeicher) of the Module to display items saved in Memory (Fault Memory, Freeze Frame Data & Details), and that does NOT interfere with Module operation. Likewise, viewing a display of "Live Data", using F5 Status, does NOT interfere with Engine operation, even if the data being read are INPUTS to the DME.

Only thing other than Clearing Fault Codes (Fehlerspeicher löschen) that should NOT be done with engine running is SOME F6 Activations (Steuern). Read/Translate the "Activation Condition" (Ansteuerbedingung) at the top of the Screen. If you see one of the conditions is "Drehzahl = 0 1/min", that means Engine OFF (RPM = 0).

If you are first starting with INPA, you may NOT be past the "Functional Jobs" stage of reading/clearing Fault Codes. When you connect with a particular Module, such as the DME (MSD80 for N54), you can get a LOT more than just a Fault Code Number: (1) Fault Code Definition, Freeze Frame Data & Fault Details including how many times fault has occurred and mileage/km at which saved; (2) F5 Status reads "Live Data", or INPUTS to that Module from Switches, Sensors, Relays, Potentiometers, etc.; (3) F6 Activations (Steuern) where you can just observe conditions such as Speed of Coolant Pump, E-Fan, or Fuel Pump, OR you can Over-ride Module control and Request a specific speed or Setpoint (Sollwert); OR (4) F9 System Tests (in DME Module).

Please share what you learn on this forum, or the E90 Forum.
George
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Short answer, yes you can.
      08-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Ruster82
Private
England
Rep

Thank you both for the replies but still not sure now as one says no and one says yes.

gbalthrop: Other scanners I have used before have advised engine off ignition on as you say but I watched a video of someone driving the car getting a fault and clearing it instantly (with car still running, I think even still driving) which is what made me raise the question.

LMB335IS: I know it can be done as I have seen it as mentioned above.

So I guess what my question should have been is:

Although it is possible to delete error codes with the engine running, is it safe to do?

Was the person in the video risking damage to the ECU/modules?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Thank you both for the replies but still not sure now as one says no and one says yes.

gbalthrop: Other scanners I have used before have advised engine off ignition on as you say but I watched a video of someone driving the car getting a fault and clearing it instantly (with car still running, I think even still driving) which is what made me raise the question.

LMB335IS: I know it can be done as I have seen it as mentioned above.

So I guess what my question should have been is:

Although it is possible to delete error codes with the engine running, is it safe to do?

Was the person in the video risking damage to the ECU/modules?
All I can tell you, is from personal experience, on multiple cars, I've erased errors and done feature coding with the car running hundreds of times. There's always a risk but 99.99% of the time there is no issue. You'll run a bigger risk with insufficient voltage causing a issue.
      08-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Ruster82
Private
England
Rep

Cool thank you
Appreciate 0