E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > New non runflats

07-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

New non runflats

I have just made the change from runflats to non runflats and must admit the difference is really quite good. I have been reading threads on here for a while about this very subject and it is clear that there is a big shout for Falkens, I looked into them but was put off as they don’t do an oem size for my 225’s. I know people have them, but most of the places I visited (and they all had them and could of sold them to me) advised that this was not a good idea. I have very limited knowledge on tyres so it was difficult for me to argue the point with competent tyre fitters when all I could say is that some people on a BM forum have them and they love em’ Anyway I’m not posting to knock anyone’s tyre choice but thought I would mention it.
I ended up splashing out on a set of Continental SC-5’s, the whole job including tracking, alignment & balancing was a little over £900 which was a big hit and will mean my family will be living off pot noodle for the next month , but I think it was money well spent.
There is a noticeable difference in the ride, it’s a touch smoother and the noise in the cabin is much quieter. Pot holes are absorbed and not bounced over and there is more confidence when going around a corner, the fear of the car hopping if something is hit has gone. The Conti’s also install so much confidence when driving, I don’t really push my car that hard but there is a noticeable difference when pushing around corners. I would defo recommend these.
I have attached a picture of one of my old back tyre (they were both like this), the cambers were so out that the wheels were effectively working against each other and I was apparently only miles from a blow out. It’s funny that my local BMW dealer did not mention this to me last week when I picked the car up from its service
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Wow, that's scrubbed!

I changed this week too - I'm on 18" Falken 452 now, and the difference really is noticeable. Huge improvement
      07-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
damn!!!!! .....thats some innnnner wear!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

Is it to do with tracking or nature of run flats?
      07-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1tse View Post
Is it to do with tracking or nature of run flats?
Its just the way run-flats wear, my RTF were even worse than that picture on the inside shoulder when they came off, but I've been through some non-rft's since then and they have worn perfectly evenly.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
COBRAEDWARDS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

took my bm in for oil change at stealers.
told the rear tyres were dangerious.
(bridgstone rft,s)
tyres looked mint on the 7/8th,s of tyre you could see, 7mm of tread left insides of tyres had compleatly worn off, down to the metal cord sticking out of the side wall.
when i changed them at an indi tyre dealers, he said all the runflats wear like this on performance cars.
( is this just a bridgestone thing ? )
replaced with pirelli p-zero,s
Appreciate 0