E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Moron's at the Gym..

06-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #45
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Tuck your elbows when benching; hit lower on the chest. It takes a lot of the shoulder rotation of out the movement.
This is horrible advice, it works completely different muscles. The presses you are talking about work your triceps more than your pectorials.

This is like substituting inclune bench for decline bench or visa versa.

One of my biggest pet peeves are people like you who give bad/false information.

To the OP, if you don't hit your chest it is better, going to a 90 degree angle with your elbows is all you REALLY need. If you bounce the weight off your chest you are working the muscles less. Like the people that rock and arc their back when doing standing curls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_i View Post
saw a guy in the gym taking 10lb dumbbells and cycling them with his arms in front of him....weirdest exercise I have seen someone perform to date...it looked like his upper body was morphing into different shapes....

If you are talking about just holding them straight out and rotating, it works a range of muscles in your shoulders. I do this with my elbows on a bench to work a range of muscles in my biceps. Forearms have to be raise slightly off the bench of course
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #46
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
www.crossfit.com ....I really dont go to the gym anymore unless I have to
      07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #47
335_i
SpOoLiN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
What do you mean cycling?

It sounds like what you saw is called hammer curls. There are two alternate versions of them.

I hate people who do rows or anything directly in front of the free weights. And the guys who like to push their advice on you. Don't tell me doing wrist curls isn't doing anything for me, nor that the weight I'm using is too much for me. If I've seen results you wouldn't know about that because you're not me!
no, not hammer curls....I def know what that looks like....it looked like there was an invisible cycling machine in front of him and instead of turning the handles on the machine, he was using weights.....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #48
335_i
SpOoLiN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
...if you don't hit your chest it is better, going to a 90 degree angle with your elbows is all you REALLY need. If you bounce the weight off your chest you are working the muscles less...:mad0259
I second that...also by not bouncing the weight off of your chest keeps you from developing a fractured/cracked sternum...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #49
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
This is horrible advice, it works completely different muscles. The presses you are talking about work your triceps more than your pectorials.

This is like substituting inclune bench for decline bench or visa versa.

One of my biggest pet peeves are people like you who give bad/false information.

To the OP, if you don't hit your chest it is better, going to a 90 degree angle with your elbows is all you REALLY need. If you bounce the weight off your chest you are working the muscles less. Like the people that rock and arc their back when doing standing curls.

If you are talking about just holding them straight out and rotating, it works a range of muscles in your shoulders. I do this with my elbows on a bench to work a range of muscles in my biceps. Forearms have to be raise slightly off the bench of course
+1 on the bad info.

90 degrees is all you need, but it's also the position where the most strain is on the joint, just like in squats. If you can go slightly below 90 degrees, you're getting max benefit without risking your shoulders, and without changing direction at the point of least stability in the elbows.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #50
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

i think that i've spent too many years in the gym to really care about observing all these funny moments in the gym. the only thing that really irks me is the old fat guys that are ALWAYS naked in the locker room with their dicks hanging out. no one wants to see geriatric danglers.
      07-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #51
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
i think that i've spent too many years in the gym to really care about observing all these funny moments in the gym. the only thing that really irks me is the old fat guys that are ALWAYS naked in the locker room with their dicks hanging out. no one wants to see geriatric danglers.
My friend was weighing myself at LA fitness... there was a naked guy behind him stroking himself and he told him "that's a good weight."

He then went to the sauna and the guy followed him in. There was a shampoo bottle next to him, and he asked my friend to reach over his legs to get it for him.

Edit: some stories my friends told me

1) My friend says there's a ripped regular who poses in front of the mirror from time to time and will grunt obnoxiously loud (this is what he tells me). One day he yells, "Yes, I will marry you (name of lifter, forgot his name)!" And everybody just stared at him.

2) Another ripped guy just yelling "Supercharged, baby!"
      07-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #52
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
This is horrible advice, it works completely different muscles. The presses you are talking about work your triceps more than your pectorials.......To the OP, if you don't hit your chest it is better, going to a 90 degree angle with your elbows is all you REALLY need. If you bounce the weight off your chest you are working the muscles less. Like the people that rock and arc their back when doing standing curls.
Word. I was trying to imagine someone using a wider grip but tucking their elbows and that seemed very painful on the wrists. Going with a narrower grip and tucking the elbows is just a close grip bench with is primarily a triceps exercise.

When I barbell bench, I slowly lower the bar 1-2" above my chest, pause briefly, then press.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #53
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
When I used to work out on base in SD, there was always this old guy (probably a retiree) that just loved walking around nekkid. Not only that, he would sit on the wooden bench in front of the lockers and cross his legs AND READ A BOOK. If you imagine crossed legs, not knee-to-knee, but knee-to-ankle, you'll see the way our bodies are built, that means he was rubbing his bare asshole on the surface of the bench.

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen. People like that are why I'd rather drive home dirty and shower than do anything in those locker rooms.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #54
335_i
SpOoLiN
United_States
Rep

oh and another pet peeve that I have is seeing a father teaching a son/a friend teaching his buddy how to "workout"... except all of the workouts they are "teaching" will eventually lead the "students" to the hospital...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #55
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
1) My friend says there's a ripped regular who poses in front of the mirror from time to time and will grunt obnoxiously loud (this is what he tells me). One day he yells, "Yes, I will marry you (name of lifter, forgot his name)!" And everybody just stared at him.
Sounds like he's on the 'roids.
      07-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #56
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

I hate sweaty hairy guys asking to work in especially with no towels.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #57
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

I hate:
1. Toolbags wearing Afflictions shirts
2. guys my height (only 5'7 so we all have small guy syndrome) coming right next to me to me to compare themselves while doing the exact same workout-not knowing im currently going for toning, not strength. after about a set of that i double my weights and a watch them eye me up then walk away..

3. and lastly, this guy comes in in sweat pants, loose, cut off sweatshirt, with the hood up, dewrag on and sunglasses.. in a besement type freeweight area... Then all he does is shadow box.. then shadow box using the cable machine, then grabs 5lb db and shadow boxes with them.. then goes and around telling all the other young "gangsta's" how to work out...

I love seeing people i see on bodyspace in the actual gym..

BTW- Google my username and bodyspace and you'll see what im about
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #58
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The thing that pisses me off are chicks at the water fountain. They bring their bottles with them and fill them up at the fountain while people are waiting. I notice guys who bring bottles with them, if they're filling them up at the fountain, they'll let people get drinks and then fill up after their done. All the females however, selfishly don't pay attention to anyone but themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #59
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When I used to work out on base in SD, there was always this old guy (probably a retiree) that just loved walking around nekkid. Not only that, he would sit on the wooden bench in front of the lockers and cross his legs AND READ A BOOK. If you imagine crossed legs, not knee-to-knee, but knee-to-ankle, you'll see the way our bodies are built, that means he was rubbing his bare asshole on the surface of the bench.
You know, there's this older guy who does this in front of our showers as well. I don't know what's up with it...I never seen him in the gym, or the pool, but I've seen him sitting on the bench outside of the showers, completely naked, reading. I think he uses it as an excuse to eye people in the showers...but maybe I'm just thinking too much into it...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #60
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen. People like that are why I'd rather drive home dirty and shower than do anything in those locker rooms.
lmao, that sucks, A LOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #61
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I remember a couple years ago while working out at the gym there was this one guy and i saw him stand in one place and all of a sudden he did the triple jump. Then he rested for 30 seconds or so and repeated the same motion for like 5 minutes. That was a first for me. I guess he was a triple jump athlete or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #62
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
I hate:
1. Toolbags wearing Afflictions shirts
2. guys my height (only 5'7 so we all have small guy syndrome) coming right next to me to me to compare themselves while doing the exact same workout-not knowing im currently going for toning, not strength. after about a set of that i double my weights and a watch them eye me up then walk away..

3. and lastly, this guy comes in in sweat pants, loose, cut off sweatshirt, with the hood up, dewrag on and sunglasses.. in a besement type freeweight area... Then all he does is shadow box.. then shadow box using the cable machine, then grabs 5lb db and shadow boxes with them.. then goes and around telling all the other young "gangsta's" how to work out...

I love seeing people i see on bodyspace in the actual gym..

BTW- Google my username and bodyspace and you'll see what im about
lmao....my friend wears an affliction shirt (same one) all the time. We're going to a concert on Friday, I know he'll be wearing it. I hate those damn shirts.

I've never noticed the guys sizing up other guys before, that has to be hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
The thing that pisses me off are chicks at the water fountain. They bring their bottles with them and fill them up at the fountain while people are waiting. I notice guys who bring bottles with them, if they're filling them up at the fountain, they'll let people get drinks and then fill up after their done. All the females however, selfishly don't pay attention to anyone but themselves.
Rarely see that where I go. Although I'm there before the busy hour.

I hate the guys who don't use the bench, but use it to rest their one weight on. WTF? Are you too lazy that you can't pick it up off the floor? Get away from the bench.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #63
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

ok guys, random workout question.

forearms. i want mine to look wider. my friend and i go to the gym regularly (every other day at least) and we try to push ourselves and use each other as competition.

anyways, the only forearm workout we've been doing involves a wooden handle with a thin rope attached to the center, with the other end connected to a circular 12lb weight. we'll rotate that up and down with our arms extended until it wears our arms out (usually 5-6 reps which incl. one up and one down movement) and repeat for a total of three sets.

his arms are getting much wider than mine, but mine are stronger. granted, i have longer forearms, and i'm content with them, but i'd rather have that wide look...naw whaddahm sayin'?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #64
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post

forearms. i want mine to look wider. my friend and i go to the gym regularly (every other day at least) and we try to push ourselves and use each other as competition.

anyways, the only forearm workout we've been doing involves a wooden handle with a thin rope attached to the center, with the other end connected to a circular 12lb weight. we'll rotate that up and down with our arms extended until it wears our arms out (usually 5-6 reps which incl. one up and one down movement) and repeat for a total of three sets.

his arms are getting much wider than mine, but mine are stronger. granted, i have longer forearms, and i'm content with them, but i'd rather have that wide look...naw whaddahm sayin'?
I would suggest deadlifts.

Why are you so worried about your forearms? Heh.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #65
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I would suggest deadlifts.

Why are you so worried about your forearms? Heh.
Aighty. I'm not worried about em. I'm just pissed that my friend's (/competition) arms are like getting twice as big despite me being stronger. I just wanna have a balanced arm. I'm fine with my bi/tri/delts. I just have really damn long forearms.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #66
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post

Genetics, bottom line. They may or may not get 'a lot' wider. They will grow though.

Wrist excercises:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/For...#anchor1936059

I've done all sorts of wrist excercises, never super focused on them though. But have seen great gains, in my opinion. You want some serious pain though, do reverse barbell curls. That shit kills if you combine the right weight and reps.

I'm a small frame, so it's vital for me to have larger forearms to go with my bi'/tri's. Looking in pictures their at least twice as big as when I started.

I've noticed a lot of gains over the last 2.5 years

Good luck with it. On your last set grab a lighter barbell and reverse curl burn outs. You'll be on fire.

I use to do the handle/weight thing when I first started baseball at 5 or so. I rarely did it, but I was 5 so I didn't know how truely vital it was back then.
Appreciate 0