E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFE intakes?

02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

AFE intakes?

so I am looking to get a JB4 and an intake but I am a little unsure what I should get because these all look similar. Is it worth going Sealed intake or do I want to go with the regular DCI or the DCI with scoops? I dont intend to track it or anything. Just driving it pretty spirited at times. Thanks

Here are the options....

Also which filter would be better? i dont know the difference (see the options in the links)

http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...ckage-335i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...35i-Z4-35i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/AFE-Dual-...-335i-535i.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

copy and paste the link delete the stars and type in mod bargains...i guess this site won't allow me to put that because they got banned for some reason
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
not true but thanks, anyone else? anyone who got either of these systems please way in. Or anyone who knows a lot about the systems. Looking for any insight. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011
Quote:
not true but thanks, anyone else? anyone who got either of these systems please way in. Or anyone who knows a lot about the systems. Looking for any insight. Thanks
Before and after Dyno I did said otherwise
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

OP, I thought you might be interested in this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkybiznes View Post
Hope this helps someone out there!

So let's get started .......

The only engine/performance modifications I have installed are as follows:

Borla cat-back exhaust
aFe cold air intake
Dinan Stage II software

Fuel used: Shell V-Power 93 octane

Conditions were NOT ideal .....

97 degrees fahrenheit w/ 30% humidity
Used 2 fans blowing @ at 45 mph
Hood closed for ALL runs .........

In all we ran 3 sets of pulls due to changing the intakes from oem to aFe.
I started with the aFe cai installed first. Since this intake had been installed I have put about 150 miles on the odometer. Well adapted.

The best run w/ the aFe setup?

322.03 rwhp, 344.46 rwtq.

Keeping the hood closed along with the heat situation did not help the numbers. With the hood left open and the temperature 20+ degrees cooler I would expect much better results .....

Oil temp stayed at about the 230 range with 5 minutes between pulls for cool down.

Now the oem pulls .......

After the switch of cai's; the car was driven for approximately 30 minutes to allow for the car to adapt. We then ran one more set of 3 pulls for adapting purposes. Not real sure we got there. For the remainder of these pulls the car temp stayed at the 240 mark.

Best run was 313.40 rwhp / 327.15 rwtq

Besides the heat today I really believe the fans were inadequate with regard to available supply or "wind" needed for cooling. The hood staying closed was a huge contributor as well.

Below I've attached one graph showing the OEM pulls and one graph showing the aFe pull. If you look at the "curve" you will notice that it's about the same rpm range aFe advertises as having the most significant gains. It looks to be about a 15 rwhp difference .....??

OEM pulls .......

aFe pulls .... this is the best result achieved .....

This video shows the difference between the initial oem run and the latter aFe .. not to mention the tt's whistling!

Another pull w/ the aFe ........ second pull dropped 5 hp!! She was sweating

Once the weather starts to cool off I will be attempting some better numbers. However the numbers might reflect performance gains (or lack there of) doesn't take away from my new found enjoyment in driving my 335i once again. It may not show on paper how I would like it to but it definitely has made my ride more enjoyable.

** DISCLAIMER ** I have never had a vehicle (dyno'd) let alone posted anything this lengthy on a forum ......... be kind please
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
so I am looking to get a JB4 and an intake but I am a little unsure what I should get because these all look similar. Is it worth going Sealed intake or do I want to go with the regular DCI or the DCI with scoops? I dont intend to track it or anything. Just driving it pretty spirited at times. Thanks

Here are the options....

Also which filter would be better? i dont know the difference (see the options in the links)

http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...ckage-335i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...35i-Z4-35i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/AFE-Dual-...-335i-535i.htm

I run the stage 2 sealed one, not the elite . I guess I can't really say I feel that it makes much more hp but I don't feel like its lost any. I have yet to dyno the car with the intake and ets 5" fmic . The nice thing is if you want you can run the sealed one with the lid off to get that nice intake sound. Little off topic but where in CT do you live?
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

AFE's DCI dousn't lose power. Intake dyno results should be taken with a grain of salt, because there are way to many outside variables to change the result. What should be looked at is your WGDC value as well as IAT's to an extent (which even then isn't very reliable, because it depends on how heat soaked your FMIC is)

To answer your question, any of the three will do their job. Dry filters will have less flow, but filter more dirt compared to the oiled ones. The sealed intakes will receive cooler air, which in turn will make the turbo's work less than an open element intake which sucks in hotter air. The DCI's flow ability somewhat balances this out however, because it can flow more air (no ducting which brings in restrictions). This means the sealed will bring in cooler (denser) air but less of it at higher RPM's, while the DCI will give you more, less dense air. I would say pick based on if you like intake sound or not, and price
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think most will agree the Dci has the best bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
AFE's DCI dousn't lose power. Intake dyno results should be taken with a grain of salt, because there are way to many outside variables to change the result. What should be looked at is your WGDC value as well as IAT's to an extent (which even then isn't very reliable, because it depends on how heat soaked your FMIC is)

To answer your question, any of the three will do their job. Dry filters will have less flow, but filter more dirt compared to the oiled ones. The sealed intakes will receive cooler air, which in turn will make the turbo's work less than an open element intake which sucks in hotter air. The DCI's flow ability somewhat balances this out however, because it can flow more air (no ducting which brings in restrictions). This means the sealed will bring in cooler (denser) air but less of it at higher RPM's, while the DCI will give you more, less dense air. I would say pick based on if you like intake sound or not, and price
i just want whatever is safest for my engine. Also are the scoops actually worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
I run the stage 2 sealed one, not the elite . I guess I can't really say I feel that it makes much more hp but I don't feel like its lost any. I have yet to dyno the car with the intake and ets 5" fmic . The nice thing is if you want you can run the sealed one with the lid off to get that nice intake sound. Little off topic but where in CT do you live?
around North stamford, is the sealed intake a DCI? it doesnt look like it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

I used afe intake less than 3 months. Not worth it. Not much power increased over stock. its sound at wot was too quiet...just like stock box.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

In defense to AFE they make SEVERAL intakes. So to say they all "lose power" is a little off the wall.

BuraQ found substantial gains at the track and on the dyno using the AFE Stage 2 Elite SI Intake. We've been moving quite a lot of those. It's a great intake cause it's sealed box style and only breathes in cold air, unlike other DCI's.

They also have a cold air intake style which is based off the stage 2 elite si, that is a good performer as well but because of the price tag nobody really has it. We've maybe sold a handful of those.

Thread starter, if you need any help I'm a PM away. Our AFE intakes are priced extremely competitive if not better then the competition too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I got make myself a draft for threads like this for everytime they come up.

A DCI setup regardless if it is aFe or BMS etc will produce more gains over stock intake.

However, for the cheaper cost for more gains your turbos will "work harder" to produce boost and they become "less efficient". The reason is because the air in the engine bay is less dense than the "outside" ambient air.

Then other problem is having your BMW engine bay to looking like this

If your not keeping your car or its a lease, then go ahead and fire it up

Sometimes the cheaper alternatives come with an equal exchange ie a compromise depending on what you feel is more important to you.

CAI or Cold Air Intakes are exactly what they are. These are the benefits:
  • More Air Flow
  • Less Air Restriction
  • More Dense Air ie Cooler Air
  • Turbo Efficiency

Depending on the CAI it can produce near or even more gains than a DCI

I am running the aFe Stage 2 Elite SI, and it produced significant gains over the stock intake. Both tests where done in almost 10°F difference with the stock intake tested in the lower temps

In the winter weather intake cover can be taken off if your going to be racing and during summer weather cover on. Test above was done with cover on

However there is a general consensus, if you are not running more the 15+ PSI stick with the stock intake, just get a K&N filter replacement and perhaps add air scoops

Top Gear Solutions has the best deals you will find on NEW intakes
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I got make myself a draft for threads like this for everytime they come up.

A DCI setup regardless if it is aFe or BMS etc will produce more gains over stock intake.

However, for the cheaper cost for more gains your turbos will "work harder" to produce boost and they become "less efficient". The reason is because the air in the engine bay is less dense than the "outside" ambient air.

Then other problem is having your BMW engine bay to looking like this

If your not keeping your car or its a lease, then go ahead and fire it up

Sometimes the cheaper alternatives come with an equal exchange ie a compromise depending on what you feel is more important to you.

CAI or Cold Air Intakes are exactly what they are. These are the benefits:
  • More Air Flow
  • Less Air Restriction
  • More Dense Air ie Cooler Air
  • Turbo Efficiency

Depending on the CAI it can produce near or even more gains than a DCI

I am running the aFe Stage 2 Elite SI, and it produced significant gains over the stock intake. Both tests where done in almost 10°F difference with the stock intake tested in the lower temps

In the winter weather intake cover can be taken off if your going to be racing and during summer weather cover on. Test above was done with cover on

However there is a general consensus, if you are not running more the 15+ PSI stick with the stock intake, just get a K&N filter replacement and perhaps add air scoops

Top Gear Solutions has the best deals you will find on NEW intakes

i plan running map 1 on jb4 and i dont plan on tracking, what do you think i should do then?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I think you should save your money and add an fmic

Better gains, safer for your car, more consistency
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious
u dont know what ur talking about,log car and see how the iat rises with dci,the sealed afe is worlds ahead
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
around North stamford, is the sealed intake a DCI? it doesnt look like it
No the sealed intake is not a dci, it has one big oval shaped air filter.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i plan running map 1 on jb4 and i dont plan on tracking, what do you think i should do then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I think you should save your money and add an fmic

Better gains, safer for your car, more consistency
+ 1 what Kenny said. This should be first priority.Take care off cooling before raising boost

JB4 Map 1 prompts for 13 PSI, so keep the stock intake, and invest in upgrading your FMIC, then Oil Cooler, then intake, then downpipes (keep your mid catts on if your going cattless DPs. This is IMO)

Then you will will be "efficiently" ready to start bumping boost up
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzim335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious
u dont know what ur talking about,log car and see how the iat rises with dci,the sealed afe is worlds ahead
Just from my experience: baselined stock on the Dyno. Let it cool, I installed the afe stage 2, Dynod it again and it did not produce any significant difference (hood open and closed). In fact if anything it dropped torque and hp a bit. Ambient outside was 30-40* iirc.

That was enough for me and I returned it the next day.
This was years ago back in the jb3 days so maybe they redesigned it.
But no where near worth the $250
Or whatever I paid.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just from my experience: baselined stock on the Dyno. Let it cool, I installed the afe stage 2, Dynod it again and it did not produce any significant difference (hood open and closed). In fact if anything it dropped torque and hp a bit. Ambient outside was 30-40* iirc.

That was enough for me and I returned it the next day.
This was years ago back in the jb3 days so maybe they redesigned it.
But no where near worth the $250
Or whatever I paid.
The error in this is the DME needs time to adapt to the sudden changes. Thats why my test was a month apart and I am glad I tested the aFe in "worse temp conditions" from the previous stock

Also, aFe Power makes it very clear that you will not see the gains until after the DME has adapted to the new mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
rush jamaica
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i bmw

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane View Post
I used afe intake less than 3 months. Not worth it. Not much power increased over stock. its sound at wot was too quiet...just like stock box.
That's not true i think it sounds better than the oem box I don't know about the the hp but afe feels better on my car with a tune
Appreciate 0