E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive click failure

10-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
zvvbmw
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

iDrive click failure

Hello all !

New on this forum and boy am I glad I finally managed to register.

Ok straight to the problem. I've got a e90 with small navigation, business navigation dvd and a cd changer. Recently I made an update for the iDrive (the 2009 version to be exact). After that problems started. The iDrive control work fine except that i can't CLICK (to select something). Sometimes it comes back to normal but when it does it just clicks by itself on the screen as many times as I clicked when it didn't work. I have this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find a solution for it.

Please give me an advice to solve the problem.

THANK YOU

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvvbmw View Post
Hello all !

Ok straight to the problem. I've got a e90 with small navigation, business navigation dvd and a cd changer. Recently I made an update for the iDrive (the 2009 version to be exact). After that problems started. The iDrive control work fine except that i can't CLICK (to select something). Sometimes it comes back to normal but when it does it just clicks by itself on the screen as many times as I clicked when it didn't work. I have this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find a solution for it.

THANK YOU

This doesn't help you at all, but your English is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
zvvbmw
Private
Romania
Rep

Well, thanks. At least now i won't be so worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
StigUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

i drive

Are you saying that when you click on the wheel it doesn't register but any other direction works fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Hello all !

THANK YOU

Somewhere here somebody mentioned that to update your Business Navigation to Professional (we do not have Business Navigation in the USA E90) you will need to update/code your car to recognize that your controller is now "High" so it will properly work and communicate with the CIC. As a matter of fact, you need to code your car to recognize that you have now a Professional iDrive

Contact forum member Patrys, he may be able to help you...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
zvvbmw
Private
Romania
Rep

Let me clarify this a bit...

After I made an update for the car, about 2-3 weeks it worked just fine. Suddenly problems started.

I'll give you a more detailed example of the problem.

You start the car. At the display you see the main menu with the 4 main categories. Let's select entertainment. We CLICK down (we pull de control down). Works fine...Let's say that it displays the songs from the MP3 cd...I want to select a song...i slide down and i need to click on the control twice for the song to start, wright ? Problem is here....I press the control but nothing...i can continue to slide, to pull in every direction but when i want to click it doesn't work.

I'm confused because of the fact that the problem started about a week or two after i undated the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Let me clarify this a bit...

After I made an update for the car, about 2-3 weeks it worked just fine. Suddenly problems started.

I'll give you a more detailed example of the problem.

You start the car. At the display you see the main menu with the 4 main categories. Let's select entertainment. We CLICK down (we pull de control down). Works fine...Let's say that it displays the songs from the MP3 cd...I want to select a song...i slide down and i need to click on the control twice for the song to start, wright ? Problem is here....I press the control but nothing...i can continue to slide, to pull in every direction but when i want to click it doesn't work.

I'm confused because of the fact that the problem started about a week or two after i undated the car.
Is this a full CIC upgrade?

Did you get a BMW-dealer update or it was a custom update? If you got a BMW update then your controller is still set to "low", so it could be possible that the update simply accentuated a problem that was already there but you did not notice. Either that or somehow your controller became defective.

Contact forum member Patrys...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
zvvbmw
Private
Romania
Rep

Sorry but I don't understand what does CIC upgrade means.

It was a custom upgrade but I did it at a friend of mine at one of his garage. He is a mechanic so he knows his work...also most of his cars are BMWs.

Well maybe you are wright about the "low" set...I guess I'll check it out.
If I connect the car to the computer will it show the problem ? I mean it should...cause after i did the upgrade, also my audio system wasn't working properly because of the phone.And when I plugged the car to the computer, there was an error between the center console of the car and the phone...after we fixed that problem all went fine. Anyway if you have any other ideas please post them. Thank you

PS. I'll contact Patrys.
Appreciate 0