E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > technic harness and new speaker wire install questions

06-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

technic harness and new speaker wire install questions

I'm upgrading my base stereo system to an MS-8 and Jehnert Flatline speakers. I am also adding a center channel. I am running new wires for the 8" woofers under the seat as well as adding dedicated speaker wires for the mids in the door. I'll be placing the crossovers in the trunk of the car to avoid damage from the door constantly opening and closing.

I've been prepping my car for the install as everything is arriving at different times this week. I've actually all ready installed the center channel. So I've taken out the glove box, rear seats, trunk liner and also the trim pieces along the running board of the car.

My question is this, I noticed the rather large power cable running from the battery to the front of the car alongside the right side (passenger's side) of the car. I initially thought I would run the majority of the cables down the right side, through the glove box, and behind the HU. Except of course the speaker wire for the door which would part ways at the front door and the left side speaker wires.

That doesn't seem to make sense anymore as I think you would get a lot of potential noise from the power line. The excellent DIY by MW3m3R talks about taking the cables down the passenger side but he of course has the steering wheel on the right and the passenger side on the left.

Are most people running the wires down the left side? If so where are you crossing over to reach the HU? It seems like under the steering wheel would be a hassle. Is it possible to run it across under the driver's seat and through the center console? What about the right side speaker wires? I was also just thinking of crossing them over from the left side.

Also do you separate the switched power line from Technic's harness and run it down the right side? I am also a bit confused about the switched power line and powering the amp. It's not clear to me, do I also need to connect the MS-8 directly to the battery, fused of course?

Thanks for any insight,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

From what I have read and what I put in .

You are correct in assuming the passenger side is the noisy side of the
car. Yes you run the power wires directly to the battery for all your aftermarket stuff with a fuse. There is some debate at to how noisy the
chassis grounds are. One of the professional installers on this board suggests
running both the power and ground directly to the battery and since I bought his kit that's what I did and I don't have any noise. People that have used the other grounds have had mixed results. I think you only need to follow the existing wire routes to get good results but I guess is you started out with a base system they might not be there. I think most are buying the Technic Harness and he has a route plan with that. If you look in the Audio Contents
thread there should be some examples.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-20-2012 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Actually most of them don't really talk about how or where they run the harness or if they took into consideration that power cable on the right side. I was just hoping to elicit some specific response of what people have done.

I'm not to worried about the ground for the amp. Cable is cheap and I'll just ground at the battery. But thanks for clarifying that I connect both the switched power from the HU (via technic's harness) as well as the power cable to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The standard layout install of the Stereo harness that I use is attached below...

I normally run the output extension cable under the center console left side, under the driver seat and then door sills towards the trunk via the rear seat. The input extension cable is run the same way but on the right side. At the same time time I run the center and underseat woofers wires.

If there is a MOST connector at the Quadralock then it must be transferred to the new harness:

And if the woofers are to be independently powered then jumpers must be used at the OEM woofer connector so the front speakers can be reconnected to the input extension:

A custom MOST plug included by request with the harness in case of the OEM MOST plug not locking into the new harness (just transfer the fiber optic cables to the new plug). Jumpers are also included with the 6-CH woofer cable set.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stereo.pdf (17.4 KB, 669 views)

Last edited by Technic; 12-21-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks that helps a lot in my prep work with the couple of additional wires I need considering I am placing the crossovers in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Technic, if I am understanding you correctly, you say you run both input and output cables through the right side of the center console but output speaker cables would run under the driver's seat down the left side of the rear seat door trim and the input cables would run under the passenger seats down the right side the rear seat door trim?

The OP said he noticed he saw a large power cable running down the right side of the vehicle so wouldn't it be a better idea to run both input and output cables down the driver's side of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
Technic, if I am understanding you correctly, you say you run both input and output cables through the right side of the center console but output speaker cables would run under the driver's seat down the left side of the rear seat door trim and the input cables would run under the passenger seats down the right side the rear seat door trim?

The OP said he noticed he saw a large power cable running down the right side of the vehicle so wouldn't it be a better idea to run both input and output cables down the driver's side of the vehicle?
There is not that much space to run two thick cables on one side. So far no noise issues with this method.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is not that much space to run two thick cables on one side. So far no noise issues with this method.
That's good to hear. Was there a reason why both wires ran through the right side of the center console? Why not output through the left side down the drivers seat, and the input down the right side down the passenger seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's good to hear. Was there a reason why both wires ran through the right side of the center console? Why not output through the left side down the drivers seat, and the input down the right side down the passenger seat?
That was a typo...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turns out bringing the wires across the driver side isn't that bad and there's just a ton of room back there. I installed the extra tweeter wire on the drivers side door tonight from the trunk and I had to take apart the driver footwell area to pass the wire through. Fairly straightforward. Once I had it opened up I could see how easy it should be to pass technics harness through there. At least I hope! I'll find out when the harness arrives but for now that's the plan. I'll keep y'all posted with pics.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

It would be interesting to see the complete path.

It would be interesting to see the complete path.
I didn't have to do it but I think its one of the things
that are to obvious to get documented .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:

Plenty of space. IF you want to pull up door sills and tuck under carpet. I know you can also "tuck" inder door sills in which case not as much space.

If anything i would run return (powered) lines under the right side
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Plenty of space. IF you want to pull up door sills and tuck under carpet. I know you can also "tuck" inder door sills in which case not as much space.

If anything i would run return (powered) lines under the right side
Two cables under the carpet or tucked under one door sill on one side is just not funny.

Because the seats must be removed anyways to run wires to the woofers then running the cables on both sides of the center console and then under each front seat is easier and faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Two cables under the carpet or tucked under one door sill on one side is just not funny.

Because the seats must be removed anyways to run wires to the woofers then running the cables on both sides of the center console and then under each front seat is easier and faster.
Fortunately the Technic harness allows for many install choices
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ended up running one set of cables on each side of the center console until the seam in the carpet. On the drivers side I went under the seat and towards the sill at the backside of the seat. From the passengers side I went along the center column at the bottom all the way towards the rear seat. Then I followed the rear seat (knee level) over to the drivers side door sill and met up with the other bundle. Then up and over the rear tire and towards the trunk. thus I completely avoided the big red power cable and didn't have to worry about stuffing all of the wires under the carpet on one side. This worked perfectly and no real issues with fit. Even with technics 12 ga woofer cabling.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
fahren6557
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330xi

Just so I understand what would be the benefit of running new speaker wires to the 8" mids? Is it for using twisted speaker wires to reduced EM interference?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahren6557 View Post
Just so I understand what would be the benefit of running new speaker wires to the 8" mids? Is it for using twisted speaker wires to reduced EM interference?
This is the Stereo system: there are no dedicated woofer OEM wires.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
drubrew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Fortunately the Technic harness allows for many install choices
How do we go about ordering Technic harnesses?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

PM Technic for his harnesses

PM Technic for his harnesses
I think you need three responses to be able to do that.
Appreciate 0