E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Used JB4 and DCI help please

10-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Rev City
Rep
Drives: N54 335i

Used JB4 and DCI help please

Hello everyone this is my first post to the forum and ive heard this is the place to come with N54 engine questions!

I have always been a BMW fan working my way up through models since I started driving. Having just turned 30 I felt I had enough experience to go for something with more power and after lots of research settled with the 335i

So after lots of searching I found one with relatively low mileage for the age 2007 with 74K and a full service history. The car has been great fun and after a while I decided to try and get my hands on some tuning parts... After all thats one of the big attractions of this model right!

Anyway as many of you might know its not straight forward getting a JB4 and the burger tuning dual cone intakes in the UK. But after a lot of searching I found a guy who seemed pretty decent and he was selling a JB4 G5 and DCI that had both seen very little use. His reason for selling was he brought the M3. So I went ahead a brought both from him.

This leads me to my questions:

Firstly, does anyone know if the JB4 requires any special treatment before I install it into my car? Im not sure if the fact it has been used in a different car matters or not?

Secondly, I have already installed the intakes and during my first run the engine light came on under some hard accelerating. I let off of the gas and after about a minute of normal driving the light went off. Is this normal or is there something I need to look at?

So thats it! Thanks for those of those who read this post through to end!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev City View Post
Hello everyone this is my first post to the forum and ive heard this is the place to come with N54 engine questions!

I have always been a BMW fan working my way up through models since I started driving. Having just turned 30 I felt I had enough experience to go for something with more power and after lots of research settled with the 335i

So after lots of searching I found one with relatively low mileage for the age 2007 with 74K and a full service history. The car has been great fun and after a while I decided to try and get my hands on some tuning parts... After all thats one of the big attractions of this model right!

Anyway as many of you might know its not straight forward getting a JB4 and the burger tuning dual cone intakes in the UK. But after a lot of searching I found a guy who seemed pretty decent and he was selling a JB4 G5 and DCI that had both seen very little use. His reason for selling was he brought the M3. So I went ahead a brought both from him.

This leads me to my questions:

Firstly, does anyone know if the JB4 requires any special treatment before I install it into my car? Im not sure if the fact it has been used in a different car matters or not?

Secondly, I have already installed the intakes and during my first run the engine light came on under some hard accelerating. I let off of the gas and after about a minute of normal driving the light went off. Is this normal or is there something I need to look at?

So thats it! Thanks for those of those who read this post through to end!
Its unlikely the intake would have caused a light, more likely a problem with the car. Read the code and go from there. Probably fueling or misfire issue.

AS for JB4 you never know what settings the previous user inputed, so I would install, fish new firmware, restore defaults and make sure there are no weird menu options selected. Always helps to ask the original user if he made any changes.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Rev City
Rep
Drives: N54 335i

Thanks Mike, appreciate the help. I will get the codes read and go from there then
Appreciate 0