E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Big Motoring World, Independent Used BMW Cars for Sale in West Malling, Kent, Reviews

10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #1123
Glenborama
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper 2002

Canterbury motoring world

Sadly I was foolish enough to purchase a Mini from Canterbury Motoring World, owned and run by the same people behind Big Motoring World. For my partner.

I attach the transcript of the email chain with Craig the manager.

We have been provided with 50 pounds in cheque form as "good will" gesture. I should point out this took two months, numerous emails and the threat of legal action to achieve this. The cheque was accompanied by a very sarcastic and horrible letter.

I have since had the vehicle inspected elsewhere. It has over 1.5K worth of repairs required to be road legal and safe for my partner to drive.

I can not advise strongly enough to please avoid dealing with this so called dealership.

Dear Craig,

I am writing to you in respect of your recent dealings with my partner **** **** and in respect of the below detailed transaction :

Purchase of vehicle : Mini Cooper. Reg : **** *** Balance : £3,331.30 Date 09/08/2012

09/08/2012 Vehicle purchased from yourselves (Canterbury Motoring World.) Assurances granted that the vehicle had received a full, service, inspection and any issues were detailed on the MOT.

10/08/2012 Less than 12hrs after purchasing the vehicle it is unable to start. My partner ********* is left stranded with a vehicle, that is unable to start.
As I am aware my partner contacted yourselves immediately and was informed that no help, corrective action or attention would be provided.

*****, calls myself I advise her to contact yourselves again as this is simply laughable customer service.

I understand ******* then spoke to you at length where she had to take a strong approach in order for you to offer any assistance. I would like to point out this was a lady on her own, who had acted in good faith in purchasing a vehicle from yourself less than 12hrs earlier. (The AA, RAC, Green flag any motoring service have specific rules and regulations around the priority placed on lady’s on their own.)

You and all of your staff should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves for conducting yourselves in such a thoroughly unprofessional manner and total lack of customer care, after service or frankly concern for a customer.

Eventually the vehicle was recovered, ****** was told to wait, whilst provided with a courtesy car. This ******* did for over three hrs before eventually calling yourselves and being informed the vehicle had received a full inspection and was available for pick up. (I would point out, that ****** had to call yourselves, again rather laughable.)

On picking the vehicle up, ******* was informed the vehicle had received a full inspection. ****** requested a breakdown of the work, was informed this was unable to be produced at the time and would be posted to us as a matter of urgency.

12/08/2012 ******* and myself take the vehicle for a drive, ******* is understandably nervous and wishes to be accompanied post the events of the 10/08.

On the first attempt at stopping and leaving the vehicle on returning to it, it is predictably unable to start. 2hrs after placing a call to a road side assistance recovery service and at the cost of £100 the TEN YEAR OLD vehicle battery is replaced.

I am sure you can imagine my personal confusion on how a vehicle that received a full inspection and service before being placed on sale, another one before being handed over to us and a further one only two days earlier could have a ten year old, almost permanently discharged battery (The AA engineers words, not mine.)

13/08/2012 ***** again is forced to drive to your show room as predictably no breakdown of the work undertaken has been provided. I believe again ****** discussed the matter with yourself, where you offered to reimburse the cost of the new battery (at the time of writing this has not been received and I believe we have again chased today. This is now promised to be with me tomorrow the 17/08/2012)

This is frankly the most laughable customer service I have personally experienced I STRONGLY suggest as an absolute minimum your provided ****** with a gesture to say sorry for the inconvenience, stress and the horrendous level of service and conversations she has been forced to have with you.

I have far better things to do with my time. I certainly don’t expect to spend my one day off, spending three hrs in a car park awaiting a breakdown service. For a vehicle that we have just purchased from a dealer that promotes itself as being “small enough to care” (Your advertisements not my words.)

Again some form of compensation or gesture is appropriate here.
I have passed a copy of all of the correspondence and the details of ******* conversations with yourselves to my solicitor.

I will hold any impending action until I hear back from you and I do hope we can settle this matter with the minimum of fuss and we are made to feel like a valuable and wanted customer once more.

I would appreciate a prompt reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #1124
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenborama View Post
Sadly I was foolish enough to purchase a Mini from Canterbury Motoring World, owned and run by the same people behind Big Motoring World. For my partner.

I attach the transcript of the email chain with Craig the manager.

We have been provided with 50 pounds in cheque form as "good will" gesture. I should point out this took two months, numerous emails and the threat of legal action to achieve this. The cheque was accompanied by a very sarcastic and horrible letter.

I have since had the vehicle inspected elsewhere. It has over 1.5K worth of repairs required to be road legal and safe for my partner to drive.

I can not advise strongly enough to please avoid dealing with this so called dealership.

Dear Craig,

I am writing to you in respect of your recent dealings with my partner **** **** and in respect of the below detailed transaction :

Purchase of vehicle : Mini Cooper. Reg : **** *** Balance : £3,331.30 Date 09/08/2012

09/08/2012 Vehicle purchased from yourselves (Canterbury Motoring World.) Assurances granted that the vehicle had received a full, service, inspection and any issues were detailed on the MOT.

10/08/2012 Less than 12hrs after purchasing the vehicle it is unable to start. My partner ********* is left stranded with a vehicle, that is unable to start.
As I am aware my partner contacted yourselves immediately and was informed that no help, corrective action or attention would be provided.

*****, calls myself I advise her to contact yourselves again as this is simply laughable customer service.

I understand ******* then spoke to you at length where she had to take a strong approach in order for you to offer any assistance. I would like to point out this was a lady on her own, who had acted in good faith in purchasing a vehicle from yourself less than 12hrs earlier. (The AA, RAC, Green flag any motoring service have specific rules and regulations around the priority placed on lady’s on their own.)

You and all of your staff should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves for conducting yourselves in such a thoroughly unprofessional manner and total lack of customer care, after service or frankly concern for a customer.

Eventually the vehicle was recovered, ****** was told to wait, whilst provided with a courtesy car. This ******* did for over three hrs before eventually calling yourselves and being informed the vehicle had received a full inspection and was available for pick up. (I would point out, that ****** had to call yourselves, again rather laughable.)

On picking the vehicle up, ******* was informed the vehicle had received a full inspection. ****** requested a breakdown of the work, was informed this was unable to be produced at the time and would be posted to us as a matter of urgency.

12/08/2012 ******* and myself take the vehicle for a drive, ******* is understandably nervous and wishes to be accompanied post the events of the 10/08.

On the first attempt at stopping and leaving the vehicle on returning to it, it is predictably unable to start. 2hrs after placing a call to a road side assistance recovery service and at the cost of £100 the TEN YEAR OLD vehicle battery is replaced.

I am sure you can imagine my personal confusion on how a vehicle that received a full inspection and service before being placed on sale, another one before being handed over to us and a further one only two days earlier could have a ten year old, almost permanently discharged battery (The AA engineers words, not mine.)

13/08/2012 ***** again is forced to drive to your show room as predictably no breakdown of the work undertaken has been provided. I believe again ****** discussed the matter with yourself, where you offered to reimburse the cost of the new battery (at the time of writing this has not been received and I believe we have again chased today. This is now promised to be with me tomorrow the 17/08/2012)

This is frankly the most laughable customer service I have personally experienced I STRONGLY suggest as an absolute minimum your provided ****** with a gesture to say sorry for the inconvenience, stress and the horrendous level of service and conversations she has been forced to have with you.

I have far better things to do with my time. I certainly don’t expect to spend my one day off, spending three hrs in a car park awaiting a breakdown service. For a vehicle that we have just purchased from a dealer that promotes itself as being “small enough to care” (Your advertisements not my words.)

Again some form of compensation or gesture is appropriate here.
I have passed a copy of all of the correspondence and the details of ******* conversations with yourselves to my solicitor.

I will hold any impending action until I hear back from you and I do hope we can settle this matter with the minimum of fuss and we are made to feel like a valuable and wanted customer once more.

I would appreciate a prompt reply.
Pathetic. So you havent got back any of the £1.5k you have spent either?

This letter tells you all you need to know about Big Motoring World and their customer service ethics.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #1125
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm3csl View Post
I have had many cars from these guys with no problem, they are the cheepest around and sell loads of cars, don't be put off by some bad stories not everyone is going to be happy....... my last car I got from them 3 months ago was an m3 csl, I looked everywhere and these guys were the cheepest and best......... I think if you want to be treated like a king and pay well over the odds go to BMW main dealer, but for good cheep cars these guys are the best, just go and have a look.
Only just spotted this thread, thick ***** cant even spell "Cheap"
      10-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #1126
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Only just spotted this thread, thick ***** cant even spell "Cheap"
Hmm, bad spelling, coincidentally so have some of their staff who have posted here....

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #1127
Glenborama
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Pathetic. So you havent got back any of the £1.5k you have spent either?

This letter tells you all you need to know about Big Motoring World and their customer service ethics.
Nothing at all. I really can not stress enough please do not use them. This has dominated my life since purchasing, it is like dealing with someone who has zero social, people skills. More worryingly clearly not alone in this experience quite how they are able to still trade is a massive cause for concern.

I wish I had found this thread earlier, feel very foolish for not. Feel even more foolish for so clearly being taken as a fool and the ability of the dealership to yell at a customer is simply beyond words, let alone the dishonest and frankly horrific approach to a transaction.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1128
edowen
Major
Rep

You have my sympathy.

I'm sure you probably want to move on with your life - but worth letting trading standards know, they are bound to have had others, and if everyone reported them, something might get done.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #1129
Glenborama
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
You have my sympathy.

I'm sure you probably want to move on with your life - but worth letting trading standards know, they are bound to have had others, and if everyone reported them, something might get done.
Hi, I have sadly they seem very well known to them. Hopefully it may assist someone else from acting in good faith and being exposed to this awful dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #1130
Lazza
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Talking

It should be noted that Big Motoring World are branching out and now have Canterbury Motoring World in, yep, you guessed it, Canterbury.

I would never assume though that Canterbury Motoring World are rubbish, dishonest, cowboy, rip-off merchants selling crap, poor quality cars, as I would definitely not assume that of Big Motoring World either.......

Oh yeah, they sell BMW's, Audi's, Minis AND Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1131
Red5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi guys

A couple of years ago, a member of babybmw posted a link to your epic 'Big Motoring World thread'.
We all laughed and pointed, but then the thread fell down the list.

Last night a new member called 'Big Motoring World' bumped the thread in true Big Motoring World style, defending the company and inviting emails

Big Motoring World said....
"My name is Peter Waddell I'm the owner of this group of company my e mail address is peterbmws@hotmail.co.uk. As I'm not always there as I run 7 company . I noticed that this forum talks about our company yes we have over 700 cars mostly bmws and we cannot get everything right please e mail me with anything you think we should change as we do try we have been running for over 20 years and are still expanding we sell over 400 cars a month and we will never please ever one but as I said hear is my e mail we have been abused buy other car dealers how are not supermarket just like a corner shop to asdas but people now shop different. So because they can't compete on price they right on forum as they can't be named please if we sell a car to anyone how is not happy please please e mail me on peterbmws@ hotmail.co.uk. Thanks for reading this"

This is a link to the bbmw thread. Don't worry, as ours is only 3 pages long

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20434

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #1132
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Hi guys

A couple of years ago, a member of babybmw posted a link to your epic 'Big Motoring World thread'.
We all laughed and pointed, but then the thread fell down the list.

Last night a new member called 'Big Motoring World' bumped the thread in true Big Motoring World style, defending the company and inviting emails

Big Motoring World said....
"My name is Peter Waddell I'm the owner of this group of company my e mail address is peterbmws@hotmail.co.uk. As I'm not always there as I run 7 company . I noticed that this forum talks about our company yes we have over 700 cars mostly bmws and we cannot get everything right please e mail me with anything you think we should change as we do try we have been running for over 20 years and are still expanding we sell over 400 cars a month and we will never please ever one but as I said hear is my e mail we have been abused buy other car dealers how are not supermarket just like a corner shop to asdas but people now shop different. So because they can't compete on price they right on forum as they can't be named please if we sell a car to anyone how is not happy please please e mail me on peterbmws@ hotmail.co.uk. Thanks for reading this"

This is a link to the bbmw thread. Don't worry, as ours is only 3 pages long

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20434

What do you think?
Great, isn't it I posted the original link on BabyBMW back in 2010 and as you say, the thread was dead. As a UK based forum, there is more caution over there so a reluctance to be too critical about a UK company. The post quickly died - until now. I'll give BIG his due, if 'foot shooting' were made an Olympic sport, he would now be the proud owner of a shiny gold medal!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #1133
basitha
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i se

Thought I’d just add my two pence worth!

Everyone needs to keep this thread going to bringing maximum shame to this company!

This lot sound like a total bunch of clowns, a Mickey Mouse outfit that consumers shouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

We need to bring this lot to their knees and make them beg for forgiveness. They need to issue a press release apologising for the anger and inconvenience caused and put right everything that they have done wrong!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1134
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
That e-mail from the owner if genuine says it all really. terrible spelling and grammer, backed up by a hotmail account! Why a hotmail account when their sales address is sales@bigmotoringworld.co.uk ?

Maybe this is not a genuine post or email or the guy is even slower than we thought and has used his own personal hotmail account from the 90's. Either way something smells very fishy. I imagine it is probably Big Motoring world.

And to bump a thread with a reply like that. Some people should not be allowed computers (if genuine).

Just a nother thing to note that if we keep posting the keywords in this thread it will most likley have a negative impact on the search engine rankings due to over optimisation. Unfortunatly the days of simple, lazy SEO through spam and keyword stuffing are long gone. It seems it's all about content and diversity now!

Last edited by nicktyler; 10-24-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #1135
seamaster
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 325d SE

What is Mike Brewer from Wheeler Dealers doing?... I was watching ITV (Star Wars) and Mike came on advertising this business, does he not know any better?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #1136
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster View Post
What is Mike Brewer from Wheeler Dealers doing?... I was watching ITV (Star Wars) and Mike came on advertising this business, does he not know any better?
Why not all Tweet him.

@mikebrewer
      11-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #1137
Adil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci M Sport

Are these guys related to that company 4front in any way as i;ve heard similar things?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #1138
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Why not all Tweet him.

@mikebrewer
oh, i'm all over that ;D
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1139
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Mike Brewer hasn't been on tv much so I suppose he needs the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1140
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

heh, :S
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #1141
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Mike Brewer, due diligence? Fail
      11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #1142
-TARBY-
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 07 330d M Sport Saloon 6 Speed

Ive just visited their website to be reminded about how they portray themselves.... Has their website had some kind of update.. What's that video all about...?
      11-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #1143
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Mike Brewer sell out!
      11-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1144
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TARBY- View Post
Ive just visited their website to be reminded about how they portray themselves.... Has their website had some kind of update.. What's that video all about...?
haha, don't give them the traffic!
Appreciate 0