E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Lock nut socket shredded...

11-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
parps
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i xDrive

Lock nut socket shredded...

So...I was doing my winter changeover last night and ended up destroying my wheel lock key.

Not sure how much damage I did to the stud, but I'm hoping that if I get a new key, I should be ok.

Any idea how much dealers charge for a new key? (would they even give me one?)

I know I can call myself, but I'm at work at the moment, so if anyone has any tips, please let me know. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parps View Post
So...I was doing my winter changeover last night and ended up destroying my wheel lock key.

Not sure how much damage I did to the stud, but I'm hoping that if I get a new key, I should be ok.

Any idea how much dealers charge for a new key? (would they even give me one?)

I know I can call myself, but I'm at work at the moment, so if anyone has any tips, please let me know. Thx!
Dealer/manufacturer. ANOTHER reason to avoid these things. I havent used those for 20 years and have never had anything stolen. Thats why we have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

never use the oem wheel locks. then again, they don't work when you're using 20mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
parps
Private
Rep

thx for the replies. I think I'll skip the lock nuts from now on. I don't really see where my wheels could get stolen.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

A new set (4 with key) was around 47. Found out I was missing one when I was changing over.

Decided to get a full set right away than wait for the dealership re-order the nut and key.

They can order you one as long as you have the code #.
      11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

i have a spare one
but dont know if the lock codes match
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

depending on which lock system you have, if by any chance you have " this kind " if you look at the top of the lock there should be number stamped into it . Something like 23....34.....41 right in the middle of the lock, and that would be your lock number, with this you can go to the dealer anywhere, and ask for a lock with that particular number. If I'm not mistaken they are about $10 or close to it.
Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
parps
Private
Rep

thx for the tips. called the dealer with the number on the key. cost is $14 and should be in by tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thx for the tips. called the dealer with the number on the key. cost is $14 and should be in by tomorrow
So if you have a flat you have to wait for a day or more to change it? If you are a criminal you just have to check which key is required? Waste of time and money. I just saw a set of steelies with wheel locks...........................T best all they do is slow a thief down. I believe wheel locks began their life being offered with rust proofing and paint/fabric protectant. Dealer makes $50/set x300 cars.........presto $15,000.00. Smart.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
I like my OEM BMW wheel lock key better than the crappy McGard one I had for my old Audi. The BMW came with them already, but for the Audi I bought the set. 2 of those keys stripped and almost the 3rd, and never put them back on again.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

I own a tire store, and in my mind the BMW locks are one of the best out there.
I don't quite understand comments made couple post up.... but
Locks are made to detour anybody from wanting to steal your wheels, and no it does not make it impossible, just more difficult.
As of yet I had not seen a lost wheel set that I could not take off, without a proper lock. It takes me a bit longer than usual, but eventually they all come of. Mcguard makes a s*&^ of locks for different manufactures thank God it is not for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myE70 View Post
I own a tire store, and in my mind the BMW locks are one of the best out there.
I don't quite understand comments made couple post up.... but
Locks are made to detour anybody from wanting to steal your wheels, and no it does not make it impossible, just more difficult.
As of yet I had not seen a lost wheel set that I could not take off, without a proper lock. It takes me a bit longer than usual, but eventually they all come of. Mcguard makes a s*&^ of locks for different manufactures thank God it is not for BMW.
This guy suggests that he has to wait for a key. What happens if youre caught with a flat in the
middle of nowhere and key is fu%$#$ or lost? Don't see the point. Lots of people use them....not me. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
parps
Private
Rep

...so i got my replacement key and tried to remove the lock nut.

As I cranked on the breaker bar, it budged a little bit but didn't look like the bolt was turning, so I took the key out to inspect it. This new key was also starting to shear/shred.

So I said screw it. Went to BMW and got 4 regular bolts. removed the remaining 3 before the key was destroyed and replaced them with the regular bolts.

To remove the final (obviously over-torqued bolt), I went to Princess auto and picked up a set of reverse threaded lock removal sockets. Less than 3 seconds with an impact wrench and the bolt was out. I see no use to these things. All a thief has to do is get a set of these reverse threaded sockets (for $20), and your wheels are gone. What's the point???

Probably the last time I'll ever use lock nuts.... what a pain in the arse.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

As I cranked on the breaker bar, it budged a little bit but didn't look like the bolt was turning, so I took the key out to inspect it. This new key was also starting to shear/shred.

So I said screw it. Went to BMW and got 4 regular bolts. removed the remaining 3 before the key was destroyed and replaced them with the regular bolts.

To remove the final (obviously over-torqued bolt), I went to Princess auto and picked up a set of reverse threaded lock removal sockets. Less than 3 seconds with an impact wrench and the bolt was out. I see no use to these things. All a thief has to do is get a set of these reverse threaded sockets (for $20), and your wheels are gone. What's the point???

Here we go again.........went over to help a Pal do change over......couldnt find lock key. Dealer never left it in the car as they did changeover last yr. It was Sunday so it has to wait until today.........AT LEAST. Possibly dumbest product ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Bram335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 AW

Quote:

Had the same trouble last night with my wheels. Got 3 winters on and still 1 summer - lol. The key and the nut are completely shredded
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram335 View Post
Had the same trouble last night with my wheels. Got 3 winters on and still 1 summer - lol. The key and the nut are completely shredded
We are all learning....one at a time......those things are evil ...and useless.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Bram335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
We are all learning....one at a time......those things are evil ...and useless.
So frustrating man, I threw all the wheels locks in the garbage and replaced it with regular ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
So are you all using the OEM wheel locks, or something aftermarket like McGard? My OEM ones seem to be holding up very well, considering the car is now approaching 7 years old. I wonder if it's worth ordering an extra key now, just in case it might be needed later.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
So are you all using the OEM wheel locks, or something aftermarket like McGard? My OEM ones seem to be holding up very well, considering the car is now approaching 7 years old. I wonder if it's worth ordering an extra key now, just in case it might be needed later.
I guess you havent been following this thread. A few of us don't see why we need them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
usher93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Sadly the wheel locks are useless. I also had a shredded lock nut and and simply took it off by putting An oversized socket between the wheel hole and the bolt. Came out with no trouble. As long as you park your car in a garage at night I wouldn't be too worried.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usher93 View Post
Sadly the wheel locks are useless. I also had a shredded lock nut and and simply took it off by putting An oversized socket between the wheel hole and the bolt. Came out with no trouble. As long as you park your car in a garage at night I wouldn't be too worried.

Thats why we have insurance.
Was at a local garage yesterday. The guy was laughing at these things. They have an impact gun that takes the locks right off. Then he goes to a new car dealership to buy their takeoffs (from installing locks) for cheap. What a racket.
Appreciate 0