E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5677
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
I was looking for that thread !!!

From my understanding my logs 2-3 looks good but i'm posting them here to make sure ! Just rename to .csv Thanks
Your logs look pretty good. You had some timing corrections on the first pull during the shift but that's not too bad and on the second pull the corrections disappeared on all but one cylinder. Corrections during a shift aren't unheard of and may not be in reaction to a real knock event.
Cobb AFRs are always strong but yours are some of the strongest i've seen. The AFR trace is as flat as machined straight edge lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #5678
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Your logs look pretty good. You had some timing corrections on the first pull during the shift but that's not too bad and on the second pull the corrections disappeared on all but one cylinder. Corrections during a shift aren't unheard of and may not be in reaction to a real knock event.
Cobb AFRs are always strong but yours are some of the strongest i've seen. The AFR trace is as flat as machined straight edge lol
That's good ! We get some good gaz up here in canada. As said previously as I think petro-canada 94 octane (only company with more than 91 in quebec) gaz is crap (mileage is bad and had knock in previous vehicule) I'm running shell v-power 91 + nos booster. Now i'm confident about using octane booster for the track or to run agressive ! Lower temps from tonight help as well !

I still getting used to read datalog from the bimmer as kinda different from my 08 civic si I had previously tuned

EDIT : Anyone know how to trim a log so I can see what virtual dyno give as numbers ?

Last edited by max_k20; 07-09-2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Added text
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #5679
rader1
Banned
Rep

The best thing to do is just log a 3rd gear pull and load it into VD. VD will auto trim it a little bit.

OFF TOPIC: what were your mods on the civic?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #5680
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
The best thing to do is just log a 3rd gear pull and load it into VD. VD will auto trim it a little bit.

OFF TOPIC: what were your mods on the civic?
PM'ed

SO cannot really trim existing logs to keep 3rd gear only
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #5681
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
PM'ed

SO cannot really trim existing logs to keep 3rd gear only
nope, need a dedicated log.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #5682
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

E85 mix

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I am by no means an expert on the subject but I did email roundel tech editor Mike Miller regarding E85 fuel mixing and this is what he had to say:

"BMW haltingly recommends no more than 10 percent ethanol (E10) and BMWs are absolutely not designed to run on E85 under any circumstances including a mix.

A BMW dealership would probably be legally justified in denying warranty coverage for damage caused directly by E85 fuel."

He also relayed that he is not rendering legal advice here but that he's seen warranty coverage denied for less.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just thought this was useful information to pass along from a knowledgeable source that you may want to consider....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #5683
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Thats understandable for him to say that. Of course he would and so would anybody for any dealer or anyone who represents a company who's car wasn't rated for E85 would say the same. But yes I would agree its a potential warranty killer.

Thanks for sharing.

If I accidentally put diesel in my car and destroyed my engine, I am covered by my auto insurance. Oops.
Mike Miller does not represent BMW; he is the technical editor of Roundel Magazine; the BMW car club magazine and also Bimmer magazine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #5684
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Mike Miller does not represent BMW; he is the technical editor of Roundel Magazine; the BMW car club magazine and also Bimmer magazine.
I know, I guess I was just saying that anyone with a high profile job wouldn't risk their reputation to be in favor of something if that something isn't rated for that specific purpose.

Good info, thanks for reaching out, brought up a good point.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #5685
Tranic335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I understand it's two different platform and motor, but in the Evo world E-85 is considered Jesus Juice the link below is why. Just a lil FYI of the wonders of E-85.

http://evoempire.org/community/index...-motor-on-e85/

http://evoempire.org/community/index...-years-on-e85/
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #5686
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

I'm on my way to getting my mods together to run stage 2+. Got my catless DP's, and will be getting a FMIC soon. I might track the car a few times this year, in case it makes a difference to your answers.

1 - Was wondering, you guys running 2+, did you have to upgrade your charge pipe?

2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.

3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?

Last edited by Glowin; 07-10-2012 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #5687
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I'm on my way to getting my mods together to run stage 2+. Got my catless DP's, and will be getting a FMIC soon. I might track the car a few times this year, in case it makes a difference to your answers.

1 - Was wondering, you guys running 2+, did you have to upgrade your charge pipe?

2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.

3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?

is not necessary
they should hold fine with high boost, if they leak you can always get the forge.
Best would be a Mr. 5 or Helix style if you dont want to go DCI, Injen etc.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5688
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
they should hold fine with high boost, if they leak you can always get the forge.

Best would be a Mr. 5 or Helix style if you dont want to go DCI, Injen etc.
Ciao Enrita, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Couple more questions please:

1 - If my DV's do fail, then I assume I'll just get a code / go into limp mode? Is it ok to keep driving the car then, and stay off of boost? Maybe switch to stock map? Because if I have to go buy the Forge DV's then, it might take a week to get them in, for example.

2 - For the intake, if I haven't had time yet to make my stock airbox into a Helix style and I go to the track with just the K&N as the upgrade, what's the impact? Anything bad, like a possible limp mode? Or just that you can't make as much power as you'd be able to otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #5689
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:

1 - If my DV's do fail, then I assume I'll just get a code / go into limp mode? Is it ok to keep driving the car then, and stay off of boost? Maybe switch to stock map? Because if I have to go buy the Forge DV's then, it might take a week to get them in, for example.

2 - For the intake, if I haven't had time yet to make my stock airbox into a Helix style and I go to the track with just the K&N as the upgrade, what's the impact? Anything bad, like a possible limp mode? Or just that you can't make as much power as you'd be able to otherwise?
If the stock DVs leak then you'll get a 30FF code. Swapping back to the stock map should fix your problem until you get whatever parts you need(forge, helix, AWE etc)

A K&N filter should be all you need. Worst case scenario you just won't make as much power as you could. Keep an eye on WGDC just to be sure the turbos are working themselves too hard with the stock air box.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5690
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

The dvs just dont fail like that , there are people that have run stock dvs on 18 psi for years. if they start leaking you will get a limp sometimes and probably on high rpm full boost.
No issues with K&N only. on cobb site is not a requirement.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #5691
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thanks guys.

Just wanted to cover my bases, as with the DP's and FMIC, I'd be using the 2+ maps of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #5692
E92xiSS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Montego 335xi Coupe

just installed ams intercooler. trying out the stage 1+ . obviously the extra power is real nice but more noticeable lag. car just kicks around 2700-800 rpms. any one with this issue? i'll try out the linear map tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #5693
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92xiSS View Post
just installed ams intercooler. trying out the stage 1+ . obviously the extra power is real nice but more noticeable lag. car just kicks around 2700-800 rpms. any one with this issue? i'll try out the linear map tomorrow.
A little lag pre-3k is expected since you're still using the stock DPs but have increased the boost. Stage 2/Stg 2+ maps spool closer to low/mid 2k since the aftermarket DPs let the turbos spool up faster
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #5694
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Exclamation Please Review my logs - and proper boost values

Folks,
I've done a lot of reading but I still have little idea what I'm looking at. Can someone please review my log files and let me know if everything looks ok?

I'm stock except for Cobb 43k on car now- did a few runs today 2nd and third pulls - no room for fourth. I'm not sure what to look for, I saw boost values in the 16s on several logs, on the WOT logs (attached) there are values in the 17s and spikes unto 21 ! - is this ok?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cobb Logs 071012.zip (44.2 KB, 82 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #5695
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Are there plans for Cobb to release E85 over the counter maps?

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #5696
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Folks,
I've done a lot of reading but I still have little idea what I'm looking at. Can someone please review my log files and let me know if everything looks ok?

I'm stock except for Cobb 43k on car now- did a few runs today 2nd and third pulls - no room for fourth. I'm not sure what to look for, I saw boost values in the 16s on several logs, on the WOT logs (attached) there are values in the 17s and spikes unto 21 ! - is this ok?
logs look good considering your IAT is very high. the 21 psi is a boost spike during shift, nothing to worry about , is the sustained boost that counts.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #5697
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

What's average normal IAT values? Would changing oil/plugs/carbon cleaning help?
BTW - this is stage 1 aggressive on shell 93.
Does timing look ok?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #5698
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
What's average normal IAT values? Would changing oil/plugs/carbon cleaning help?
BTW - this is stage 1 aggressive on shell 93.
Does timing look ok?
There's isn't really a "normal" IAT value. IAT is Intake Air Temperature and it is determined by ambient temps, humidity, vehicle speed, engine load/power output etc..

There's not much that can be done to reduce IATs, an upgraded FMIC and Methanol is about it. Plugs, filters, oil etc aren't going to have any direct effect.

There's only one tming correction on the 1-2-3 gear pull so that's good. The timing itself is LOW, but that's almost certainly due to the HOT charge air temps.
Appreciate 0