E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod *NOT* in the armrest

11-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

iPod *NOT* in the armrest

Hi,

I am wondering whether someone has connected his iPod somewhere in the car so that it can actually be controlled, e.g. not put aside in the armrest. Maybe with a swivel arm attached to the windshield or something.

I know I can remote control it in the armrest using AirClick, but I still find this to be a very limited solution as you can't really select what to play or change settings (from shuffle to no shuffle for example).

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
I put mine on a Belkin device - pretty handy when driving and the sound is great. Old thread but I just found it... I'm so slow.
Attached Images

11-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

hmm. interesting. im happy just throwing it in between the console and the e-brake. its like right where my hand rests and it doesnt move. easy to fast fwd songs, which is the most often pushed button in the car since i dont have to control volume with the ipod..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Mikie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - All the packages -

I ran it through the armrest, under the center console and sent the wire through the back of the Ashtray.

I used the Belkin Ipod power/3.5 jack adapter plugged into the armrest aux port. Then I put the nano in the ashtray. Fits perfect and even lets me close it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
e90kid
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, Jaguar s-type R

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
2004 Jaguar s-type R  [0.00]
you should try the harman kardon drive and play... that what i have in my car and its great
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState
I have a 335i that I bought a around 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, I don't own an ipod but am getting one for christmas.

I did hook up a cheesey mp3 player through the armrest jack, but with that one, I had to use AAA batteries and there was no shuffle function. With the ipod, I was hoping to just plug into the aux lighter jack in the armrest and will be able to use the shuffle function.

Here's my concern. With the cheesey MP3 player, I would stop the car, remove the key, and the MP3 player would keep going. I would get back in the car and the battery would be dead.

With the ipod using the armrest hookup and the armrest lighter jack, will the ipod keep running and run down my car battery? Or will the lighter jack lose juice when the car is off and the key is out? Also, will the ipod start back up at the place where I left off? Lastly, who makes a good power cable or adapter for the car (other than Belkin)?
If you don't want to spend the $$ for the integrated iPod adapter you can....

Get an iPod car adapter from these guys http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

Get one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search (you only need a 2-3ft. really - just make sure you buy a STEREO cable)

Get an RF Remote from these guys http://www.abtech2.com/

Plug it into your center armrest console and use the remote to control the iPod. The charger keeps the iPod charged, provides line level audio to the aux port for best sound quality. When you shut off the car the iPod will pause when the power goes off (all power sockets require accessory mode except if you use the adapter for the flashlight socket inside the glove box) and then shutdown a short time later. The iPod will resume play where it was when you start playing again. The sound is great.

Drawbacks: iPod won't stop if you get a call on the BT, but the stereo will mute. When you restart the car you have to manually start play on the iPod. Playback display on the iPod only unless you get the remote with track info display.
      12-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
ok this is what I did I got a monster cable aux and I put it inide the arm rest and get the cable out of the handbrake it looks good and is a easy solution if you don't have to install the ipod interference now for the power cable get the iGO system is a power adapter with different heads and you can change them this way you only have one changer and the heads for the electronic ( see pic) I have one cable: one for the ipod, for my cellphone, PDA, PSD, GPS, mom cellphone, and blueth headset.

now if you have idrive this is the best solution beside the ipod interface http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...spagenameZWDVW
Attached Images

12-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
triton.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit

Garage List
2009 FIT  [2.00]
I'm still using a iRiver H100 20 GB player because it came with this remote. The wire is small enough that I can have just the remote out and the armrest down.

My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc
If you don't want to spend the $$ for the integrated iPod adapter you can....

Get an iPod car adapter from these guys http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

Get one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search (you only need a 2-3ft. really - just make sure you buy a STEREO cable)

Get an RF Remote from these guys http://www.abtech2.com/

Plug it into your center armrest console and use the remote to control the iPod. The charger keeps the iPod charged, provides line level audio to the aux port for best sound quality. When you shut off the car the iPod will pause when the power goes off (all power sockets require accessory mode except if you use the adapter for the flashlight socket inside the glove box) and then shutdown a short time later. The iPod will resume play where it was when you start playing again. The sound is great.

Drawbacks: iPod won't stop if you get a call on the BT, but the stereo will mute. When you restart the car you have to manually start play on the iPod. Playback display on the iPod only unless you get the remote with track info display.
The remote also uses the bottom of the ipod so it interferes with the use of the Monster iCarCharger.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon21db
The remote also uses the bottom of the ipod so it interferes with the use of the Monster iCarCharger.
When I was using the remote it was with a an iPod Mini and attached to the port on top near the headphone jack - the Mini didn't have the 30-pin docking port. There are several options now for the iJet line of remotes and all have a 30-pin passthrough so you can connect chargers such as the Monster iCar Charger along with the remote. Here's a repost from another thread.....

I suggest connecting to the AUX port using this http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132 along with a short mini-jack stereo cable to get the best sound quality from your iPod. This will connect the iPod to the AUX port at line level instead of using the headphone jack on the iPod.

I have the BMW MOST Adapter installed now. The remote I was using does not work with the Nano, but the same company has a new product for all iPod versions with the bottom 30 pin dock. The company site is http://abtech2.com/

I have visited the company's office (Carlsbad, CA) and looked at all of the products. They are all very nice. For the Nano, if you use the Monster Charger you can use any of three of their products since they all have the passthrough connector to plug in the Monster charger:

iJet for Nano: This provides a remote and an FM transmitter so you have the option of using it wirelessly, which you would not need to do with the Monster charger. $50 US

iJet Two Way Remote: This does not have an FM Transmitter but the remote has a display of Track & Playlist info. $99 US

iJet for iPod with Bottom Dock: A remote with no display. Draw back is the transmitter that connects to the iPod is much wider than the Nano (matches width of iPod w/Video) so it would be bulky. $36 US