E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Light Swirls - Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA

10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Light Swirls - Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA

Hi,

I've got a titanium silver E90 with paint that's in pretty good shape. However in bright sunlight, I can see some light swirls. I think the color hides them pretty well and it's not as brtual as it is with jet black.

I'm just wondering if Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA would have enough aggressiveness to take out some light swirls? I've got another silver car with a little heavier swirls and this product didn't seem to do much with those swirls. I only used a white pad, so maybe the pad wasn't aggressive enough. I've got some orange pads, so wanted to know if those that have used this product know whether the more aggressive pad will be able to take out some swirls on silver paint or am I using a product that's not aggressive enough even with an orange pad?

Is Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA more for enhancing gloss than really taking out swirls on light coloured paint?

The colour itself seems to hide some of the imperfections so am wondering if I need a more aggressive product and pad with this colour.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavfan View Post
Hi,

I've got a titanium silver E90 with paint that's in pretty good shape. However in bright sunlight, I can see some light swirls. I think the color hides them pretty well and it's not as brtual as it is with jet black.

I'm just wondering if Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA would have enough aggressiveness to take out some light swirls? I've got another silver car with a little heavier swirls and this product didn't seem to do much with those swirls. I only used a white pad, so maybe the pad wasn't aggressive enough. I've got some orange pads, so wanted to know if those that have used this product know whether the more aggressive pad will be able to take out some swirls on silver paint or am I using a product that's not aggressive enough even with an orange pad?

Is Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA more for enhancing gloss than really taking out swirls on light coloured paint?

The colour itself seems to hide some of the imperfections so am wondering if I need a more aggressive product and pad with this colour.

Thanks all.
You shouldn't pair 106 with an orange pad. An orange pad combined with something that has more correction such as 203 or more abbrasive would be better paired. I would suggest following that combo with 106 and a black pad. 106 will polish out holograms but won't do much for medium to heavy swirl marks.
      10-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankThomas View Post
You shouldn't pair 106 with an orange pad. An orange pad combined with something that has more correction such as 203 or more abbrasive would be better paired. I would suggest following that combo with 106 and a black pad. 106 will polish out holograms but won't do much for medium to heavy swirl marks.
+100 106 is more of a light one step for cleaning up sliggtly marred paint. If you have heavy swirls it's really not going to cut into those. I use 106 for re-seals at the mid year where I need to clean up the paint but do not want to correct much.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

That's a finishing polish. You're not going to correct anything besides bringing out a light polish. Do a 2 stage paint correction and you will be very happy
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Bavfan
Private
Rep

So would Menzerna PF PO 203 or Meguiars M105 or M205 do the trick with silver? Any suggestion for one over the other? Is the clearcoat of BMW 2007 3 series considered a hard finish?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000 (PO106FA Nano Polish) is a great polish for light swirls and oxidation. It's a very effective one step product that finishes down incredibly well. I've used it with great results as a one step product and I've combined with other more aggressive polishes too. If you want results closer to perfection the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and an orange pad is great to use first and then follow it up with the PO106FA and a black or white pad.

Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Bavfan
Private
Rep

Thanks Greg - would you say M205 is pretty close to PO106FA?

When looking at future products, in the detailing world, is BMW paint/clear coat considered a hard or soft surface or somewhere in between?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0