E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice On Rejecting a Car

04-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
AnthonyC
Rep
Drives: E90 320i SE Saloon

Advice On Rejecting a Car

Hi Guys,

Anyone on here have any advice on how I go about rejecting a car I purchased via the BMW approved used car scheme in mid Feb of this year.

The dealer I purchased the car from is adamant that all I am entitled to is a repair/investigation of the faults.

I'm sitting here whilst waiting for Assist to turn up and investigate the current engine management warning light.

Some of the issues I have with the car only manifest them self when it’s been raining/damp outside. Guess what it’s been sunny for the past week so they are not apparent.

I’m on my final sense of humor by pass now and want out of the car PDQ.

Also if it helps the car is part financed through BMW.

Any advice appreciated.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
You may have the problems being experienced in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyone on here have any advice on how I go about rejecting a car I purchased via the BMW approved used car scheme in mid Feb of this year.

The dealer I purchased the car from is adamant that all I am entitled to is a repair/investigation of the faults.

I'm sitting here whilst waiting for Assist to turn up and investigate the current engine management warning light.

Some of the issues I have with the car only manifest them self when it’s been raining/damp outside. Guess what it’s been sunny for the past week so they are not apparent.

I’m on my final sense of humor by pass now and want out of the car PDQ.

Also if it helps the car is part financed through BMW.

Any advice appreciated.

Anthony
There is a 'BMW approved used car commitment':

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/about...ts/0,,,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
"We are completely confident in the quality of our Approved Used BMWs. So much so, that if we are unable to resolve a demonstrable fault arising within the first 30 days/1000 miles of your ownership (whichever is sooner), you will be entitled to an exchange, or a refund if an appropriate exchange cannot be found**.

**This does not affect your statutory rights
This allows you to reject the car if they are unable to resolve the fault. However, it doesn't give a timescale.

I would write a letter to the dealer.

1. Refer to the commitment

2. Provide dates and mileage confirming that the demonstrable fault arose within the 30 days / 1000 miles.

3. State that the dealership has been unable to resolve the fault to date.

4. Give them notice that, if the fault is not resolved within a reasonable period (10 working days), you will require an immediate exchange or refund.

Should get their attention nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ZiL-41047

I'd also be interested in knowing who the original owner was. If it was privately owned (check the V5), give them a call. Should be able find their number easily enough. You may find it was previously rejected or even part exed as a way of escaping the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
There is a 'BMW approved used car commitment':

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/about...ts/0,,,00.html

This allows you to reject the car if they are unable to resolve the fault. However, it doesn't give a timescale.

I would write a letter to the dealer.

1. Refer to the commitment

2. Provide dates and mileage confirming that the demonstrable fault arose within the 30 days / 1000 miles.

3. State that the dealership has been unable to resolve the fault to date.

4. Give them notice that, if the fault is not resolved within a reasonable period (10 working days), you will require an immediate exchange or refund.

Should get their attention nicely.
Yep, but all they have to do is say you do not have a 'demonstrable fault' and you're scr5wed!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Yep, but all they have to do is say you do not have a 'demonstrable fault' and you're scr5wed!
True, but I'm guessing that BMW assist will have recorded the fault when they visited, which the original poster probably reported to the dealer within the prescribed period.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Address your letter to the MD of BMW UK - that always ensures your letter gets dealt with promptly.

Take a picture of the "engine management warning light" and record the date of the picture. I think that's a way of proving a "demonstrable fault"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Speak to BMW Customer services. If you make no progress with the initial contact, keep escalating.

I had similar problems with a vehicle I purchased earlier in the year. Initially, BMW CS were utter useless. Once I had escalated and the issue received focus, the BMW CS Management team were very helpful and the issue was resolved to my satisfaction with a replacement vehicle.

Good Luck. From my experience, there are some folks at BMW CS who care about customer satisfaction and brand image, but many that don't. Just need to find the right people :-)
Appreciate 0