E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Washer jet cover missing

01-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #23
EDDIEG
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M SPORT

Lost my washer covers two weeks ago. Very miffed as washer fluid had been put in at BMW dealers by BMW (Syntner) technicians, when I bought it and not needed topping up since.

I took car in to my local dealer to claim under warranty (23-1-10). They tried to charge me £20 for the privalage of telling me I had two ugly holes in my bumper and BMW wouldn't do it under warranty. {After a bit of moaning they agreed to credit my money}. Disgusted, I rang BMW UK who were very helpful and told me that the dealers had already been told (on 22-1-10) to replace them "as a goodwill gesture" as BMW had made a mistake (???), and been caught out by cold weather. Surely other BMW markets (Canada, Scandanavia etc) get colder weather than us winging poms?

When I telephoned the dealer to get it booked in they admitted BMW UK had already told them this and I should not have been messed about during my visit. My car is now booked in but replacement parts will take at least 3 weeks and there are a waiting list as long as your arm.

Apparently each dealer has to claim each case individually and it may be case that they can't be arsed. Also be careful they don't try to get money out of you for an "assessment", mine tried to get me to in for a second time (another £20 for doing sod all).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
mwalimu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318DSE

Good news at last. BMW have offered to repair the damaged headlight washer system free of charge as a gesture of goodwill. That is a welcome move.

The next step will be to improve the design of the system and to enhance the notes in the owner's manual to warn about the possibility of this happening. Good work BMW on this case.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Update

My dealer didn't get back to me about the goodwill claim so I chased them today after just over a week and they have now confirmed BMW will do it free of charge.

Interesting to read above that they should have known about the status of this being goodwill 7 days (22 Jan) before I went in in the first place.

Perhaps they were just innocently wondering if I'd give in, stump up and pay.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #26
Hoffers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Seems there are a lot of posts on this subject, guess I am a bit lucky as I found my car after a cold spell with the washer covers and plastic jets just popped off, what Id like to know if anyone has done it is how to snap them back in....Do you have to activate the jets and then push down, can you just push them back in from the rest position, do you have to remove the jet first pop that back on then fit the cover......I dont want to break it now I have them loose.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think i've been lucky, both my covers were sitting proud of my bumper with the big freeze, washer bottle was frozen so unable to defrost it and put in the 'bmw' anti freeze I bought (car doesnt get used that often espesh not in this weather) but both caps once thawed out are now sitting where they should be once again, i'm just not convinced I wont lose them when i operate the washer system, will need to do this before I move it just incase!
      01-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #28
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffers View Post
Seems there are a lot of posts on this subject, guess I am a bit lucky as I found my car after a cold spell with the washer covers and plastic jets just popped off, what Id like to know if anyone has done it is how to snap them back in....Do you have to activate the jets and then push down, can you just push them back in from the rest position, do you have to remove the jet first pop that back on then fit the cover......I dont want to break it now I have them loose.
I don't know either, going to have a look at mine today......will let you know
      01-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #29
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Arrow

I've just got the covers (item 3) and I retrieved a short (50mm) bit of rubber pipe from the nozzle when I noticed the cover missing. Hope I don't need a whole new nozzle.....

01-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
I've just got the covers (item 3) and I retrieved a short (50mm) bit of rubber pipe from the nozzle when I noticed the cover missing. Hope I don't need a whole new nozzle.....

Dr Dave,

I think that's the E46 diagram - that came up when I last used realoem for an E90 - its a mistake I think in the catalogue.

Should add that my replaced washers popped up again (only had water in washers, stupidly) - some proper screenwash now in, and they are back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #31
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Arrow

This is probably what you will be faced with when you realise something is amiss...

And by pulling the shaft of the washer nozzle itself out, with needle nosed pliers.....

and comparing it to the other (good) side....it is evident the fucking jet has gone too.

To be honest I'm not sure it is worth the expense and hassle of stripping off the front of the car etc and replacing the complete nozzle.......I'm tempted to pull the fuse, paint the cover and secure it into place with a tie of some sorts.
      01-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #32
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is probably what you will be faced with when you realise something amiss

To be honest I'm not sure it is worth the expense and hassle of stripping off the front of the car etc and replacing the complete nozzle.......I'm tempted to pull the fuse, paint the cover and secure it into place with a tie of some sorts.
Dave - mind was like that last year - my dealer replaced it for free. Have you asked? Don't tolerate any 'must have screenwash' balls - mine didn't and they didn't mention anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #33
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah but on an '06 car with 60k? I can't see anything forthcoming to be honest.
      01-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #34
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The gutting thing is, that in many bodyshops around the country, there will be the one little bit (jet) I want, lying on the floor, waiting to be put in the skip! FFS!!!!!
      01-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #35
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but on an '06 car with 60k? I can't see anything forthcoming to be honest.
Last Jan when I had it done for free my car was 65k 06 plate, so well out of warranty. Worth a try as it's BMW GB goodwill, not the dealer (who of course were initially after £200, and they knew it could be free for me - cheeky monkeys!).

The 'must have BMW screenwash in' is I'm sure an excuse - as had it had screenwash in they wouldn't have popped out! Doh! The fact it was done for free is a partial admission that it's unreasonable to expect you always to use screenwash, and bits should not fall off your 45k car as a result!

Last edited by F31-340i; 01-01-2011 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #36
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi,

I recently had the same problem, the car did have screenwash but I still lost both washers and covers.

Local dealer initially wanted £100 to repair both (didn't sound quite right) but relented and they were fixed under goodwill.

Bits shouldn't fall off cars, especially not "premium" brand cars. Imagine one of those things falling off the car in-front on the motorway and whacking your windscreen at speed. BMW should recall the cars, in the meantime they should pay for the repairs imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #37
Mitch74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Coupe (E92)

Headlamp Washer Covers/Nozzles

I have just had both of mine pop completely off (Covers & Nozzle Body still connected).

Fortunately my car was stationary at the time. I had just tried to use my Screen wash/wipe and as it was so cold it instantly froze on the windscreen (I know I should be using decent washer fluid!). When I got out to scrape the ice away I noticed both Headlamp Washer Covers with Nozzles on the floor.

My question is, there was also to lengths of spongy rubber hose (about 60mm long) on the floor (1 at each corner)

Does anybody know what the hell they are, where they go etc? See photo.

I'm wondering whether the previous owner had had the same problem and attempted a rough fix by jamming the Nozzle Body into the telescopic washer body using the pipes?

Any offers?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #38
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That bit of hose seems to slide inside the telescopic bit that pokes out - that's where mine was anyway.

Just pop it all back in and see if it works.
      01-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

That's me joined the list as well now after mine falling off today.

The nozzle and cover have fallen off during a long drive.

It has been mild the last few days so no chance of being frozen.

Are BMW likely to replace under warranty/goodwill on a 08 plate with 30k miles?

Last edited by Kerr; 01-21-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #40
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I took the fuse out of the headlight washers for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #41
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
I took the fuse out of the headlight washers for the winter.
Bloody good idea too. Wish I'd done that now.
      01-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #42
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Bloody good idea too. Wish I'd done that now.
Did you get no joy from the dealer for your jets Dr Dave?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #43
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch74 View Post
My question is, there was also to lengths of spongy rubber hose (about 60mm long) on the floor (1 at each corner)

Does anybody know what the hell they are, where they go etc? See photo.
Both of mine are off, one completely and one has let a rubber tube just like that inside the hole in the bumper. I'd say it's perfectly normal, must cover the plastic washer assembly and the other end go into the tube from the fluid tank.
      01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #44
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It has been mild the last few days so no chance of being frozen.

Are BMW likely to replace under warranty/goodwill on a 08 plate with 30k miles?
Had exactly the same thing happen. First dealer I tried wanted to book me in for 3 weeks' time and 'have a look', so I binned that and phoned the next dealer who immediately agreed to replace under warranty and ordered them in (UK have no stock left, unsurprisingly...). You should be fine.