E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Not enough Air flow after BMS Dual Cone install 335i

12-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #23
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
No, these people that dispute results of a dci.
I don't dispute that the DCI works just fine, particularly in a top level horsepower application.

The point is it's fundamentally bad engineering to send air that is hotter than necessary to the turbo.

I'll admit it's a lot of work to do a Mr 5 intake cleanly and correctly.

A proper off the shelf cold air intake is expensive.

Any fool can slap a DCI on their lightly modded N54 DD and get a real neato intake sound without doing shit for performance and actually diminishing it in some conditions and potentially straining components (turbos) .

The potential for heat to contribute to wear is obvious. For anyone saying it's just a couple of degrees doesn't understand the dynamic.

BMWs are well engineered cars. I'd like to keep mine that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveDriver View Post
I don't dispute that the DCI works just fine, particularly in a top level horsepower application.

The point is it's fundamentally bad engineering to send air that is hotter than necessary to the turbo.

Any fool can slap a DCI on their lightly modded N54 DD and get a real neato intake sound without doing shit for performance and actually diminishing it in some conditions and potentially straining components (turbos) .

The potential for heat to contribute to wear is obvious. For anyone saying it's just a couple of degrees doesn't understand the dynamic.

Could you explain the dynamic for those that don't know?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Could you explain the dynamic for those that don't know?
Shhhh.. you clearly don't understand how detrimental a difference of 20*F ambient temperatures are in Thermodynamics/Thermofluids.

He doesn't understand that everything approaches the same ambient temperature as time goes along.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #26
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

intercooler. the part even describes what it does.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #27
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Volumetric flow is more important for the intake manifold than ambient temperatures in a turbocharger environment. All I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #28
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

still prefer my stock OEM box. had DCI sound got annoying, in the summer the stock box felt better and yes I'm tuned.

This weekend will be prepping the OEM box to the hybrid helix style intake. best of both worlds and better.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

DCI is not a perfect intake. It just has more throughput then stock which is a "quick fix" to getting the power lost from the restriction of the stock intake.

If you want a perfect intake there are those available by purchase or DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #30
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I just installed my DCI last night with no issues, maybe your clamps are not tight enough, or the inlets are not properly seated. I would try and see if you have any leaks around the inlets using soap and water! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #31
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveDriver View Post

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993

I mean lets not get crazy and think that actual results of testing on this platform are incorrect.

If you understood anything about turbo cars, you would understand that more air >>>>> colder air AT THE AIR INTAKE.

These results dont account for the bump in power you can get from tuning for more airflow, but they do show that the AITs are more affected by the intercooler than actual intake. 400+/- CFM x 2 turbos is a lot of air flowing. So much so that the air doesnt really have time to heat up enough at the AIR INTAKE to make any kind of difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #32
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993

I mean lets not get crazy and think that actual results of testing on this platform are incorrect.

If you understood anything about turbo cars, you would understand that more air >>>>> colder air AT THE AIR INTAKE.

These results dont account for the bump in power you can get from tuning for more airflow, but they do show that the AITs are more affected by the intercooler than actual intake. 400+/- CFM x 2 turbos is a lot of air flowing. So much so that the air doesnt really have time to heat up enough at the AIR INTAKE to make any kind of difference.
Actually it depends on how much more air vs how much colder. More and colder is always better. The air in the engine bay is warmer than the air entering from the front of the car. The temperature of the air entering turbos will get compounded and small differences pre turbo become large differences post turbo.

The test you refer to has more factors involved than what the tester understands. Restrictions will end up heating air when the turbos need to suck it hard. So already a drop-in filter would have had different results. Even better if the airbox is of a better design with straight routing for the air to travel.

Last edited by jippii ensio; 12-23-2016 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0