E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > B***** post office / DVLA

04-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
B***** post office / DVLA

Between them they've lost our registration document, MOT etc. (sent to them to transfer private registration to new car when it arrives in a few weeks). It has taken them two weeks to process the initial forms, after which I understand we need to do more stuff. The dealers used to sort all this with a visit to a local DVLA office, even my father in law's honda garage sort it for him but advised him that BMW dealerships (and obviously mine) have stopped doing this.

What happens now if my car arrives and paperwork isn't sorted ?!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Ouch!

If the paperwork isn't through then the dealer can't register it, can't tax it and so can't let you drive it away

I almost got into a similar situation as the 1st cover note didn't appear. It was only by luck that I finally got a cover note on the 1st Sept, dropped it at the dealer as soon as they opened and picked up the car in the afternoon.

I'd have been well upset if it hadn't arrived, all insured and ready to go, but without that last vital bit of paper.

Hope things get resolved quickly and don't hold things up.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
The dealers used to sort all this with a visit to a local DVLA office, even my father in law's honda garage sort it for him but advised him that BMW dealerships (and obviously mine) have stopped doing this.

What happens now if my car arrives and paperwork isn't sorted ?!
My dealer certainly did all this for me. I found the whole thing a bit of a nightmare - filling in and signing certain bits of the V5 document, and signing other bits for the reg. transfer etc. etc.

I'm sure you will get it sorted - would a visit in person to your local DVLA office help?
      04-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Thanks guys.

Matt - can't he just register it without the private plate and we transfer later? Agreed he can't sell mine with the personal reg on but that seems unlikely in a hurry as they have to service it/inspect it etc. etc. and how many just walk out the door the day they come in.

Z4 - might do, although it sounds like that would now have to be Swansea (where the registration documents come from) and the local office (where the tax disc and MOT get sorted out). In fact, we don't know that the registration document is lost yet as that comes separately and doesn't come until the other bits were sent so that may well turn up. They are also sending a form to claim new ones for the tax/MOT which they can apparently turn round quite quickly.

Not sure what the next step is after you get all that back - I think you then have to do a separate excercise of "assigning" the reg to the new car or something...not sure.

Still haven't heard back from my dealer anyway so car might not even be on time
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
The dealer certainly should be able to get a new reg for the car without any problems. Even three and a half years ago when I got the E46 they did that over the Internet (so no more choosing the reg you wanted from their allocation). Then given a cover note for the appropriate reg the dealer can tax the car themselves, no post office or anything required.

It may be because you're transferring the reg that things are more complicated

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0