E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > Function Rear Diffuser by Andy M

04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Function Rear Diffuser by Andy M

This project started back in 2011 with the ambition to make a full functional diffuser. Unfortunately I found that getting wind tunnel time for my car was going to be a BIT pricey. So instead I decided to design it with less emphasis on the downforce aspect but rather channelizing the air in the back of the vehicle instead of having the air trapped inside the rear bumper cavity.

After a lot of work and input from local BMW enthusiasts here in Toronto, I finally came up with a design and brought it to production. I realized that even though I may have improved the airflow of my car slightly, the byproduct was a diffuser that looked really good and made the BMW's look a lot more aggressive while still maintaining the classiness of the BMW badge.

MATERIAL:
7075-T6 Aluminum and Carbon Fiber

INSTALLATION TIME: ~2 to 5 mins. This diffuser is designed to be used on the existing bolt holes at the bumper so NO DRILLING is required.

FITMENT:
(updated as of 06-08-2013)
Confirmed fitments:

ALL E90's (323, 325, 328, 330, 335) for pre-LCI and LCI models with and without mtech
ALL 335 configurations (E90, E92, E93)

This includes mtech and non-mtech. In fact the "mtech version" will probably even work on the "non-mtech" but it might look funny. However if you've got something modified on an E90 or 335, it may look better with the mtech version. The fins are adjustable so it can adapt to different cosmetic mods.

DOES NOT fit: 1 series, F30, E92 328, E93 328

The E92 328 has a different configuration from the rest. So it's a little weird. Of course, if you're ok with drilling holes in the bumper then it probably will work.

F30 is an easy transition so expect that to come out soon.

COST: $295.00 for Carbon Fiber, $175.00 for Aluminum only

Ships from Toronto, Canada.

PICTURES:

The FIRST production batch of diffusers consist of 10 carbon fiber versions (designed for m-tech bumpers), and 5 aluminum-only versions (designed for non-mtech). Obviously the first production version is mounted on my car so now we only have 9 CF versions and 5 aluminum versions left.

I'm offering 10% off the regular price to anyone who is willing to let me do a test fit on their vehicle here in the GTA as well as waiving the shipping costs (obviously).

Edit: more photos of installed on customer cars

E90 335 LCI non-mtech (CF version)

Same car but with the aluminum version (different fin style)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1371000538

Last edited by Andy M; 06-17-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Hmmm... I'm looking for a diffuser...
      05-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Nice meeting you at today's meet. Subscribed.
      05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

disclaimer: I'm not trying to be an a$$, I'm genuinely interested and intrigued. I'm also an engineer (mech eng in the auto industry) who has a few questions so I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here

First, why? The reason most 'diffusers' on todays cars are cosmetic is because a real one isn't necessary for the target demographic or function of the car. If you are tracking your car, do you have a problem with high-speed grip that you require more downforce for stability? On track, are you even achieving speeds where it will operate? I get that it is cool, and we all want something functional, but do you need it and are you going to truly notice the improvement?

How will you know it works (besides the 'butt-dyno' ), do you have sim data (Fluent, StarCCM, CosmosWorks?) to evaluate and tune the design? The only true way is to plan a day at a wind tunnel to prove that it actually works (especially if you plan to sell it)

For full effectiveness, you shouldn't just add the diffuser at the rear. You should incorporate it with the whole aero design: beginning from the front of the car, then having an entirely smooth undertray to avoid stagnation, then entering the diffuser.

Will you even have enough space to build this in the rear? Are you planning to build it underneath the muffler cans? A potential idea, perhaps use the exhaust to 'feed' the diffuser?

Again, I'm genuinely interested! I think just a couple legitimate questions, please don't take this the wrong way!

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage9 View Post
disclaimer: I'm not trying to be an a$$, I'm genuinely interested and intrigued. I'm also an engineer (mech eng in the auto industry) who has a few questions so I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here

First, why? The reason most 'diffusers' on todays cars are cosmetic is because a real one isn't necessary for the target demographic or function of the car. If you are tracking your car, do you have a problem with high-speed grip that you require more downforce for stability? On track, are you even achieving speeds where it will operate? I get that it is cool, and we all want something functional, but do you need it and are you going to truly notice the improvement?

How will you know it works (besides the 'butt-dyno' ), do you have sim data (Fluent, StarCCM, CosmosWorks?) to evaluate and tune the design? The only true way is to plan a day at a wind tunnel to prove that it actually works (especially if you plan to sell it)

For full effectiveness, you shouldn't just add the diffuser at the rear. You should incorporate it with the whole aero design: beginning from the front of the car, then having an entirely smooth undertray to avoid stagnation, then entering the diffuser.

Will you even have enough space to build this in the rear? Are you planning to build it underneath the muffler cans? A potential idea, perhaps use the exhaust to 'feed' the diffuser?

Again, I'm genuinely interested! I think just a couple legitimate questions, please don't take this the wrong way!
Thanks for the questions. I don't mind the critique, I'm a bridge engineer by trade (hydraulics) so I'm applying what I know about that kind of flow for automotive applications. So I welcome as much critique as possible.

In terms of why, I plan on going Dinan Stage 3 on my car and tracking it eventually. I call it my "work in progress" (i.e. hobby). For normal driving, I doubt there will be anything noticible. At high speeds like 100+ kmph, there should be a noticible difference. Plus I'm more of a person who likes to buy things for functional values, not just cosmetics: the engineering spirit right?

I should have enough room. I already printed out some 1:1 paper templates from my CAD model to test for fitment and to figure out my bolt spacings. At the moment I'm putting two fins to the left and right of the muffler cans, and one fin in between. The one fin is shorter so it terminates right before the muffler can. (On the 335, I have two muffler cans so that's 6 fins total). I'm considering adding two more fins in just to make up for the shorter fin by the muffler cans. The fins towards the center will be the largest and deepest. I had trouble getting the fitment right but this will actually go right between the muffler cans and there will be room for it.

I was actually looking into doing a full smooth undertray. However, that might be a later stage (however, not that much later to be honest...it will help with corrosion issues of the underbody too since there will be no more exposed steel). For that it'll take much longer to do plus if I'm just using the bolts that are holding together the body pieces, it might not be strong enough (it'll be a cantelever structure essentially...technically it'll have to be bolted together from multiple panels but this will be tough to do). I'm already leaving room in my existing diffuser design for that and thinking about how I can do this and still make the car servicable by BMW (BMW Toronto techs would hate me if they had to do an oil change on that...will probably need some sort of removable panels for them to do oil changes with). The only issues I have is with the muffler. I might have to find some sort of venting method so that I don't create a void space of really hot air. Still figuring out that. It might not be something I can mass produce though since I might have to drill connection holes myself on the spot to make it fit.

In terms of testing various designs, there's not much theoretical calculation I can go with in terms of what design works best. Even with the best simulations, there are too many factors that will cause errors in the calculation. I simply don't have access to the detailed CAD drawings that BMW has. The best method is going out and testing it. By that I mean wind tunnel testing.

Of course...that's pretty tough to do right now. Fortunately, in my experience, we don't build full size models to test. With bridges, we like to build scale models and adjust various coefficients and factors to account for scale. In my case, I'm using a 1:18 E90 scale model. Comparing the scaled dimensions with the drawings from the BMW brochure (I used the PDF and imported them into CAD to do a 1:10 drawing for design and manufacturing), the scaled dimensions are pretty much dead on. And yes, I plan on finding a wind tunnel to test the full sized version just for fun even if I don't sell it. You might be able to help me here? Know of any wind tunnels in the GTA?

Last edited by Andy M; 05-01-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

When I worked at Honda, we used to go to Detroit for wind tunnel testing as there wasn't anything around local. However, since then there is a brand new one that opened up at UOIT that I've read about.

But the cost is like $1000/hr !

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage9 View Post
When I worked at Honda, we used to go to Detroit for wind tunnel testing as there wasn't anything around local. However, since then there is a brand new one that opened up at UOIT that I've read about.

But the cost is like $1000/hr !
That's what I read too.

The option I'm considering is just getting the underside of the car laser-scanned (buying a laser scanning unit would be cheaper than the wind tunnel) and then doing a theoretical model based on that.

To be honest, I don't think there's much I can do other than track the car without the additions and then afterwards and see if I notice any difference with the handling. In all honesty, I think a lot of the companies that produce racing parts for Ferrari's, Camaro's, etc don't actually go and wind tunnel test their products either. It's just based off a theoretical design and then put in a simulator.

...then again if you think about it, every building you occupy and every bridge you drive over was designed on a computer in a theoretical setting. The only test whether it works or not is whether the structure stands or not...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

RWDI in Guelph has a full sized wind tunnel. They were the only ones with one before the University got one as well. My firm has dealt with them in the past, and I have been to their facility. Pretty cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Just an update, the first prototype is completed for the rear diffuser. The material and workmanship turned out quite well, however I need to do some design changes. Just had dental surgery so things are going a bit slow for me (note to all, don't get your wisdom teeth out when you're in your late 20's...it's not exactly fun. Also, try not to wake up during the surgery either...)

I realized that to make this work on other 3 series models, it's a very simple design change.

Renders to come soon once I get my design changes done, one of them is a major cosmetic design change. Photos to come soon once my second (and final) prototype is made and mounted!

Still trying to come up with ideas on testing the function of it...wind tunnel would be cool but might cost me way more $$$ than it's worth. Might just see if anyone is interested in buying it as a cosmetic mod to be honest (and yes admins, I'll get a sponsor account).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

cant wait to see your design.......subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Well one thought I had was to make some sort of rear diffuser + cosmetic part. This will have a CF part onto the back so it gives non-M-tech owners like me something nicer on the back without having to break the bank for a new bumper. To be honest, that's the majority of this redesign, the others were very very minor.

(It's just a little hard to do CAD3D while on Tylenol 3...)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Andy M
Canada
Rep

As promised, a render superimposed on an 335 E90 LCI.

Finished the final design and drafting last night and sent for fabrication now.

Parts consist of a carbon fiber lip, 5052-H32 aluminum, and it uses the existing bolt holes under the car for attachment (CF piece will have to use existing bolt holes and double-sided 3M tape).

I'll probably post some more updates later. Updates usually go through my Twitter account first though (@andrewdmah).

I'm considering also building some more aero parts since I've really gotten the hang of this 3D CAD. Everything's done in 3D first and then I use that to make my fabrication drawings. I'll post some screenshots of the work in progress as well as some photos of the first prototype later too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy M; 07-19-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Nice.. that's what a real diffuser should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Thanks. It's been a while in the making and lots of ignoring my fiancee in the evenings (she's so understanding about it though! She's so awesome).

Btw, can one of the mods PM me about details on how to become a vendor? After going through the whole production of this, I'm really considering making more of these things or even doing custom aero design work as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Thanks. It's been a while in the making and lots of ignoring my fiancee in the evenings (she's so understanding about it though! She's so awesome).

Btw, can one of the mods PM me about details on how to become a vendor? After going through the whole production of this, I'm really considering making more of these things or even doing custom aero design work as well.
Anything for a E36 M3? Could possibly be a test car? I run the car in the casc and mosport bmw club events as a instructor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
Anything for a E36 M3? Could possibly be a test car? I run the car in the casc and mosport bmw club events as a instructor.

I'll discuss this with you over PM. Don't want to look like I'm trying to push a sale or something until I can figure out how to get vendor status.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
dulak
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

Andy, this was exactly what I was looking for. PM me with more details on your project, I would definitely be interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

nice work, looks great and could be even better if it's truly functional. anything for e92 mtech rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #19
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Subscribed. LCI m-sport, very interested to see how this turns out. What's your guesstimate on cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Nice work Andy! Like it so far
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

some e92 love would be nice
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
some e92 love would be nice
No worries, he is working on an E92 version as well.
Appreciate 0