E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Frustrated with iDrive Directions

09-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
RonRed89
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi CPE

Frustrated with iDrive Directions

I'm sure that this may have been beaten to death before, but I have to rant a little bit.

Have there been any updates to the iDrive specifically around the Nav module (not the map data, but the logic of selecting a route). I am baffled that a 50K car can make some of the most silly navigation suggestions that I have ever seen.

I live in Cleveland, OH and when traveling from the east side of the city to the west side of the city, I am frequently routed through city streets when there are highways that easily get you to the destination in FAR less time.

I understand, don't trust your Navi for everything. No, I don't have "Avoid Highways" checked. It simply amazes me that a 5 year old Garmin with 5 year old maps gives better directions than a 2009 iDrive system. Forget about the other features of the garmin or the iDrive. Those are all fine, but how can this thing be so ineffective at giving directions. :-)

I don't blame the map data here since the actual end point is 99% correct. In that, once you get to the end point, you are in fact at the destination that you wanted to go to. It's simply the routes (and all of their alternate variants) that are a joke at least in Cleveland.

Is there anything I can do besides carry my 5 year old Garmin device in the car with me? :-)

Rony
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

have you checked your settings...ie short route, fast route, efficient route?
      09-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
RonRed89
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
have you checked your settings...ie short route, fast route, efficient route?
Yep and even the alternates that are highlighted in different colors underneath them on the display.

Rony
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I noticed the same routing issues with the old iDrive as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
RonRed89
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I noticed the same routing issues with the old iDrive as well...
That's a surprise given that the older units were using Navteq data which is the same that Garmin uses and obviously Garmin is much better in my experience.

Do you (in the old iDrive) see streets listed multiple times like this

"Name of Street" "City 1"
"Same street as above" "City 2"
"Same street as above" "City 3"

This is another annoyance that makes it very difficult to enter addresses. Thank god for google maps to BMW Assist. :-)

Rony
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRed89 View Post
That's a surprise given that the older units were using Navteq data which is the same that Garmin uses and obviously Garmin is much better in my experience.

Do you (in the old iDrive) see streets listed multiple times like this

"Name of Street" "City 1"
"Same street as above" "City 2"
"Same street as above" "City 3"

This is another annoyance that makes it very difficult to enter addresses. Thank god for google maps to BMW Assist. :-)

Rony
No, I don't see that type of format. What I noticed is that the addresses are too linked to zip codes/city, so if your street belongs to a particular zip code/city and the address that you are entering have listed a different zip code/city then the iDrive will have some issues determining which one it is... if it actually finds that address once entered.

The routing is also kind of stupid sometimes, as it lists exits in the highway that are not used instead of just showing the single exit to take. That piss me off too many times as I don't want to know any other exit but the one that I should take.

The new OEM VW Nav system is great in both respects, as addresses are more dynamically linked to zip codes/cities and the highway exits to be taken are the only ones shown when you are at a certain distance to them, and include a specific lane -and highlighted- to be at.
Appreciate 0