E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Brand new car, just looking for the shine

08-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
rcarlson
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Coupe

Brand new car, just looking for the shine

Hi all,

I apologize if this has already been covered ... I wasn't sure how exactly to search for the info I'm looking for. I did some browsing through the first few pages of posts, but didn't find it.

Basically, I have a brand new car (see sig), only a week old, and I want to wash it and get a glassy shine. I figure since it's only a week old, I don't have to worry about abrasive polishing or claying, since it shouldn't have any swirls or serious contaminants, right?

In other words, to get the glassy shine that I see so many of your cars have, can I just hand wash the car, then use a mild polish? If so, any recommendations on which to use? I read the excellent FAQ thread in this forum ... should I use the Klasse AIO for this purpose? What about stuff I can find at Autozone or Walmart? (I saw Mothers FX or NXT recommended in another thread ... would those be good choices for me?)

Thanks very much for any tips!

2007 328xi E92 · Titanium Silver · Gray Dakota · Gray Poplar · Steptronic · Comfort Access · Bluetooth · Photos
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

theres a really good sticky on this just read it and it'll give you all the answers to all your questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

This is what I suggest.

Wash (any high lubricity soap you want, e.g. Meguiar's Gold Class, sold at autozone, walmart, target, etc.)
Clay (AutoMagic Clay, sold at autozone) Yes, even new cars need clay, although mind didn't that much.
Poli-Seal (sold online at Autogeek.net) It's a mild polish/protectant
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (sold online Autogeek.net or locally at West Marine and other boating places) It's a Carnauba liquid wax

Use microfiber towels to dry, foam applicators for wax and polish.

I kid you not, your paint will feel like butter after your done. The beading will make a grown man cry, also. Collinite is super durable and will hold up in the winter months well.

Or you could just jump on the bandwagon and do the whole Zaino thing. It's up to you. You'll get similiar results either way. This way is much easier IMO, but then again I haven't done the Zaino thing yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Klasse AIO followed by Klasse SG will really bring out the brilliance in the paint. You may need to polish, though, and ideally you would aquire a Porter Cable idiot proof dual action polisher to do this. Go to Autopia.org and go through the educational material. Keep in mind that with silver you will never get the depth of darker colors, but then again you do not see the paint defects either. I love silver.
Attached Images

09-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41760
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
JLL325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlson View Post
Hi all,

I apologize if this has already been covered ... I wasn't sure how exactly to search for the info I'm looking for. I did some browsing through the first few pages of posts, but didn't find it.

Basically, I have a brand new car (see sig), only a week old, and I want to wash it and get a glassy shine. I figure since it's only a week old, I don't have to worry about abrasive polishing or claying, since it shouldn't have any swirls or serious contaminants, right?

In other words, to get the glassy shine that I see so many of your cars have, can I just hand wash the car, then use a mild polish? If so, any recommendations on which to use? I read the excellent FAQ thread in this forum ... should I use the Klasse AIO for this purpose? What about stuff I can find at Autozone or Walmart? (I saw Mothers FX or NXT recommended in another thread ... would those be good choices for me?)

Thanks very much for any tips!
With the orange peel paint you won't get shine, you'll get shimmer...
I like P21s
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

yeah I'd def take a good hard look at that thread by picus....really good stuff.

I just did a full bang detail a few weeks ago. I wish I would have done something like this when I first took delivery.
Attached Images

10-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
RCW
Rep
Drives: 07 328i coupe

All cars need to be clayed (even new ones- lots of rail dust from train transport from the factory to the ship). The end result is awesome and the sealing or waxing adheres better. I've heard the plus and minus of zaino and I use griots products. No problems and a beautiful shine.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

You shouldnt need a polish on a brand new car.

here is my $.02

Definitely clay!
Klasse AIO ( stuff is awesome in my opinion)
Zaino Z5 then Z2 , then spray with Z8.

If you have silver you can probably just go straight to Z2
Appreciate 0