E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 Buying advice - 320i M-Sport

01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
Rob318
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
OMG im 25 now. i bought it when i was 23!!

if you can only think of 3 possibilities then you clearly lack imagination to come out with something better??

Maybe you could accuse me robbing the bank?? a drug dealer? or maybe both. Actually I'm a benefit fraud and everything i have is paid by your pockets =]
Thought so....

But which of the 3 was it?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #90
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob318 View Post
He didn't once ask specifically about the reliability of the 320i. The first mention of that was fom someone else.

He asked for general things to look out for....
ok i am sorry i misunderstood that part!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #91
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thought so....

But which of the 3 was it?
i don't think i need to tell you anything but i can say it's none of them.

don't get upset dear!!it was a good try!!

Last edited by AlanYoro35i; 01-29-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #92
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
i don't think i need to tell you anything but i can say it's none of them.

don't get upset dear!!it was a good try!!
Haha, just figured you've taken the 08 out from the what you drive section!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #93
Rob318
Private First Class
Rep

If you'd robbed a bank, drug money etc, surely you'd have bought a new one..... Hence my original assessment.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #94
Rob318
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S114HED View Post
Haha, just figured you've taken the 08 out from the what you drive section!
He has as well. Nice spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #95
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Can we now stop talking about how people have bought their cars, and instead have a constructive thread please? A BM is a BM end of. Some are more powerful some are more economical. Who cares what people drive as long it is a BM!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #96
Geo's comps
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d Msport + coupe

At the end of the day it's down to many things his driving style etc i own a 320i Msport because its ok on fuel it's cheap on insurance for me to build up relevant no claims and it looks the absolute nuts compared to most cars on the road also it still holds good value even after buying it .. Buying a m3 at my age is possible but do I want to have a premium in terms of daily running cost .. No.. So that's why I got 320i my dream car is a m3 or m5 however I know I will get there one day I'm just working my way up slowly

It's down to circumstances I've been privilege at my age to own two bmw so far
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #97
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo's comps View Post
At the end of the day it's down to many things his driving style etc i own a 320i Msport because its ok on fuel it's cheap on insurance for me to build up relevant no claims and it looks the absolute nuts compared to most cars on the road also it still holds good value even after buying it .. Buying a m3 at my age is possible but do I want to have a premium in terms of daily running cost .. No.. So that's why I got 320i my dream car is a m3 or m5 however I know I will get there one day I'm just working my way up slowly

It's down to circumstances I've been privilege at my age to own two bmw so far

Well said geo
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #98
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
He has as well. Nice spot.
????? my sig still says MY08?

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #99
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you'd robbed a bank, drug money etc, surely you'd have bought a new one..... Hence my original assessment.
tut tut tut , you think any dealer will take a suitcase full of cash to let you buy a car nowadays? maybe i am just a small fly and earn not too much!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #100
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

This poor chap wants to buy a 320i. Our job is not to discourage or suggest other models, but to help him by giving advice and guidance so that he buys the best car he can for his hard earned money.

The car he has found is a nice spec at a fair price being sold by the original owner with low mileage. Thus it should be a good car. I would suggest having a lengthy chat with the owner taking down notes. Then agree a price. Then go down and see the car. If it checks out buy it. If the description and chat has missed something haggle further. If in doubt don't buy and look for another car.

Forums are generally populated by enthusiasts, persons with an axe to grind due to having a poor experience or prospective purchasers. 90% of happy owners will not be on here. Please take doom and gloom advice with a pinch of salt.

Out of interest I bought my first BMW at 19. It was a 1985 635csi which I still own today. Insurance in 1999 was not like it is today.

Good luck fella
      01-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #101
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
This poor chap wants to buy a 320i. Our job is not to discourage or suggest other models, but to help him by giving advice and guidance so that he buys the best car he can for his hard earned money.

The car he has found is a nice spec at a fair price being sold by the original owner with low mileage. Thus it should be a good car. I would suggest having a lengthy chat with the owner taking down notes. Then agree a price. Then go down and see the car. If it checks out buy it. If the description and chat has missed something haggle further. If in doubt don't buy and look for another car.

Forums are generally populated by enthusiasts, persons with an axe to grind due to having a poor experience or prospective purchasers. 90% of happy owners will not be on here. Please take doom and gloom advice with a pinch of salt.

Out of interest I bought my first BMW at 19. It was a 1985 635csi which I still own today. Insurance in 1999 was not like it is today.

Good luck fella
One day, I shall also own a CSI..

Post up some pics matey, that must be eye candy!!
      01-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #102
Paul DLF
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320i

E92 320i problems

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and would appreciate any help/advice regarding my E92 320i. I've read a lot about the engine issues in the forum and so I was hoping that you may be able to give me some advice.

On 12th December 2012 I purchased a 2009 320i highline coupe with efficient dynamics from a BMW Main Dealer. It was a very clean one owner car with full history and only 14,000 miles. From day one it has been sluggish, juddery and averaging only 34mpg. I should say that I bought the car over the internet from a dealer many miles away. On 7th January I contacted the supplying dealer to detail the problems and they suggested I took it to my local BMW dealer. The local dealer booked it in but would not do a warranty repair because it required a software update and de nox which apparently should have been done by the supplying dealer. I am in the process of arranging for this to be done.

So my question is after the denox and software update, what warranty work should I expect to be done to fix the problem please? Is it just coil packs or is it likely to need injectors too? Also is there any way of knowing whether the poor running would have adversely affected the catalytic converter? Lastly, I'm presuming that once these fixes have been done it's likely to be OK for the long term?

Other than the engine issues, it's a lovely car and I just want to make sure it's fixed properly while I still have plenty of BMW Approved Used Car warranty left!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #103
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
One day, I shall also own a CSI..

Post up some pics matey, that must be eye candy!!
If you have seen Wheeler Dealers where they feature the six series my car is the blue one and you will also know what i look like. It's off the road at the moment but will get some pics when i get it back MOT's etc.

J
      01-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #104
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

jeez this topic got way out of hand!

ok so here is my input!

as mentioned previously my mate was looking at a 320i vert

on Sunday we was in loughborough and veiwed a 320i m sport vert and i did the test drive, the transmission was auto and in normal Drive mode it was pretty sluggish, push it to the left and go semi auto and it shifted quite nicely!

so the drive aspect of it was nice, nothing wrong with it mate BUT i cant vouch for its reliability! and to be fair i think that it is hit and miss! you will get problems with just about any car these days whether 4 or 6 pot!

on monday i found another car for my mate, a 325i m sport vert and test drove that! you can immediately tell the difference from the sound of the engine and the power delivery! granted not the quickest car to get but a lovely drive and puts a smile on your face when you put your foot down!

what i am trying to say is that having driven both cars! they are both very good choices! at the end of the day it is still a BMW you are buying

go with what you can afford to run/insure and if you have a problem! there are plenty of Indi's that can be recommended for you to see to get it fixed!

your young (only a couple of years younger than me) and have the rest of your life to get a 6 cylinder engine so just do whats best for you now mate!

hope that helps!
      01-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #105
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Wow, this thread went a bit off track, lol!

At your age a 320i will be fine as it will be more than quick enough and the looks will be more important than how quick it is anyway. Yes the 320i engine has a few known issues so if you can stretch to a 325i it might be better. They'll be the same price to buy and not much more to insure.

My only other question would be, does the smaller engined 320i carry a premium over the bigger engined cars? I'm not really current on 320i coupe prices but I've seen similar spec bigger engined one's for cheaper. £14k just seems like a lot of money to pay for a 320i to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #106
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

with the two verts i went to see, the 325i was £150 more than the 320i...so it didnt make much sense to go for the 320i

S114HED
best thing to do is go on autotrader and find a 320i and 325i you like, get the number plate from the pics and go on something like confused.com to get a rough idea as to how much they will both cost to insure! that way you can compare and see which one works out better financially to you!
      01-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #107
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post

At your age a 320i will be fine as it will be more than quick enough and the My only other question would be, does the smaller engined 320i carry a premium over the bigger engined cars? I'm not really current on 320i coupe prices but I've seen similar spec bigger engined one's for cheaper. £14k just seems like a lot of money to pay for a 320i to me.
Well I havent found another 59 plate 320i M Sport with 25k on the clock for cheaper.

Granted there are older models with higher mileage, but its still practically a brand new car.

I was going to haggle and the most I'm willing to pay is £13.5k.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #108
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
jeez this topic got way out of hand!

ok so here is my input!

as mentioned previously my mate was looking at a 320i vert

on Sunday we was in loughborough and veiwed a 320i m sport vert and i did the test drive, the transmission was auto and in normal Drive mode it was pretty sluggish, push it to the left and go semi auto and it shifted quite nicely!

so the drive aspect of it was nice, nothing wrong with it mate BUT i cant vouch for its reliability! and to be fair i think that it is hit and miss! you will get problems with just about any car these days whether 4 or 6 pot!

on monday i found another car for my mate, a 325i m sport vert and test drove that! you can immediately tell the difference from the sound of the engine and the power delivery! granted not the quickest car to get but a lovely drive and puts a smile on your face when you put your foot down!

what i am trying to say is that having driven both cars! they are both very good choices! at the end of the day it is still a BMW you are buying

go with what you can afford to run/insure and if you have a problem! there are plenty of Indi's that can be recommended for you to see to get it fixed!

your young (only a couple of years younger than me) and have the rest of your life to get a 6 cylinder engine so just do whats best for you now mate!

hope that helps!
My first intention was to get a 325i but due to me having 6 points, its not viable. Also I did get a BMW warranty quote for around £500 for the year, so if I do purchase it, I'll make sure to get it covered, as its normal warranty only ran out in Sep 2012. Any tips on common points to haggle on?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #109
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

as its from a private seller mate there is not much that can be bargained with apart from the price!

just check overall condition! tyres etc the usual stuff and make him an offer!! dont be scared to make and offer and walk away if you still think its too much! its a buyers market so give it a try
      01-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #110
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
as its from a private seller mate there is not much that can be bargained with apart from the price!

just check overall condition! tyres etc the usual stuff and make him an offer!! dont be scared to make and offer and walk away if you still think its too much! its a buyers market so give it a try
Okay, well after several valuations the mean average price was £12,500 which is my first offer and then work my way up to £13,500. I do know that the front tyre has a nail in it and both rear tyres are wearing more on the inside, which is an alignment problem. Will also say to chuck in a warranty or pay towards the cost of it. Anything else?
Appreciate 0