E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Hesitation at low revs, turbo whine possibly also

08-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #1
mammoo6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 335d SE Coupe Autovogue

Hesitation at low revs, turbo whine possibly also

Hiya guys ??

Still got issues but I'm just looking for a wee bit of guidance before I go ahead and replace the small turbo

Had a turbo whine for a wee while now, low revs and wasn't that loud.
Had the turbo inspected and they said the large turbo was fine however was coated in oil at both end housings. The small turbo was also coated but also showed signs of bearings and piston bored polished as well as the internal casing of the turbo.

They said the turbo was fine and didn't warrant replacement however the oil could indicate an issue with the breather.
The breather was replaced just before the turbo was sent away so I don't think this is an issue (it could have caused the original problem tho)

Now I am getting a whine which is pretty loud from low revs, but also when stationary. The car is running fine but on occasion it is hesitant at low revs and then jumps (feels like when the large turbo maybe kicks in) but worryingly when this happens I usually get a large cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

The dpfs been removed as well as an egr delete.

A few online searches and the symptoms are indicating the small turbo is the issue but I want to check before I go and get it replaced

Any ideas? Or does anybody have the same issue and can shed any light...

Cheers guys
Matthew
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
mammoo6
Private First Class
Rep

More information in regards to the turbo.

Took it into a turbo repair garage today, guy seemed to know what he was talking about but thought I would ask on here...

He's said the turbos definitely whining, but there must be an underlying issue with the car for this to have happened.

Done a few checks and then opened the oil filter cap with the engine on... Started to see a steady flow of smoke/steam and then he done the same at the oil level test point and this was doing the same.

I had just come off of a 20mile journey to the garage so I thought it may be possible that it's just the heat/condensation but he's said that this kind of proplem is due to piston rings been worn?? Any advice...

He then went on to say that he would replace my turbo if I wanted be it there would be no warranty as the fault is there... So instead of taking my money, he said to come back when this problem was fixed... Made me kinda believe him more as he could have just fitted it and took my cash.

Does this sound correct guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

All engines will chuff gas out the breather if you pull the oil cap off when its running. Its called blowby, and it pretty normal. Ofcourse it might be particularly bad, but without seeing it its hard to say. Is it a particularly high mileage engine?

If there are visible signs of the turbo intake having been scored by the wheel, then the turbo is gubbed and needs fixed. Keep driving it and the turbo will eventually blow up, which isnt very nice, and also runs the risk of damaging the other turbo and/or the engine when it lets go. Fix it now while its in one piece, and by that i mean immediately, not in a weeks time after driving it back and forwards to work.

As for what caused it, all turbos eventually fail. Certain things can help them along the way such as boost leaks (which causes them to spin faster trying to make up the leak) or blocked/broken engine breathers as the turbo guy has suggested. Given the 335d has a known weak spot for leaks with its red boost hose, i'd certainly be getting that checked/replaced at the same time. These engines do have a breather cartridge thing that can become blocked, so its worthwhile getting this changed when the turbos getting done.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
mammoo6
Private First Class
Rep

I know the turbo needs replaced so that will definitely be getting fixed... I just don't want to jump in and replace it when there's an underlying issue.

I went out tonight when the car had been off and allowed time to cool... Smoke is still coming out from start up but there's a loud rattle when I take the cap off... Put it back on and it sounds fine

Have a look and see what you think

Cheers
Matthew
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
mammoo6
Private First Class
Rep

Just read online there supposedly this is normal for a 330d, 335d, 530d and 535d of this age... But surely the smoke coming out the cap and dipstick is an issue
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Yeah scary but it looks like all the others including the 2 Ive had. The scary clanking that sound like a follower has dropped off is the vac pump. Im sure you wont be the first to ask try it on google
Appreciate 0