E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > suspension damage ?

04-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
beemer2
Rep
Drives: 330D Touring, Titanium Silver

suspension damage ?

Really thumped into a pothole on a main road at about 70 today. The car really jolted. I cannot see any damage to the wheel or tyre but i am worried about the strength of the suspension components as they are alluminium.

Has anyone had experience of this with any failures or problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Hello there,

I have found the components to be stronger than I anticipated. I hit a pothole at 50kms/h so hard I damaged the side wall of one tire and the entire car shuddered with a clang sound which intially made me sure I lost the tire, the wheel and the suspension.

I only lost the tire. The suspension held up, no leaks. I recently changed my mags for the summer tire/mags and had the opportunity to check out my front suspension fully extended. The lower strut mount is not perfectly a circle. I don't know whether this is damage from my misshap since I hit with only one side of my car and both struts are not a perfect circle. The shock had absolutely no sign of liquid leak and the suspension works fine, so I am not worried.

Chances are if you have no tire damage you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
beemer2
Rep

Thanks for that bimmerista. The noise was so bad that i really thought i had damaged something. My Road Angel on the dash jumped off its mount. It seems to drive OK with no pulling, hopefully i have gat away with it
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Thanks for that bimmerista. The noise was so bad that i really thought i had damaged something. My Road Angel on the dash jumped off its mount. It seems to drive OK with no pulling, hopefully i have gat away with it
Sorry if I sound stupid, but......
What's a Road Angel?
      04-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I did the same thing and was concerned about the suspension. What's a good way to check it?

I pulled over afterwards and checked the wheel/tire. Both were fine, and the pressure in the tire was fine, but I clearly remember hearing a hissing sound when I put my ear to the wheel area.

The tire never lost any pressure, so is there anything else that can hiss after you hit a pothole?

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 XI

a snake...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
beemer2
Rep

Hi ChiTown, see you are from the states.

Here in the good old UK the government think we will be safer on the roads with speed cameras . They are sutch a PITA that a company called Blackspot - www.blackspot.com has invented the Road Angel. It is a GPS based device which holds the locations of these so called safety cameras and gives off an audible warning as you approach the location. Very clever & very necessary if you want to hold on to your licence .

Drive safe Beemer
Appreciate 0