E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod Out

01-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17'F15,11'E90,07'E92,96'E36,20

iPod Out

Just picked up the 11'MY (10/11 build) 335i xDrive 6MT a couple of weeks ago. The smart phone integration never worked out of the box so it's being repaired. Has anyone with the 6FL (iPod/USB), 6NF (smart phone integration), 6NR (BMW Apps), and 609 (Nav) been able to get the plugin function iPod Out to work using an iPhone 4 with the media snap in (84212218390)? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
n e x u s
Introducing to BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: xXx

My media snap-in work with iphone 4 and 6NR option. Make sure you have the lastest iOS 5 on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

iPod/Phone Plug-In

When you say iPod out, do you mean the plug-in kicks in and displays the same interface as your iPod/Phone?

If so, yes, it works for me, with the same set-up you have outlined, for both an iPhone 4 and and iPhone 4s, with the latest iOS 5, as well as the previous iOS 4.

Once you're squared away, be sure to DL the BMW Connected app; listen to the Ministry of Sound from the UK over Web radio plus read your calendar – awesome!

Add Pandora – what's not to like!

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I tried it once at the dealer to make sure it worked (it did) and then never thought about it again. Then when I tried it again it wasn't working, though I suspect it has something to do with the rear view camera I'd installed in the meantime since it messes with some harnesses. I haven't bothered to test by disconnecting the camera to confirm because even if the camera is the culprit, I'd rather have the camera than iPod Out or video playback.

Honestly it's cool as a gimmick but video playback only works while stopped and iDrive's iPod navigation is so good that iPod Out is totally unnecessary unless you really like Genius Mixes, especially considering the cost of the cradle. I do really like the Pandora function though, but that works over USB anyway, and actually since trying Bluetooth audio streaming I haven't even used that because I'm too lazy to connect my iPhone anymore. So in the end the cradle is only ever used on the rare occasion that both my wife and I are in the car and we both need to charge our phones.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
When you say iPod out, do you mean the plug-in kicks in and displays the same interface as your iPod/Phone?

If so, yes, it works for me, with the same set-up you have outlined, for both an iPhone 4 and and iPhone 4s, with the latest iOS 5, as well as the previous iOS 4.

Once you're squared away, be sure to DL the BMW Connected app; listen to the Ministry of Sound from the UK over Web radio plus read your calendar – awesome!

Add Pandora – what's not to like!
Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. Do you like the Apple interface as oppose to the BMW interface to control iPod functions? I have the older iPod interface and the newer pre combox, neither one I liked all that much.
I already have iOS 5 with the BMW connected app. I could get the apps to work on USB 1 but not USB 2 (cradle). Hope it all works with the replaced combox.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. Do you like the Apple interface as oppose to the BMW interface to control iPod functions? I have the older iPod interface and the newer pre combox, neither one I liked all that much.
I already have iOS 5 with the BMW connected app. I could get the apps to work on USB 1 but not USB 2 (cradle). Hope it all works with the replaced combox.
I don't like Apple's interface as much as BMW's because it's slower to navigate and things like Entertainment Info split screen take longer to update -- plus I think there's less info, but I don't remember that for certain. I was actually really impressed with the iPod interface native to iDrive (mine is 2011.75 if it matters), but to each his own.

All BMW Apps functionality (including the apps themselves) will work via USB, EXCEPT video playback and iPod Out. Everything else should be just fine as long as you have factory option 6NR.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Update – Ok the dealer replaced the combox, tested with an iPhone 4 and said charging and Pandora works through the media cradle (USB2), so off to the dealership to pickup the car. I plugged my iPhone 4 iOS 5.01 into the cradle ---- nothing. After multiple tries it finally recognized it to charge but nothing else. After messing with it for an hour I finally got it to work. The plug-in worked with iPod-out, BMW connected app, and Pandora but only a couple of times. After awhile Pandora and BMW apps stop working. Now the plug-in works intermittently as does the charger. Bottom-line cradle only works maybe 1% of the time. USB1 works as advertised, BMW apps and Pandora connects within 10secs or less. Guess its back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
marcopolo25
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
Update – Ok the dealer replaced the combox, tested with an iPhone 4 and said charging and Pandora works through the media cradle (USB2), so off to the dealership to pickup the car. I plugged my iPhone 4 iOS 5.01 into the cradle ---- nothing. After multiple tries it finally recognized it to charge but nothing else. After messing with it for an hour I finally got it to work. The plug-in worked with iPod-out, BMW connected app, and Pandora but only a couple of times. After awhile Pandora and BMW apps stop working. Now the plug-in works intermittently as does the charger. Bottom-line cradle only works maybe 1% of the time. USB1 works as advertised, BMW apps and Pandora connects within 10secs or less. Guess its back to the dealer.
I am having this same exact problem. I am on my third cradle. It works once and then intermittently. It's a crapshoot every time. Have you found a solution yet? My dealer doesn't know what to do and I have been keeping a log of what I do each time (from car on or not before connection to clipping phone into cradle after idrive loads to all sorts of things.), but no rhyme or reason I can tell. I even restore to completely stock phone. No luck.

I would appreciate any insight you may have.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo25 View Post
I am having this same exact problem. I am on my third cradle. It works once and then intermittently. It's a crapshoot every time. Have you found a solution yet? My dealer doesn't know what to do and I have been keeping a log of what I do each time (from car on or not before connection to clipping phone into cradle after idrive loads to all sorts of things.), but no rhyme or reason I can tell. I even restore to completely stock phone. No luck.

I would appreciate any insight you may have.
Finally fixed, BMW NA has a different cradle for the iPhone 4. They sent the dealer a modified engineering unit for my car, no part number yet. Now it all works as designed. :thump: Have your service guy contact BMW NA in New Jersey.

The original media cradle worked in 3 different cars (11' e90, 11' B7 and a 12' F30) just not in my car, go figure. There seem to be a compatibility problem between the cradle and the base plate electronics that causes it to be intermittent. The best I could figure out was the media cradle controls the connection for the USB because when I ohm out the cradle there was no direct connections for pin 25 and 27 (USB data) on the iPhone connector to the USB bullet connectors on the cradle. The USB bullet connectors on the base plate are direct connect to the combox though. When I swap USB1 for USB2 I could get the USB connector in the console to work on USB2 just fine. So everything points back to the compatibility problem between the base plate electronics and cradle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
marcopolo25
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

yikes, thanks. I actually contacted BMW NA Wednesday of this week. Got an email and call from someone there yesterday. They said that they were talking to engineering to see what they think. I have a feeling that they are going to do for me what they did for you. How hard would it have been to have connectors for each of the 30 pins apple uses? Seems like someone fell asleep on the job there.

It figures it is something to do with the connectors, especially when I will have it working and then it stops and the not valid accessory message pops up. Hopefully BMW gets me right soon, so I can actually enjoy the part. Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0