E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Raced a Jeep SRT8 uphill at 4500 ft. from 0-100.

04-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #177
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3 View Post
Maybe mom will post next.
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical, but "dad" seems to write much differently...like he's actually got a degree. Maybe his son should spend a little less time racing cars in his $40k GC SRT-8 and a little more time hitting the books. But hey, like I said b4...not my problem.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #178
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSrt-8 View Post
I am glad you find this funny all i am trying to do is right the wrong doing's of that nuckle headed son of mine.
Agreed...we appreciate it. This Internet thing...it can get A LOT of ppl in trouble.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #179
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Why are sons such knuckle heads? I have a 17 year old too with a CRF himself. I aint going to let him drive any Bimmer or Porsche of mine though.
He got a 96 Dodge pickup with 70K miles. and he has to pay me for it.
I work at China Lake by the way and have been to Edwards pleny of times on JSF.

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #180
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSrt-8 View Post
What can you expect he is only a sophmore so I would not think his grammar and puncTuation would be perfect. And yes I know it is somewhat irresponsible of me to give him such a car but I can honestley tell you he can out drive my 37 year old neighbor down the street that had a 540i. This kid can drive for only being 16 years old again this is all in my opinion. All I can say is that it makes sense because when i was 17 years old I had an 11 second tempest along with various fast vehicles were always in my driveway when i was a kid. It just makes me feel good that i am able to provide the same for him although it probably is not very smart(the ex wife hates it )
I'm sure he can drive well; as long as he's safe...that's all that really matters. One thing you should know though...it appears from his previous posts that he might not fully appreciate what you've provided him (e.g. the name calling, etc. on this BMW Forum). Yes, some kids are handed a lot when they're young and some work hard (in school and work) to acquire things, but either way, ppl should know the value of money and the value of life. That's my only sermon today. Good luck to you and your family.

btw -- I take back all the bad stuff I said b4 (when your son was posting), not knowing the real situation until now.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #181
SoCalSrt-8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 GCSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I'm sure he can drive well; as long as he's safe...that's all that really matters. One thing you should know though...it appears from his previous posts that he might not fully appreciate what you've provided him (e.g. the name calling, etc. on this BMW Forum). Yes, some kids are handed a lot when they're young and some work hard to acquire things, but either way, ppl should know the value of money and the value of life. That's my only sermon today. Good luck to you and your family.

btw -- I take back all the bad stuff I said b4 (when your son was posting), not knowing the real situation until now.
Thank you and i will be deleting all of this previous meaningless posts
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #182
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

And I thought everyone knows the weight is the evil in performance cars. I have yet to see a Jeep to run Nordschleife under 8 min 30 sec.

Jeep is better than 3-series off-road, not on-road. However, SRT8 is lacking far from Range Rover off-road capabilities.

It makes no sense to compare Grand Cherokee to e90/e92.

I don't get what is the purpose of starting with an off-road vehicle, then trying to make it perform well on road. Some of the disadvantages will still remain after all the modifications. At the same time the off-road capabilities are ruined. SRT-8 is probably the best example of this, but the same can be said about X3 and X5. I'm not saying it does not make sense, rather that personally I don't get what's the reason for the success of all those X3 etc. There seems to be a market for that, so it makes sense to build those.

SRT8 is cheap and the engine is great, a worthy competitor in its "poor off-roaders" -category. Not stopped by a slight snowfall.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #183
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

Quote:
I'm sure he can drive well; as long as he's safe...that's all that really matters. One thing you should know though...it appears from his previous posts that he might not fully appreciate what you've provided him (e.g. the name calling, etc. on this BMW Forum). Yes, some kids are handed a lot when they're young and some work hard (in school and work) to acquire things, but either way, ppl should know the value of money and the value of life.
+100. its no suprise when kids that age come onto this forum and act like that. i had a couple acquaitances like that in college and they were all handed everything in life. their parents do this to them, alot of time without knowing how.

coming from an old, wisdom filled 24 year old here.
      04-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #184
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

BNJ- I can tell you why people buy X3s and X5s- at least why I did. I have to go to the mountains and it snows-alot. The road crews keep a good eye on things and the roads stay clear but not what I would call 2wd safe. I have had- to haul the family-a 90 4runner-then a 93 Landcruiser then a 04 chevy 4WD 2500 diesel. NONE of these was fun to drive. I did my fair share of extreme off roading in the Landcruiser but I did not find it that fun- so off to the diesel for more space and towing power. But then I didnt use all that capablility. As Porsche has surmised people take thier AWD cars off road less and less. Not to mention we have every green weenie in California closing more and more trails to vehicles every day. So why not build a AWD (not 4WD) vehicle that will haul the kids and stuff and give you some stability in the snow while having enough towing capacity to take a car to the track.
I noticed yesterday coming home from Mammoth that the roads coming down hill at 65mph that used to give me white knuckles at 65 mhp in the Landcrusier were a pure joy in the X5 4.8is@75-80-so hence that market.
Now I agree that 315s in the back and 275 Damaris arent the best off road tire or even winter tires but in the summer (which seems as though its already started here) they are great. next winter I will buy a winter set of tires and rims for the heavy stuff (snow) but this is the most fun I have ever had while taking kids luggage dogs and food up to the cabin. I was going to buy a Cayenne (the 06's can be had for 15 K off sticker right now while the 08's are hitting the lots) as I am a Porsche guy but I just cant get past the looks.

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #185
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Is this for real??
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #186
HoustonSRT-8
Registered
Rep
Drives: GC SRT-8, 850 T5-R, Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post

Is this for real??
Yes, apparently so. I feel that since we get the chance to watch your thread, you should have the chance to watch ours.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3591
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #187
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

/end fread
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #188
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSRT-8 View Post
Yes, apparently so. I feel that since we get the chance to watch your thread, you should have the chance to watch ours.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3591

amazing how calm things can be when people dont 'get bored'.
      04-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #189
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRedPlz View Post
amazing how calm things can be when people dont 'get bored'.
Yeah, funny b/c when I'm "bored," I come here, not other car enthusiast forums.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #190
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yeah, funny b/c when I'm "bored," I come here, not other car enthusiast forums.
Funny you mention that. With all this srt8 buzz, I ended up going to the 300c srt8 forums and now I've been pming back and forth with a couple guys about who wanted to know about mods prices/possibilities on the 335i. One of them was telling me how impressed he was about his gas mileage bening 12-13 around town, until I told him what ours get. Our car really is such a great all around performer, geez with chip and turbback we'll be putting out 115-120 whp per liter while getting 20/29. It's an amazing car. I think it's the first "future proof" car I've ever purchased. Meaning, nothing has/or will be coming out in the next couple years that blow it away like usual. Procede buys you a couple years, and a turboback will buy a couple more.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #191
bnj
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulGT3 View Post
BNJ- I can tell you why people buy X3s and X5s- at least why I did. I have to go to the mountains and it snows-alot. The road crews keep a good eye on things and the roads stay clear but not what I would call 2wd safe. I have had- to haul the family-a 90 4runner-then a 93 Landcruiser then a 04 chevy 4WD 2500 diesel. NONE of these was fun to drive. I did my fair share of extreme off roading in the Landcruiser but I did not find it that fun- so off to the diesel for more space and towing power. But then I didnt use all that capablility. As Porsche has surmised people take thier AWD cars off road less and less. Not to mention we have every green weenie in California closing more and more trails to vehicles every day. So why not build a AWD (not 4WD) vehicle that will haul the kids and stuff and give you some stability in the snow while having enough towing capacity to take a car to the track.
I noticed yesterday coming home from Mammoth that the roads coming down hill at 65mph that used to give me white knuckles at 65 mhp in the Landcrusier were a pure joy in the X5 4.8is@75-80-so hence that market.
Now I agree that 315s in the back and 275 Damaris arent the best off road tire or even winter tires but in the summer (which seems as though its already started here) they are great. next winter I will buy a winter set of tires and rims for the heavy stuff (snow) but this is the most fun I have ever had while taking kids luggage dogs and food up to the cabin. I was going to buy a Cayenne (the 06's can be had for 15 K off sticker right now while the 08's are hitting the lots) as I am a Porsche guy but I just cant get past the looks.
I have AWD car myself and agree on the benefits on having the all-weather traction. Why not 530xd sedan or touring? Both have more space than X5, lower center of gravity for driving fast in dry tarmac, and having been driving 530xd sedan in Bmw winter driving school, I can say that it's just awesome in snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #192
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Funny you mention that. With all this srt8 buzz, I ended up going to the 300c srt8 forums and now I've been pming back and forth with a couple guys about who wanted to know about mods prices/possibilities on the 335i. One of them was telling me how impressed he was about his gas mileage bening 12-13 around town, until I told him what ours get. Our car really is such a great all around performer, geez with chip and turbback we'll be putting out 115-120 whp per liter while getting 20/29. It's an amazing car. I think it's the first "future proof" car I've ever purchased. Meaning, nothing has/or will be coming out in the next couple years that blow it away like usual. Procede buys you a couple years, and a turboback will buy a couple more.
Absolutely!! Look at the incoming M3, for example. It may handle better or be a bit faster, but it will be similar to the PROcede or Turbo Tuner 335 i. It won't blow it away.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #193
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
Absolutely!! Look at the incoming M3, for example. It may handle better or be a bit faster, but it will be similar to the PROcede or Turbo Tuner 335 i. It won't blow it away.
Yeah, I wonder if "launch control" on v2.0 PROcede (Shiv's already been talking about it) will really help a PROcede-equipped 335i get better launches and consequently better 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times. Or, will the LSD and amazing new 420HP V8 on the upcoming '08 M3 just be the cat's meow.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #194
bnj
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder if "launch control" on v2.0 PROcede (Shiv's already been talking about it) will really help a PROcede-equipped 335i get better launches and consequently better 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times. Or, will the LSD and amazing new 420HP V8 on the upcoming '08 M3 just be the cat's meow.
M3 will have double clutch technology. It makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #195
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
M3 will have double clutch technology. It makes the difference.
Oh yeah...forgot about that; great improvement over the SMG tranny.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #196
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh yeah...forgot about that; great improvement over the SMG tranny.
The M3 will probably a limited rpm LC too, which sucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #197
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
So this is the same srt8 in the charger. That's crazey. I have to give it too the muscle american cars. They are good in straight lines. Maybe the 335i could still have a chance of wopping an srt8 on a track.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #198
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The SRT8 sedan can't even beat a Lexus is350
And we all know the 335i is faster than the Is350. Surely the slower jeep version won't keep up with the BMW.