E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - SQUEAKS AND RATTLES E90 330Xi *Rear folding seats. Another Fix

11-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Cygnusx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sedan

Garage List
1976 280Z  [10.00]
1972 Datsun 240Z  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
DIY - SQUEAKS AND RATTLES E90 330Xi *Rear folding seats. Another Fix

I thought I had the common rear deck squeak/rattle, but after some inspection by banging the rear seat backs around, I found the culprits.

Part 1:

1) If you have the fold down rear seats you know that they can make noises. Fold down both sides.

2) Remove the seatback corners that are just below the C pillars. Grab them near the top and pull forwards with about 20 pounds of force. They will release up top, and then pull them straight up to get them out completely.

3) There is a white plastic retainer that is snapped into the steel body. Remove the retainers from the body by pressing down the release tabs inside the retainers. (one on each side of the car).

4) Coat them with a light coat of synthetic grease in and out. I would not use a petroleum product because it may harm the plastic.

5) Snap the retainers back into the seat back corners, not the body.

6) Apply some grease to the plastic mating pins on the bottom of the seatback corners.

7) Reinstall the seatback corners. Lower pins in first, look behind them and align the plastic retainers with the holes in the body and give them a firm push back into position. They snap in easily. Note: Make sure the seat belts are not caught back there before you snap them in place.

Part Two:

1)With the rear seats folded down, squirt some WD-40 at the seatback hinges on either sides of the car, and at the center hinge as well.

2)Grab the seat backs and force them left to right and swing them up and down a few times, to let the WD-40 work into the hinges.

3)Spray WD-40 at the Steel Hooks on the back of the seatbacks. Most of the squeaking was coming from the actual Hook built into the seatback! (you can actually push hard on the hook and hear it squeaking, which is how I located it.) Make sure to get some lube down into where the hook goes into the fabric.

4) Put the seats back up, wash your hands, and go for a test drive!

Good luck.
-Dave

Straight-Six Addict - Dave

Last edited by Cygnusx1; 11-23-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
gxe2se37.50
      11-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
325xi-06
manifold conversion 325/330
Faroe Islands
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06

thanks man i'm gonna try this out tomorrow mine squeaks as hell...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
dalpert
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

sqeaaks & rattles

Great info, 20 minute job at most. Problem fixed! Thanks for the post
Appreciate 0