E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track build thread?

02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's OPPOSITE of what a neutral car should do. A neutral car would push (what many would call understeer) with more throttle and tug (most mistaken with oversteer) with less. Something is seriously wrong with either your setup or your driving.
If he's not cornering at the limit (or what he thinks is the limit), then throttle-induced oversteer and lift-throttle "understeer" could be what he's observing. Because when he's lifting, his rear still has plenty of traction (not at the limit). When he's oversteering its wheelspin/throttle induced.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
If he's not cornering at the limit (or what he thinks is the limit), then throttle-induced oversteer and lift-throttle "understeer" could be what he's observing. Because when he's lifting, his rear still has plenty of traction (not at the limit). When he's oversteering its wheelspin/throttle induced.

Just my .02
There's no such thing as lift-throttle understeer. You can not induce understeer by lifting off of throttle, period. Go ahead. Try it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
If he's not cornering at the limit (or what he thinks is the limit), then throttle-induced oversteer and lift-throttle "understeer" could be what he's observing.
well, if he's not cornering at the limit, then why even bother upgrading the car to handle higher cornering limits? :P

...and this thread has just been HACKED, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
There's no such thing as lift-throttle understeer. You can not induce understeer by lifting off of throttle, period. Go ahead. Try it.
I have to agree. Whenever you lift you just slow down, lol. Maybe you are thinking that when slidding if you lift then the car somewhat shifts neutral (not understeer). This tactic is bad news, especially around turn 9 in big willow, haha. Sorry, off topic.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
That's OPPOSITE of what a neutral car should do. A neutral car would push (what many would call understeer) with more throttle and tug (most mistaken with oversteer) with less. Something is seriously wrong with either your setup or your driving.

Here comes some worthless opinion on my part.

A build requires IDENTIFYING what is the weak point of a chassis and fixing and addressing those weak point accordingly. Throwing parts at it willy-nilly may actually exacerbate the weak point of the chassis.

In my opinion, the E9X chassis is so advanced that 90% of the issues can be resolved without touching the chassis. The BIGGEST weak point of the E9X, and 335i by extension, is the COOLING SYSTEM. If you can't address that first, fixing everything else is meaningless. By making the chassis faster, you're only exacerbating the cooling issues inherent in multiple part of the chassis.

So any talk of a build without 1) upgrading cooling for the engine and 2) upgrading cooling for the brakes and 3) upgrading heat capacity of the tires will ultimately result in a car that will be LESS drivable compared to stock. Frankly, if what you're saying is true, that you have not had any cooling issues at track (unless, of course, it's a straight track you're talking about, i.e. 1/4 mile), then the problem with your chassis, and the BIGGEST weak point of the car, is with the DRIVER.

Again. IMO. If you don't fix those weak points first, "building" out the chassis is meaningless.
sorry yeah i typed that last response on my phone and was a not really thinking of what i was saying. Just switch understeer and oversteer in that post and its what my car does. Also i have brake ducts for the front brakes as well as the thermostat mod which i havent had any problems in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

LSD? Quaife all the way, they are gear based instead of clutch based, and will provide more even wheel torque when one starts spinning.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #29
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@StageX View Post
I have a 2007 e92 335i.

current mods are:
JB4 G5 iso w/ COBB backend flash 100% e85 map 5
Dual cone intake
BMS oil catch can
VRSF downpipes
VRSF intercooler
Straight piped exhaust but with added vibrant resonators
M3 front suspension conversion bits
VMR 18x8.5 18x9.5
Toyo R888 255 285
zimmerman rotors
porsche super blue fluid
EBC red stuff
Motul power racing 300v 5w30
Water Wetter
Front alumalite splitter
m3 front bumper
some weight reduction car weighs 3400lbs without me in with a 1/2 tank of gas

Im in the market for:
Limited slip diff - -Which one do you guys suggest?
Coilovers - Im looking for soemthing that i can get for around 2k with camber plates

Right now the car is pretty great i never have problems over heating and the grip is incredible with the r888's

does anyone have any suggestions on any mods i should do?

Depends on the production date of your 2007 335i, it's either a welded or bolted ring gear. If bolted, you have lots of options(Wavetrac, Quaife, OS Giken, custom 2 or 3 clutch) at relatively low prices. If welded, you must purchase a complete final drive with LSD already installed.

A good coilover under 2K with camber plates? There is no such thing! You have got to spend a bit more, especially for a track car. A good single adjust Koni based coilover with camber plates will run you just under $2100. Better would run you around 3K and best would be north of $5000.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I have done it in reverse!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #31
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I take that back. If there's a will, there's a way.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #32
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Well played, sir
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #33
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Do you get rubbing with 255 up front? I'm looking at getting PSS for this upcoming spring. My car is daily plus I want to take it out on track. I was thinking about running 255front 275 rear. Lowered on kw v2 not dropped too much. And will be getting m3 control arms too for more feedback plus adds camber up front. Not sure if I will rub or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Maybe I missed it, but what is your track experience? Have you taken this car to the track?

You said:
Quote:
Right now the car is pretty great i never have problems over heating and the grip is incredible with the r888's

does anyone have any suggestions on any mods i should do?
So I'm unsure what to say other than enjoy the car ...
      03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
Do you get rubbing with 255 up front? I'm looking at getting PSS for this upcoming spring. My car is daily plus I want to take it out on track. I was thinking about running 255front 275 rear. Lowered on kw v2 not dropped too much. And will be getting m3 control arms too for more feedback plus adds camber up front. Not sure if I will rub or not.
Im stock ride height i dont rub but you may lowered however idk what wheels you are running
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #36
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Im stock ride height i dont rub but you may lowered however idk what wheels you are running
running alufelgens 19x8.5/9.5 et 35 all around
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #37
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
I run the PFC 08's at the track. AMAZING bite and no fade. And they hold up great. Worth the $$$.
+1! The PFC 08s are fantastic pads for the track.
      04-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #38
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
So any talk of a build without 1) upgrading cooling for the engine
Care to elaborate? I want to eventually track my 335i after I do a lot more learning on the subject (I'm thinking June of this year, or even later). I was thinking that before I do anything else I should look into upgrading the cooling components of the engine.

Which components specifically should I be looking to upgrade?
      04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Care to elaborate? I want to eventually track my 335i after I do a lot more learning on the subject (I'm thinking June of this year, or even later). I was thinking that before I do anything else I should look into upgrading the cooling components of the engine.

Which components specifically should I be looking to upgrade?
Do you already have mods on your car? Such as a FMIC to prevent heatsoaking?

As far as cooling the engine, you look into upgraded oilcooler(s). If your car is a manual, that should be enough to start. If it's an automatic, you'll run into hot coolant temps. In that case you should read the sticky "335i limp mode party at the track" thread
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #40
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Do you already have mods on your car? Such as a FMIC to prevent heatsoaking?

As far as cooling the engine, you look into upgraded oilcooler(s). If your car is a manual, that should be enough to start. If it's an automatic, you'll run into hot coolant temps. In that case you should read the sticky "335i limp mode party at the track" thread
No mods yet, and unfortunately it's an automatic (I could only find 2 manual transmissions and they were in the midwest).

Sounds like I should start with FMIC and then look for oilcoolers. I started reading that limp mode thread a few weeks ago, which is what got me thinking about all this stuff in the first place.

Realistically I just want to take a performance driving class that allows you a few track sessions and then be prepared for when I get a better track car in the future.
      04-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #41
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
No mods yet, and unfortunately it's an automatic (I could only find 2 manual transmissions and they were in the midwest).

Sounds like I should start with FMIC and then look for oilcoolers. I started reading that limp mode thread a few weeks ago, which is what got me thinking about all this stuff in the first place.

Realistically I just want to take a performance driving class that allows you a few track sessions and then be prepared for when I get a better track car in the future.
Getting a 335i ready for track-duty requires alot of work and deep pockets. Basically every component is comfort-oriented, which is just the opposite of what you need in a trackcar. I'm talking about the bushings, suspension geometry, seats etc etc. So getting a dedicated track car may be a good decision.

For an occasional trackday with the 335 coilovers + some M3 chassis parts will improve the handling alot. From there, it all depends what you want to achieve.

Greets,

Christian
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0