E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Aston Martin Factory Tour

02-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #45
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

A couple more pics from outside. The DBS was being driven up and down to make a motion shot for the camera. What a noise from the engine...

[IMG][/IMG]

Spot the extra Halfords Badge on this DB9:

[IMG][/IMG]

Another car in the accident bay. A Vantage that was hit in the rear quarter and door. You can see the remains of the car that hit it stuck in the wheel. A new door is being assembled and the fittings being placed on by the engineer. This car was nearly finished and will be back with its owner tonight. Bet the person who hit it thought 'this is going to be an expensive day.'
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a DB7 that went down a man hole with a missing cover. It needed a new inner wing under the front passanger side. The cars can be stripped down pretty quick apparently as they know them so well and have done it lots of times. Anyway new panel made for this one and put in so ready to be put back together now.

[IMG][/IMG]

This area produces the leather interiors for the DB9. All these are made here and sent to Gaydon to be installed in finished cars.

A rear seat package for the DB9

[IMG][/IMG]

Ready to be shipped to Gaydon. These boxes would be useful if you were moving house.

Next section is the restoration centre which was fantastic to see the craftmanship that is still availible in the British Motor Industry. The pictures cannot convey the smell of metal, engines, resins, etc that you feel in a place like this.

This is a DB5 which was in an old barn which had been bricked up by the previous owners. The new owners opened the barn up to find this car rotting away and here it is now on it's way back to life. The car was stunning and the 3 guys inside were working on the roof linings and interior trim.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

DB4 which is undergoing full restoration which will take about 2 years in total. Lots of new bodywork hand made - the quality is stunning when you think the car is put on a jig and built up to such small tollerance. All panels are individual and stunning. The Aluminium will go through a chemical process so the paint can bond on made up of 3 base layers, 3 paint layers and lacquer and lots of polishing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Simply Stunning and nearly finished for one lucky owner......

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

They can do any personalisation you might desire. This beast is being bored out from 5.3 to 6.3 litres for an extra 100bhp to 600bhp.

Having the arches roled out to fit the larger wheels/tyres and the owner wanted a unique rear bumper made for the car which was a bit more aggresive and muscular -Why not I guess. He worked with the bodywork guy to design and have his unique car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another car in restoration

[IMG][/IMG]

Aluminium panel on top of steel panel. From a flat boring sheet this guy makes these wonderful cars. So much skill and I guess it will be lost forever in the next generation.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wash bay which all cars go through when they arrive for servicing, restoration, repair. All items inside are itemised and valubles put in the safe. All scratches, etc are marked and recorded so the owner can have them repaired if they desire whilst the car is in and so they can check no damage happened on site.

[IMG][/IMG]

Test for E90 Post members can you name this Aston????? only about 7 of this model was made.
The rear indictors are built into the back and apparently the lights go on one at a time throught all 5 lights..

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

A delicious DB5

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally a few cars parked outside.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I really enjoyed the afternoon at Newport Pagnell and I hope the pics have helped give a flavour of the day.

Last edited by Gibbo; 03-02-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #46
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Gibs you muppet i have had a V8 vantage on several w/ends as a hire car and on Demo as local stealership are allbeit crapstones,but i resisted temptation because of pending divorce settlement and got a sensible toy instead and now i have that "urge" AGAIN

Nice pics pal,i really gotta go there one day
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #47
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
M3 sensible, haha
      03-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #48
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Gibbo, superb pics, I am very envious.

I particularly love the older Astons there, that sage green DB(6??)

And the 70s-80s V8 - wonderful.

I always thought if I ever had the money I'd buy a 911 over an Aston. Now I think BO***CKS TO THAT!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #49
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
I want a) any of the cars and b) one of those boxes! Imagine what your neighbors might think as an Aston Martin box is unloaded at your new home.

Maybe we can somehow work in a tour for UK5.5 or UK6. Any clues on how this can be done?
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0