E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ridiculous on winters

01-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #111
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think for a lot of people, these winter tyres have been a giant waste of money and time so far, brought on by panic and non rational thought.

Even if we do get a bit of snow in February, it means that people will have had very poor performing tyres for over 2 months, just so they can have better performing tyres for 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #112
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-16683010

Now you have gone and done it!

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #113
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-16683010

Now you have gone and done it!

Thanks a lot.
Yep best stay indoors mate, its a brisk 11 degrees C on Tuesday in London!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #114
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

LOL

But I wont be in London
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #115
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
I think for a lot of people, these winter tyres have been a giant waste of money and time so far, brought on by panic and non rational thought.
Strong words, but I think after 2 bad winters the odds were stacked against a 3rd really.

I was lucky and bought mine in November 2009 so I got weeks and weeks of ice a snow use out of them along with prolonged sub-zero temps (-14 etc), for someone who's self employed it meant every single day I was able to get to site I could get paid.

So in 2 or 3 days they were paid for.

If I was a regular employee though, I'd just phone up work and say I couldn't get in. They can buy me a suitable set of wheels and tyres if the company car I they'd given me wasn't up to the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #116
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

I notice how everyone who is against the idea of a winter tyre quotes the peak daytime temperature. I don't know about everyone else but I tend to commute when its dark and regularly nearer or at the night time temperature which hasn't been above 5C in a long time. Money well spent
      01-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #117
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexS
I notice how everyone who is against the idea of a winter tyre quotes the peak daytime temperature. I don't know about everyone else but I tend to commute when its dark and regularly nearer or at the night time temperature which hasn't been above 5C in a long time. Money well spent
I've yet to get stuck in the 2.5 degrees night temps thus far though. If 5% more grip is worth £700 to you then great...
      01-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #118
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexS View Post
I did think the same in previous winters when it was always below zero and icy on the commute for weeks on end, but maybe +5 or so at midday.

Not so much this winter though, well it's zero outside right now, prob be -2 or so in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #119
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post

Even if we do get a bit of snow in February, it means that people will have had very poor performing tyres for over 2 months, just so they can have better performing tyres for 2 days.
I sense how it must feel if the temperatures are 'too warm', if you are trying to compare with optimum summer driving.

Personally I don't see it that way at all, as in winter my driving style changes to suit the condtions anyway. Pull back a bit in all conditions.

But I do find winter tyres come into their own, over a very wide temperature range, (-10C to +8C). They are totally predictable, no issues from cold, no issues of needing warm tyres, no issues whether the road is wet or dry. Ride quality, road feel and feedback are so consistent at all temperatures.

The tyres are doing what a tyre is supposed to.

Now I have used summer tyres in winter. But even above 0C they are not at all consistent, you need 'warm up' to get predictable road feel and feedback. Even a chill down from heavy rain will change the driving feel immediately. So forgetting snow and ice risk, summer tyres are a poor relative to the cold weather tyre, over the cooler period.

Not a waste of money for me, even without snow.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #120
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Its not about the extra grip, which is obvious to anyone who's used them. Reduced wear is something to consider as well.

I know there's no point trying to argue with you as your mind is made up, but your wrong :P
      01-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #121
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Strong words, but I think after 2 bad winters the odds were stacked against a 3rd really.
I agree, but why were people fitting these tyres in early/mid November when the temperatures were 12-15c. If people wanted to be prepared - by all means, buy the tyres and alloys, but hold off on the fitting until appropriate. Unfortunately for winter tyre uses, "appropriate" winter tyres conditions for the majority of us in England have not yet become a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I was lucky and bought mine in November 2009 so I got weeks and weeks of ice a snow use out of them along with prolonged sub-zero temps (-14 etc), for someone who's self employed it meant every single day I was able to get to site I could get paid.

So in 2 or 3 days they were paid for.
This is a very good reason to have them and it was a logical and sensible decision for you to have them. But i still would have held off fitting them until they were really needed (subzero temperatures for days with snow).

Quote:
I notice how everyone that fits winter tyres exaggerates the temperatures they drive in. For most of us in England, at 8-9am in the morning the temperatures have been about 5-6c, daytime highs of about 10-13c and lows of around 3-4c. I follow the weather closely and i also check temperatures regularly, and apart for a couple of days in the last 2 weeks, the temperature has consistently remained above 5c. It was 10.5c at lunch time and on my commute back this evening was 9c.

Just face it - you have the wrong tyres fitted and you're exaggerating how low the temperatures are in an attempt to justify your (very expensive) tyre purchase to yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
I've yet to get stuck in the 2.5 degrees night temps thus far though. If 5% more grip is worth £700 to you then great...
Same. Even then, this winter has been very dry than normal, and a UHP tyre will absolutely destroy a winter tyre in the dry even in sub-zero temperatures. In the dry, winter tyres are comparable to WanLi's.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #122
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not a waste of money for me, even without snow.

HighlandPete
That's because you live in the Highlands of Scotland

Quote:
Its not about the extra grip, which is obvious to anyone who's used them.
Huh? Are you saying winter tyres are not about the extra grip? What are they about then? Having the ability to brag to anyone that will listen that you have winter tyres?

Quote:
Reduced wear is something to consider as well.
Winter tyres wear HORRIBLY in dry conditions. And yep, that's right, we've had a very dry winter this year. :/

Quote:
I know there's no point trying to argue with you as your mind is made up, but your wrong :P
Right back at you :P at least i've got facts and figures on my side though
Appreciate 0