E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Water in drivers headlight

11-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

Water in drivers headlight

When I bought the car a month ago it had the indicator bulb holder missing so bought a new one from BMW, took a 4 hour drive to Manchester and back the next day and the heat off the headlights dried it out. Washed it a couple if days later and it's came back a little bit but again dried out after a couple of days. Now I'm one of these people that had to wash my car every week so after doing so at the weekend the headlight looks soaked inside and with the colder weather it's not drying out. I put 4 silica gel sachets in the head light last night and checked this morning and its still the same

I've checked all over the headlight and can't find any cracks or anything where moisture can be getting in so I'm not sure where to go from now? Can the lens be taken off the headlight like the e46's?
Only place I can find damaged is both the top clips are broken

Is there a way of fixing the water in the headlight or do you think I have no other option than to buy new lights?

Daz
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

When I got in from work, went out to the car to see if the silica gel had done anything and nope it's still the same

So I had the lights on and just looking around the headlight and notice some lights peering through the plastic, on closer inspection there is a big crack in the plastic right next to the bracket

The picture doesn't quite show all the crack as it prob goes another 1/4 inch but this is obviously where the moisture is getting in.

So to temp fix it I have put (don't laugh too much) pleanty of duck tape over, across and around the crack and put 12 yes 12 silica gel packs in the headlight to see if this withdraws the moisture that way I know for deffinate if it is the crack that's causing the water in the headlight which I hope it is.

If it is then dry at the weekend I would like to try do a permanent fix for this. What do you think would be my best way of doing this? My dad suggested using arodite with a hard plastic to cover over the crack and my brother in-law suggested some liquid metal compound?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
TAKE THE SILICA OUT NOW!

Posting from my phone hence can't post the link, but a bloke on z4-forum had the same issue abcs used silica sachets. It reacted with the water and electricity inside the headlamp and the entire assembly including wiring corroded. New headlight and new wiring was required...