E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Adding XD600/6 To OEM Hifi Speakers DIY Pics

11-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Adding XD600/6 To OEM Hifi Speakers DIY Pics

Well i've been bored lately and last weekend finally decided to start my audio upgrade. Picked up a brand new XD600/6 on ebay for $300 and ordered the technic harness. I decided i'd post up a bunch of pics of the process to help people diy the install since it seems very straightforward and easy to me. I have the amp already so now i'm just waiting for the harness to show up to finish. Yesterday I got started on getting the amp setup to technic's recommended specs and pulling out my meth tank and getting ready for the harness to finish the install.

I think i'm just going to pull off the oem amp and rack and then hold in the new one with strong velcro. If anyone has any other recommendations for me to try with the settings on the amp let me know. I'm going to run like this and hope I notice a big difference. If it isn't enough or I blow my stock speakers I plan to switch to the MB quart kit. Anyways here are the pics so far

Edit: Also wanted to mention I am going to try and get a video showing the difference just adding the amp makes. I'll be using a variety of songs to see how it reacts to many different genres. Some rap, rock, EDM, and country are on the list I have to try and video

Edit 11/14/13:

Harness finally came and finished up the install. Pics are below and video trying to show before and after will hopefully be up soon

Cutting the oem rack to fit the new amp:

Oem amp:

So now that i've done the install I will say the difference is very noticeable. Speakers now sound the way they should have came directly from BMW. Bass is definitely more pronounced and better sounding and it is overall a good improvement. For now i'm extremely satisfied although time will tell. Hopefully I don't blow the speakers too soon or i'll need to get some new ones...

The Technic harness is amazing. Makes the install extremely simple and easy for anyone to do. If anyone has any questions on what exactly I did in the diy pics or anything feel free to post below and i'll answer them the best I can.

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ

Last edited by psmitty95; 11-15-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Hello psmitty95, I just registered and for me this is an interesting post, I'm planning on doing exactly what your doing on mine in the next few weeks.

Understanding the set up / settings you think works best should be a great help
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

got that amp for an amazing price I would luv one.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
got that amp for an amazing price I would luv one.
Yea I was very happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
Hello psmitty95, I just registered and for me this is an interesting post, I'm planning on doing exactly what your doing on mine in the next few weeks.

Understanding the set up / settings you think works best should be a great help
Well these are just the recommended settings I found from one of technic's threads. I'm going to give them a try and if they don't sound good to me i'll try something else. I'll have pics of where i plugged in all the technic harness wires and whatnot. Even though its self explanatory I figured some guys on here might want to see pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Well i've been bored lately and last weekend finally decided to start my audio upgrade. Picked up a brand new XD600/6 on ebay for $300 and ordered the technic harness. I decided i'd post up a bunch of pics of the process to help people diy the install since it seems very straightforward and easy to me. I have the amp already so now i'm just waiting for the harness to show up to finish. Yesterday I got started on getting the amp setup to technic's recommended specs and pulling out my meth tank and getting ready for the harness to finish the install.

I think i'm just going to pull off the oem amp and rack and then hold in the new one with strong velcro. If anyone has any other recommendations for me to try with the settings on the amp let me know. I'm going to run like this and hope I notice a big difference. If it isn't enough or I blow my stock speakers I plan to switch to the MB quart kit. Anyways here are the pics so far

Edit: Also wanted to mention I am going to try and get a video showing the difference just adding the amp makes. I'll be using a variety of songs to see how it reacts to many different genres. Some rap, rock, EDM, and country are on the list I have to try and video
You should receive your harness Wednesday...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:

You should receive your harness Wednesday...
Awesome, can't wait. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Actually, Thursday... yesterday was a holiday, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Actually, Thursday... yesterday was a holiday, sorry.
Oh ok no problem
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

JL XD600/6 is an awesome upgrade. I ditched my Logic 7 amp for it a few months ago and couldn't be happier!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

HiFi speakers sound slightly better with an aftermarket amp. However, you're ditching the fixed EQ curve that the HiFi amp applies to make the HiFi speakers sound less annoying. You will notice more upper mid/lower treble harshness and some midrange oddness. We have had a number of people add this amp to HiFi systems and later ask us for speaker upgrades, just so you know.

Front channels out of HiFi amp:

Woofer channels:

So those aren't "vehicle-interior" acoustic settings (if they were, we would see the same general curve applied to Logic 7 and HK systems, and we don't). Those are to make the stock speakers less annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
HiFi speakers sound slightly better with an aftermarket amp. However, you're ditching the fixed EQ curve that the HiFi amp applies to make the HiFi speakers sound less annoying. You will notice more upper mid/lower treble harshness and some midrange oddness. We have had a number of people add this amp to HiFi systems and later ask us for speaker upgrades, just so you know.

Woofer channels:

So those aren't "vehicle-interior" acoustic settings (if they were, we would see the same general curve applied to Logic 7 and HK systems, and we don't). Those are to make the stock speakers less annoying.
Well i'm not an audiophile by any means but I do know what sounds good and what does not. In my opinion the stock hifi is one of the worst car stereo's i've listened to. I'm hoping the amp helps for me but I won't find out until I do it. If it's not enough or I blow the stock speakers the plan are doing the MBquarts. I would have gone with your setup but i'm doing this on a budget and don't want to go crazy. Since I already have the amp and harness do you sell your speakers seperate? If so could you shoot me a PM with the price of doing something similar to the MB quart kit (drop in door, tweeter, and subs). If it's relatively close to the price of the MB quart kit but higher quality I will go with yours when the time comes
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I wonder how the Jehnert 3 way kit compares to the MB Quart kit, both sq and price.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i
I wonder how the Jehnert 3 way kit compares to the MB Quart kit, both sq and price.
I know in terms of price it is more expensive. The mb quart is $517 shipped which I think is pretty good
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Well i'm not an audiophile by any means but I do know what sounds good and what does not. In my opinion the stock hifi is one of the worst car stereo's i've listened to.
agreed... I can't believe anyone would be happy with the trash that's fitted to my car.

I've been driving an Omega with a Bose factory upgrade for last 9 years and I thought it was naff... its not comparable to the BMW system. The BM is so bad I wish someone would steal the car...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I ran my xd for a few days on the stocks and

it was a big improvement. The tweeters weren't as harsh when turned
up and I was actually getting some bass out of the underseats .
The morels really sing in the doors and are not harsh .
The Jehnerts have some of the most well defined tight bass
I have ever heard. Most of the reports here say the MB's are more
harsh an trebly for the doors. That was the older style MB's though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
agreed... I can't believe anyone would be happy with the trash that's fitted to my car.

I've been driving an Omega with a Bose factory upgrade for last 9 years and I thought it was naff... its not comparable to the BMW system. The BM is so bad I wish someone would steal the car...
Yea I know... Stay posted for my results in here and if they are good then you can do what I did for around 4-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
it was a big improvement. The tweeters weren't as harsh when turned
up and I was actually getting some bass out of the underseats .
The morels really sing in the doors and are not harsh .
The Jehnerts have some of the most well defined tight bass
I have ever heard. Most of the reports here say the MB's are more
harsh an trebly for the doors. That was the older style MB's though.
Hmm I wonder how the new MB's are. Is the difference very noticeable with just the XD on all music genres?

I just went outside and filmed the before video of a bunch of different songs for you guys. Gonna put it into imovie in a bit and see if it captured the sound decently on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
ian2002525
台灣 台北市
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 GT-R Premium

Garage List
2011 335i coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

Woofer channels:

Require any coding or re-program after installing an aftermarket amp or even logic 7 amp? thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Can I do this to my L7 and get more power to the subs this way?

Also how do I get to the bass and treble setting on the idrive? lol
      11-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2002525 View Post
Require any coding or re-program after installing an aftermarket amp or even logic 7 amp? thank you!
It depends what system you have. It would be more work than its worth to install a logic 7 amp if you don't already have logic 7.

I'm assuming you don't have logic 7 since you were asking about installing a logic 7 amp, but if you did you'd have to recode to hifi to use an amp that accepts balanced inputs.

If you have hifi then no coding required the xd600/6 is a perfect replacement.

If you have base you'll need to recode to hifi or use a cleansweep to fix the eq you'll also want to replace the speakers if you actually want to make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #20
ian2002525
台灣 台北市
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 GT-R Premium

Garage List
2011 335i coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
It depends what system you have. It would be more work than its worth to install a logic 7 amp if you don't already have logic 7.

I'm assuming you don't have logic 7 since you were asking about installing a logic 7 amp, but if you did you'd have to recode to hifi to use an amp that accepts balanced inputs.

If you have hifi then no coding required the xd600/6 is a perfect replacement.

If you have base you'll need to recode to hifi or use a cleansweep to fix the eq you'll also want to replace the speakers if you actually want to make a difference.
No, i don't have logic 7 amp, so i will need to recode
Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

updated it with pics of the install from today. Video attempting to showcase the difference coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0