E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan intake problem...help

03-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #45
Bpower
Banned
Rep
Drives: E-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Don't worry I am sure they read this forum. I know because when I had problems with their flash and couldn't get their dealers to help me and I went on a rant, they asked someone to reach out to me tell me they wanted to talk. Eventually I was proven right about the issue I was having with the tune, I got an apology, but it was too little too late in my case. Now let them fix this otherwise awesome intake.
To some point I think they (Dinan workers) don't care. I wrote a letter to Steve Dinan to let him know that his companies reputation can potentially go down because of poor customer service. Like I said before, taking care of the customer does not constitute in making an idiot out of him or not taking in consideration that the part can indeed be faulty. I dont think its professional for one Dinan worker to bash another, instead they should maintain somewhat professional decorum.

Big ticket price parts (IMO)= Outstanding customer service= good business practice= happy customer = good company reputation/big money in Dinans pocket!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #46
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
To some point I think they (Dinan workers) don't care. I wrote a letter to Steve Dinan to let him know that his companies reputation can potentially go down because of poor customer service. Like I said before, taking care of the customer does not constitute in making an idiot out of him or not taking in consideration that the part can indeed be faulty. I dont think its professional for one Dinan worker to bash another, instead they should maintain somewhat professional decorum.

Big ticket price parts (IMO)= Outstanding customer service= good business practice= happy customer = good company reputation/big money in Dinans pocket!
Welcome to the club... Dinan fumbled the ball for months when i had a problem with my flash. support after the sale lacking.

btw dinan does read the forums and believe me they are aware of this msg.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
After trying to resolve this issue I got progressively frustrated and almost bought a new lid. They quoted me 400 and some change just for the lid! They were eager to sell me a lid ( with an additional discount), rather than honoring their warranty and resolve it at no additional expense.
This post is the most disappointing the whole thread. It's very important for Dinan to uphold excellent customer service because of their price. There are simply too many other options out there (for more performance at half the price) for them to drop the ball.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #48
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
This post is the most disappointing the whole thread. It's very important for Dinan to uphold excellent customer service because of their price. There are simply too many other options out there (for more performance at half the price) for them to drop the ball.
I totally agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #49
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Welcome to the club... Dinan fumbled the ball for months when i had a problem with my flash. support after the sale lacking.

btw dinan does read the forums and believe me they are aware of this msg.

ppp
I told them I was going to post everywhere, starting this forum. I hope they do read. Just wanted to make sure Steve is aware of it since its his company. I am sure he would care and fixed it (I would) if he knew. When he does read my letter, he wont be and to his support/warranty team.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #50
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

If you feel like a long winded Dinan read...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421863
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #51
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Sad experience, reminds me of mine...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #52
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Update...

UPDATE: After my repair the clip didn't come off even once. Further proves that the intake lid was defective.

Last edited by Bpower; 03-11-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #53
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:

Recall I was the first to complain about the Palcebo flash way back when and got bashed to no end only to be proven right weeks later. After 500 miles of headache testing and going to 3 different dealers in NJ. Finally issue was discovered and resolved. Next time I went for service and they flashed over it, I asked them not to re-install it. Got off that bus many many moons ago and happy as clams.

Yes I paid for the S2, but that does not mean I have to live with a mistake for life does it? I also bought the intake years later, and happy with it. The clip no longer comes off, it just kinda worked itself in and all is fine. I'd buy another part I liked and that low risk of any issue, but I have since moved to an alternative tune. I don't live in the past. But that said, the point I am making is customer service and making customers prove an issue exists instead of investigating it, will loose you more business than inferior but ok products. Would I buy their flash on any other model even if they were the only horse at the show? JMHO no. Why is that? My experience with the flash issue resolution was a PITA.
      03-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #54
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

After seeing this post I just about had a panic. Ran outside popped the hood, and everything was intact with the Dinan CAI.

I had the Dinan dealer install mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #55
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

No need to Panic, its just an intake man, not the end of the world. Just putting things in perspective here. I had same problem myself but didn't really care and even forgot till I saw this. Actually it eventually took and solved itself. I wiggled it a few times, popped the lid on a few occasions and pout it back eventually it just sits like it was meant to. Sort of like new tires on a car, you need 500 miles or so for them to really sit and form to get the intended performance. Thats not to say they shouldn't have made sure it fit better, but IMO not a big deal. I'd never get and install those cones people go all gaga about.
      03-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #56
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
After seeing this post I just about had a panic. Ran outside popped the hood, and everything was intact with the Dinan CAI.

I had the Dinan dealer install mine.
You are one of the lucky ones that haven't head that problem then. I hope it still stays in tact after you drive your car somewhat hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #57
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
No need to Panic, its just an intake man, not the end of the world. Just putting things in perspective here. I had same problem myself but didn't really care and even forgot till I saw this. Actually it eventually took and solved itself. I wiggled it a few times, popped the lid on a few occasions and pout it back eventually it just sits like it was meant to. Sort of like new tires on a car, you need 500 miles or so for them to really sit and form to get the intended performance. Thats not to say they shouldn't have made sure it fit better, but IMO not a big deal. I'd never get and install those cones people go all gaga about.
I gave mine maybe 5 tries reinstalling and wiggling. The clip would just pop off too easily even after it sat there for days (while the car was static in the garage).

IMHO its a design flaw. I bet you 1k that if the clip "seats" were identical to a stock cover design it would have never popped off. My guess is they don't make it like that because it would make it hard to have carbon stick out that much higher and if you do it with just resin then it could be prone to braking.

In my case, making a little more of the groove worked and its been quiet a while since I fixed it and it hasn't came off since.

As of the dual cones I think they decrease your HP. When they dyno their cars the hood is usually open so it makes those dual cones act as CAI but when the hood is closed they suck in all the hot air from the engine bay.

This 335i is my 8th car I owned in the past 6-7 years. I modified half of my cars and had an active project car I made into my race car. I have an understanding of how stuff works.

My previous car (before 335i)

Last edited by Bpower; 03-13-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #58
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you buy the intake new?
      03-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #59
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Did you buy the intake new?
Yes, directly from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #60
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Update...

Wrote a pretty big letter addressed to Steve Dinan and sent it on its way. So far few months went by and no reply. Well I think that sums it all up.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #61
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Did you just call them? Usually the Dinan rep is really good about fixing things to make the customer happy... that's what they're known for...

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #62
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Wrote a pretty big letter addressed to Steve Dinan and sent it on its way. So far few months went by and no reply. Well I think that sums it all up.
Took your money and already spent it on hot girls and cars! No wonder why Dinan has losts it popularity these days with BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #63
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Did you just call them? Usually the Dinan rep is really good about fixing things to make the customer happy... that's what they're known for...
No offense but did you read the thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #64
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Took your money and already spent it on hot girls and cars! No wonder why Dinan has losts it popularity these days with BMW!
That's very true. Damn, you been here since the time of Jesus, 13k posts!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #65
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
No offense but did you read the thread?
Haha, good call... I read it after I wrote the message, my bad. It's disappointing because they have been so good to me service-wise... I don't know how you somehow fell through the cracks... =/

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #66
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

When did you send the letter? I know it says a few months have gone by but this thread is only 6 weeks old. Did you mail or email it? It is unlike them to just ignore something. I had a problem a while back and Steve Dinan actually called me. Right now I am working with them to solve something and we email back and forth or talk once or twice a day.