E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrading sound system with iDrive

02-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
BeefTaquito
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 TiAg 330i

Upgrading sound system with iDrive

Hey i'm new to the forums and hopefully will be getting a new 3 series within the next few months. Before I get too involved I was wondering how easy it is to do a speaker upgrade if I decide to get iDrive for the car. I know on my A4 i had to change out my head unit because the stock one was low-output. I can't remember the terminology completely but it was something like that. Am i better off not getting the iDrive and buying an in-dash display or will I be able to upgrade the car speakers, subwoofers, add an ipod, etc. with the iDrive and still maintain good audio quality.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
BeefTaquito
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 TiAg 330i

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
not too sure...do a search regarding speaker upgrades and maybe someting will pop up. i remember hearing somewhere that it is pretty diffucult. i could be wrong though..
      02-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
loopsandsounds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7M50, GT3RS, G80 M3, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaquito
Am i better off not getting the iDrive and buying an in-dash display or will I be able to upgrade the car speakers, subwoofers, add an ipod, etc. with the iDrive and still maintain good audio quality.
Thanks
You really need to ask yourself why you want to upgrade the speakers to begin with. With iDrive you are getting a Logic 7 balanced system. Everything is optimalized for Logic 7 playback. (Think center speakers) If you think that you are going to just swap speakers out and get "better" sound that the factory stereo, think again. If you are really interested in replacing speakers, you are probably going to add an amp, and if you are going to add an amp you are going to replace your headunit, and if you are going to replace the headunit, you are going to render your iDrive useless, (and your BMW Assist, and your Bluetooth) Moral of the story is, if you are planning on touching your stereo system, DON'T buy iDrive. If you want all the iDrive goodness, just leave your stereo alone (you'll find it's quite good).
Appreciate 0