E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V2 coilover bump stop dust cover CRACKED

11-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
w2lo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

KW V2 coilover bump stop dust cover CRACKED

Hi all,

Last week I was driving around and noticed some clinking noises from the front left side of the car, sounded like a suspension problem. I would hear the sound when taking a hard turn and the weight is on the driver's. I checked the suspension and noticed that the dust cover under the bump stop was cracked and half of it was hanging on the bumpstop. Only the left side is cracked, right side looks good still. Was thinking it might have been due to a big pothole...

Did a quick search but didn't find any relevant topics on this forum so thought I'd post one. Since the dust cover covers the shock area, I want to try to get these replaced.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Would I be able to go thru warranty on these? I believe I found some replacement parts online, but maybe there are rubber ones instead of plastic ones that break easily? Any cheap alternatives to getting them fixed?

Here's a pic I snapped with the wheel still on the car, small gap so poor picture.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
I would contact t kw and see what they say especially if you are the first owner and have a warranty on it.
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
w2lo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

hey 330,

so right after i posted the thread, i contacted KW for a replacement boot under warranty. they will be sending me a replacement boot, but i still have to take time and money to get it installed and realigned...

That's fine with me if the replacement is good and flexible like the rubber oem covers, but I'm worried that it may crack again later on and I have to do this again...

Was wondering if i should just get something like this:

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

you shouldn't need to get another alignment if you only replace the dust boot. as long as the spring perches aren't moved, your ride height will be unchanged.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
you shouldn't need to get another alignment if you only replace the dust boot. as long as the spring perches aren't moved, your ride height will be unchanged.
Very true!
Appreciate 0