E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BBK upgrade for street use (mainly)

11-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #23
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Upgrade pads and fluid first. Try RBF600 fluid and PFC-08 pads, then report back after a track day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Exactly. The stock brakes are not bad at all especially with some inexpensive upgrades. A BBK is for looks or for people you routinely track their cars. On the road there is almost no benefit.

OP, your money would be much better spent elsewhere. But do what you want.

Did either of you bother to read my damned OP?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #24
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Yes. New rotors and pads and SS lines are FAR away from a BBK in cost. Like not even in the same realm. As you are going black it is not for looks so performance wise the stock brakes will be fine as you don't track your car afaik. Even if you do the stock brakes hold up pretty damn good, as I have read, on the track.

I can only assume you don't like the replies you are hearing.

Dude i'm in NE as well. Come drive my car and decide if you need a BBK. 1/3 of the year up here it's shit weather and a BBK is useless imo.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-29-2015 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. New rotors and pads and SS lines are FAR away from a BBK in cost. Like not even in the same realm. As you are going black it is not for looks so performance wise the stock brakes will be fine as you don't track your car afaik. Even if you do the stock brakes hold up pretty damn good, as I have read, on the track.

Dude i'm in NE as well. Come drive my car and decide if you need a BBK. 1/3 of the year up here it's shit weather and a BBK is useless imo.
OP I did as well. And perhap I should have spelt out my point a little more. For the best bang for your buck from a performance perspective; stick with OE brakes for the street and aggressive pads and higher temp brake fluid for the track. Having new street brakes + a race set will still be a fraction the cost of any proper BBK that's worth buying.

That being said, most folks who go BBK do it purely for aesthetics, not for function. If the aesthetics are an important component (not mentioned in the OP), go with a BBK. But for me, I would (and do!) run PFC's/RBF600 on my stock rotors/calipers. This is coming from someone who tracks their 335 quite a bit (and my 335 is also my DD).

Last edited by sirdaft1; 11-29-2015 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

OP already made up his mind on getting BBK. So don't bother convincing him otherwise

Stop tech is good, but the newer AP Racing kit is nice as well if you want some of the largest and best rotors design on the market right now. I have their 370x36mm front axle kit, and can attest for its quality

Iron rotors will rust a bit, but it will not be noticeable since the hat, which is the most visible part, is made out of aluminum. Just rinse off your wheels and brakes with cold water on a weekly basis during the winter to wash off the salt.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #27
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
IB4 The Hack rains on this...

I think it's unjustified personally. There is a huge cost difference between pads/rotors/SS lines and fluid to a BBK. More than 1-2k if we're talking new, as I spent around $500 for everything minus lines. Especially if you're driving the car in the winter, I'd hate to see the nice calipers ruined by salt. Real track days won't over power them unless you're pushing over 450-500whp. AutoX and 1/4 mile don't even phase them.

If you're building up the car, maybe do standard brake maintenance and paint the calipers a clean color, then put the 1-2k towards a winter beater IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #28
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

The only phrase in the OP that seems to answer the most important question of all (what is it you are most interested in - performance or appearance) is when OP said, "...they'll look great..."

If you are interested in a BBK entirely for the looks then by all means, pick whichever one you think is prettiest. Don't worry about rust as long as you are driving it regularly.

If you care about performance, well as everyone else has already stated, you're probably never going to come near the performance envelope of the stock brakes, particularly if you do a pad upgrade. I say this because you didn't say things like "I track a lot" or "i regularly experience fade from long downhill stints on my daily commute"...

Keep in mind I have a Stoptech BBK, so this isn't coming from a place of brand loyalty - just common sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #29
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
IB4 The Hack rains on this...
You know it's like saying "Beetlejuice" right?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #30
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You know it's like saying "Beetlejuice" right?
It worked.

I actually agreed with your statements on the brakes for this car. Won't look at a BBK for a while. Suspension, however, I'll argue tooth and nail.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #31
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

I like the replies that address what I wrote. I said I'm willing to spend more because it looks good, and I'm about to write a check. Then I listed out some really easy to understand questions.

If you can answer them, awesome. But as long as you're just going to be typing crap so you can read your own post, repeating obvious crap that everyone knows, spare me and all of us. I didn't ask to compare to the stock system, because I know how it compares. That's why I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict
I do not track a lot, and I've read enough on this forum to know that there won't be any major performance increases.
Quote:
I don't NEED a BBK. Again. Read the OP. I'm considering an upgrade because:

Quote:
I'm thinking why not just take the leap. They'll look great, and still perform well.

Should I repost the questions too?

Last edited by AWD Addict; 12-01-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #32
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
OP already made up his mind on getting BBK. So don't bother convincing him otherwise
Thanks bud. Someone gets it. Just looking to get some other questions answered as to what I'd be getting into.

Quote:
Stop tech is good, but the newer AP Racing kit is nice as well if you want some of the largest and best rotors design on the market right now. I have their 370x36mm front axle kit, and can attest for its quality

Iron rotors will rust a bit, but it will not be noticeable since the hat, which is the most visible part, is made out of aluminum. Just rinse off your wheels and brakes with cold water on a weekly basis during the winter to wash off the salt.
Can't find if the AP kit is stainless, or will rust like some of the stop tech users have claimed. Definitely don't want rust, or to have to rust-proof. I really just want to know if salt and sand are going to trash these, and make the car less daily driver-able in the winter, or require more maintenance than I'd otherwise need (which right now is basically pads and rotors every 45k.)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #33
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks bud. Someone gets it.

Quote:

Can't find if the AP kit is stainless, or will rust like some of the stop tech users have claimed. Definitely don't want rust, or to have to rust-proof.
You won't find stainless steel rotors anywhere other than motorcycles and bicycles. Calipers of all these big brake kits are made of aluminum. So you have nothing to worry about for that.

All automotive rotors are made of irons. They will rust unless they have some very good rust proof coatings, which you don't find in almost all 2-piece true floating rotors.

Stop tech zinc coating probably won't last that long. But I doubt salts and rain will trash your BBK during the winter. Just rinse off your wheels and brakes with clear water once a week, you will be fine... Try not to overthink stuff.

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 12-01-2015 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #34
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
OP - I'd recommend you back up a bit from coming in so hot on your fellow forum members if you ever want anyone to help you going forward. In your initial post you flat out asked if you were nuts to consider a BBK.

Quote:
Finally, in general, am I nuts to do this? It's just that I'm looking at maybe a grand or two extra for work I need done anyways, and I'm thinking why not just take the leap. They'll look great, and still perform well.
You were receiving feedback to your question.

In addition, you also made it sound like you sometimes planned to track your car; thus leading to the discussion about other track friendly braking options.

So please show some common courtesy. We're all on the same team.

And TBH if it were me, I would reach out to the BBK manufacturers or vendors directly pertaining to your model specific questions.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #35
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

What about these rotors?

"From the Z4 35is, these rotors are an upgrade for 335 & xDrive35i models, offering a rust-free aluminum hat and weight savings of 2lbs each!" (z4 35is)

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...raking/Rotors/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #36
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
What about these rotors?

"From the Z4 35is, these rotors are an upgrade for 335 & xDrive35i models, offering a rust-free aluminum hat and weight savings of 2lbs each!" (z4 35is)

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...raking/Rotors/
waste of money... they are not true floating 2-piece and will still suffer from conical distortion under heavy duty use like the stock one piece.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #37
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
You won't find stainless steel rotors anywhere other than motorcycles and bicycles. Calipers of all these big brake kits are made of aluminum. So you have nothing to worry about for that.

All automotive rotors are made of irons. They will rust unless they have some very good rust proof coatings, which you don't find in almost all 2-piece true floating rotors.

Stop tech zinc coating probably won't last that long. But I doubt salts and rain will trash your BBK during the winter. Just rinse off your wheels and brakes with clear water once a week, you will be fine... Try not to overthink stuff.
No no no, I'm not worried about rotors. Just the calipers

I'm mostly worried that the BBK will not have the durability, mostly due to salt and sand/winter conditions, compared to the stock setup. I'm interested in the better look, and retaining the high performance, but not if it makes my daily driver a nightmare on maintenance, or a squealing pig every time I touch the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #38
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm mostly worried that the BBK will not have the durability, mostly due to salt and sand/winter conditions, compared to the stock setup. I'm interested in the better look, and retaining the high performance, but not if it makes my daily driver a nightmare on maintenance, or a squealing pig every time I touch the brakes.
My street pads are silent. Stick with street pads and you will be fine.

There will be no real difference in performance on the street, you will only notice the performance if you track your car as I said before. So if you are doing this just for looks don't get black because it will look stock and no one will notice. I like my red ones. But i've seen black and unless you really look it looks very much like stock.

However EVERYTHING is more expensive on these. Rotors are $250 each for instance that is not including the hat or hardware. A bad caliper will cost 2-3x what an OEM will to replace or to rebuild, plus down time. You can't just go buy a new caliper or rebuild kit at a local store for instance. IMO there is no way a BBK is as reliable as the stock OEM brakes. So just be prepared.

I would say you can try out my BBK but the car is going away for the winter this week after I get it washed. So other than pictures of it that is about it until the spring.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-07-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #39
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Race quality parts need race quality maintenance. If you are looking for something you will never have to touch again for another 30k miles, stay with OEM. Geezzz, if you really want the look, you can get those eBay caliper covers. They are good enough for your purpose from what I can gather...
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #40
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
My street pads are silent. Stick with street pads and you will be fine.

There will be no real difference in performance on the street, you will only notice the performance if you track your car as I said before. So if you are doing this just for looks don't get black because it will look stock and no one will notice. I like my red ones. But i've seen black and unless you really look it looks very much like stock.

However EVERYTHING is more expensive on these. Rotors are $250 each for instance that is not including the hat or hardware. A bad caliper will cost 2-3x what an OEM will to replace or to rebuild, plus down time. You can't just go buy a new caliper or rebuild kit at a local store for instance. IMO there is no way a BBK is as reliable as the stock OEM brakes. So just be prepared.

I would say you can try out my BBK but the car is going away for the winter this week after I get it washed. So other than pictures of it that is about it until the spring.
Very helpful post. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #41
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Race quality parts need race quality maintenance. If you are looking for something you will never have to touch again for another 30k miles, stay with OEM. Geezzz, if you really want the look, you can get those eBay caliper covers. They are good enough for your purpose from what I can gather...
I won't rice this car out. If this isn't a good option, it won't happen. I don't even have tints. Frankly, I like surprising people with my relatively innocent looking/sounding coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #42
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I won't rice this car out. If this isn't a good option, it won't happen. I don't even have tints. Frankly, I like surprising people with my relatively innocent looking/sounding coupe.
But yet you want to get a BBK for look...

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0